Avid Angler Volunteers - urgently needed

searun

Invitation/Expression of Interest:

Dear Fellow Avid Anglers and Guides,

DFO, SFI and the WCFGA invite you to attend a webinar on either Monday June 1, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. for participants who fish inside waters of the Salish Sea and Mainland Inlet waters of the North Island – Area 12. Alternatively, for those who fish the West Coast of Vancouver Island, we will be meeting Tuesday June 2, at 7:00 p.m. The purpose of these meetings is to discuss extraordinary catch monitoring requirements for the 2020 fishery. We will need your help if we are to provide additional opportunity for chinook in 2020 and beyond in Southern BC.

We are fortunate that the activity of fishing is considered an essential service based on the need for families to gather food, but highly restrictive social distancing protocols remain in place which has forced many lodges and charter operations to close.

Another important activity that is currently restricted by Covid 19 is the Creel Survey. While overflights are still taking place that will capture instantaneous effort, the creel survey may be limited in some areas in terms of fishing interviews and biological sampling which leaves a gap in terms of CPUE and stock composition information.

As you are all no doubt aware, in Southern BC we are currently operating in a highly precautionary management regime for our chinook fishery in order to protect threatened and endangered Interior Fraser Chinook populations. The SFAB has provided a series of proposals to provide for opportunity without adding impact to stocks of concern, but these fisheries will require a high degree of catch monitoring in order to be implemented. This is where participation in the guide catch logbook and Avid Angler programs can step up and help assure improved access to chinook retention in Southern BC. There has never been a greater need for all anglers to step up and help gather the critical catch and stock composition information that is required in order to prove the low risk associated with the SFAB proposals.

Please join us (see the web meeting link below, and sign-up form) as we discuss the issue and create a plan together to ensure that the information we need is gathered in a consistent and defensible manner.

Regards,

SFI, WCFGA & DFO

June 1 @ 7:00 p.m. – for participants who fish Salish Sea or Mainland areas of North Island Area 12

June 2 @ 7:00 p.m. – for participants who fish WCVI and North Island Areas 10; 110; 111

Avid Angler & Guide Logbook Meeting

Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/148861109

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States: +1 (646) 749-3117

Access Code: 148-861-109

More phone numbers
Canada: +1 (647) 497-9373

New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts:
https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/148861109

I see the meeting link, but where is the sign up form?
When I use the link there is no sign up form. Do we just log in on June 02?

My only concern with this is DFO better have the lab capacity and personal in place to be able to run the samples. IF they do not and people that participate do not get results I can tell you it will be the last time that people will help out for stuff like this.

If you wanna keep fishing , more people need to volunteer and help do this stuff....... why not be a part of the solution?

If you wanna keep fishing , more people need to volunteer and help do this stuff....... why not be a part of the solution?

I dont think its an unrealistic expectation that if we participate that they better have the capacity to test the results.

I dont think its an unrealistic expectation that if we participate that they better have the capacity to test the results.

I've worked and know many people who have and continue to work for provincial and federal gov programs and trust me when I say nothing surprises me anymore. Gov agencies ARE EXTREMELY wasteful of taxpayers dollars and make decisions that would may you sick if you have a clear idea of what goes on.

So I want to know WHAT is the real number for "enough data" Bon chovy has been great in supplying us with all the info in the last couple of years... and it already shows a tread . AND ive posted before the 6800 plus "data" results .
So how much is enough ive asked it before and NEVER get an answer ... pretty hard to get data too when fishing is already closed and marinas are a ghost town ......

GOOD LUCK WOLF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I want to know WHAT is the real number for "enough data" Bon chovy has been great in supplying us with all the info in the last couple of years... and it already shows a tread . AND ive posted before the 6800 plus "data" results .
So how much is enough ive asked it before and NEVER get an answer ... pretty hard to get data too when fishing is already closed and marinas are a ghost town ......

Good grief Roy so negative again, your never willing too change. We already know you will never collect the data you said that many times?

I believe Area 20 is open just not for retention, and even if a few boats go out each day would be good. But yes it seems getting it out of guides there like yourself isn't going to happen.

I will be collecting it in this area in addition to 18 when I fish down there in summer. It also important for Sooke net pen project. I believe Glen posted up that as well that we all need turn on heads more. Anyone who cares about Sooke, and funding for that netpen staying open should put there hand up. It is time to let the non-guides collect data if guides don't want too.

I am personally sick of hearing what happened 12 years ago, and data sucks etc. It is time to move our fishery forward.

Last edited:
Good grief Roy so negative again, your never willing too change. We already know you will never collect the data you said that many times?

I believe Area 20 is open just not for retention, and even if a few boats go out each day would be good. But yes it seems getting it out of guides there like yourself isn't going to happen.

I will be collecting it in this area in addition to 18 when I fish down there in summer. It also important for Sooke net pen project. I believe Glen posted up that as well that we all need turn on heads more. Anyone who cares about Sooke, and funding for that netpen staying open should put there hand up. It is time to let the non-guides collect data if guides don't want too.

I am personally sick of hearing what happened 12 years ago, and data sucks etc. It is time to move our fishery forward.
Aren’t they just collecting in Area 10,12, 110 and 112? Is this being expanded at a later date to include 18 and 20?

Hahahaha.. easy your going to give yourself a jammer wolfie.... perhaps you should consider no one wants your help ??? u have made it abundantly clear that u want nothing do with it or anything to do with accountability my friend :)

I'd do this as an excuse to get on the water more. Sorry hun gotta meet my avid angler quota!

YOU still didnt answer the question... again !!!!!!!!!! No i wont do it as every time i have its bite us right in the butt until someone actually say hey DFO ^&(& off we are always going to have it this is not being negative its being rea!!!!l We have supplied it for over 10 years im more then sure there is more then enough data we already know we can sustain a hatchery only fishery as in area 19/20 95 % are hatch . Those are the facts been proven time and time and time and time over ... look what happened when the FN blocked everything disrupting things the got action and good on them they were organized only thing is that is how it is. you guys are living in fantasy land thinking its gonna change anything.

Bahabahabaha:rolleyes: .... everyone on this forum already knows what your going to say every time you jump on a thread like this one. So do the group a favorite & just stay off these couple threads and let other folks help out.. we already know u wont its actually crystal clear ;):)

Here's a copy of the sign-up form that you can copy and paste into an email...if you want the Word version, please PM me, and I will send it along. Thanks everyone for your interest.

The SFAB proposals to open up new retention opportunities will require volunteer efforts to complete Avid Angler and Guide Logbooks to help us obtain data to establish the CPUE that is applied to the over-flights. We also really need stock composition bio-samples to help us assess if these areas have potentially negative (Or Not) impacts to Fraser Chinook stocks of concern. We are hoping to engage volunteers committed to helping improve our ability to conduct catch monitoring during this Covid situation.

Sincere thank you to all who are able to help.

Avid Angler/Guide Logbook Sign Up Sheet

Instructions: Please complete sign-up sheet, and email to pat.ahern@shaw.ca and Becki.Laforge@dfo-mpo.gc.ca Please provide a mail address where we can send you a log book and bio-sampling kit

Do you have a logbook binder from last season? Yes ____ No ____ (if yes, we will send only new pages)

Primary Area Fished: _______________________________

Participant Name: ____________________________________________________________

Guide Number/Avid Angler Number: _______________________________________________

Mail Address: _____________________________________________________________________

Street: _____________________________________________________________________

Postal Code: ______________________

Phone: (____) - ______ - ______________________

Vessel Registration Number: _____________________________

E-mail: ______________________________________________

Back