B.C. man left a paraplegic after boat collides with humpback

Capilano

It’s been 10 weeks since Mike Hamill’s life violently changed when his guided fishing boat collided with a humpback whale in Haida Gwaii. The accident left Hamill, a former B.C. wrestling, powerlifting and bodybuilding champion, a paraplegic.

Hamill, along with two friends, had just finished four days of fishing and were headed back to their lodge when the boat hit a humpback that was breaching just outside Naden Harbour on June 25.

“We were sitting facing the captain at the bow of the boat when there was this hard hit. A wham,” the 61-year-old Hamill explained.

“I went straight up and did a flip in the air, came down and ended up as part of the console of the boat.”

Hamill was immediately flown to Prince Rupert and then taken to Vancouver General Hospital’s Intensive Care Unit (ICU), where following an 11 hour surgery, he stayed for five weeks.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3718683/a...r-boat-collides-with-humpback-in-haida-gwaii/

I am surprised it does not happen more often and may given the the increasing numbers we see in JDF where we fish. Lately we see the Humpback almost everyday including seeing then going straight into Sooke Inlet where all the small Sport boats come in and go out and it is shallow in there so they are not down deep. I view them and the occasional Grays we get as the dumb cows of the sea. Given their size, they evolved without much to fear and go where they want and come up where they want.

Dogbreath is right, I don't worry about the Orca. They are just big Dolphins, highly maneuverable, can put on great burst of speed, have active sonar, and are highly intelligent and situationally aware. They are not going to come up under your boat or let you hit them just under the surface where you can't see them. I do stay away from them and out of their path as best we can because it is the law and no need to be in their way.

Last edited:
Same thing happened on north part of Island a couple of years back. Guy was airlifted to Victoria for surgery.

Geez, Mike Hamill and I go waaaay back. He used to supply my two fitness clubs in Alberta with most of our fitness equipment. Haven't seen him since the late 90's. What a tragedy...goes to show how fragile life is and why we should live life to the fullest every day because you just never know when something like this could happen to you...

Anyone aware of what lodge?

Peregrine Lodge
From what i heard staff did an excellent job(know a guide that was there) of handling situation..all saddened that this happened

Not that it matters where, as it could happen to anyone one of us out on the water on any given day.
Came VERY close to this happening to me one socked in misty morning going from Burdwood over to Lighthouse up in Nootka Sound..came up rite in front of me mid way.
I was lucky and was paying VERY close attention to what was in front of me that morning only because the weather/vision was so bad

Last edited:
..... it could happen to anyone one of us out on the water on any given day.
I was rocketing along WCVI one sunny day in a big GW with Iron Noggin at the helm we must have been doing 25 mph when he hauled it over HARD- a brainless Humpback had come up right in front of the boat if we had hit it at that speed none of us would be here today.

Back