Avet SXJ (Silver) - For Sale

mhbradley

Hello,

Selling Avet SXJ (silver - right handed). Reel is in good shape and has almost no cosmetic damage.

Reel is filled with braid (half 50 lb tuff-line and half Suffix 832).

3 extra bearings from Avet are included in the box, as the pinion bearing is known to go on their non-Raptor reels.

$200

Located in Victoria.

upload_2020-4-26_20-9-40.png
upload_2020-4-26_20-9-55.png
upload_2020-4-26_20-10-17.png
upload_2020-4-26_20-10-7.png
upload_2020-4-26_20-10-38.png

Last edited:
Hello,

Selling Avet SXJ (silver - right handed). Reel is in good shape and has almost no cosmetic damage.

Reel is filled with braid (half 50 lb tuff-line and half Suffix 832).

3 extra bearings from Avet are included in the box, as the pinion bearing is known to go on their non-Raptor reels.

$200

Located in Victoria.

View attachment 52270
View attachment 52271
View attachment 52273
View attachment 52272
View attachment 52274
You think it could make a good reel for kids? What were you targeting with it?

Fun jigging reel there, toss it on a Trevala and you've got a killer light setup that won't tire you out.

You think it could make a good reel for kids? What were you targeting with it?

It is nice and light, so would be great for kids if they are taught how to use the lever drag function. A level wind might be easier for kids to grasp, as its just a button and not a lever, but this size is right for kids.

I find the lack of level wind, meaning the operator has to ensure the line doesn’t pile up on one side, jamming the reel, is a challenge for adults (at least the ones I take out, lol). SX is perfect for a jigging set up. If it wasn’t for all the restrictions I’d be buying it!

Cheers!

Ukee

I own one of these reels and have had nothing but trouble with it. Loaded with 50 lb power pro. On quite a few occasions when I did a hard hook set or got snagged the line buries itself on the reel and will not come free. I have had to cut a few hundred of line off to to fix it. I have tried to make sure the line is spooled with lots of tension and still no luck. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

Avet don't recommend using braid on their reels, although most people do.
They recommend monofilament for exactly the problem you mention.

Have to load braid properly, with a LOT of tension (leather gloves!), initially as well as ensure the top 1-200+ ft doesn’t become loose or unevenly distributed across the spool (eg say you break off on bottom and reel up 200ft of braid with no tension or weight). This is a braid/lever drag issue that isn’t unique to Avet. The SX is a narrower spool, which helps mitigate this issue somewhat compared to wider spooled models in my experience.

Cheers!

Ukee

I own one of these reels and have had nothing but trouble with it. Loaded with 50 lb power pro. On quite a few occasions when I did a hard hook set or got snagged the line buries itself on the reel and will not come free. I have had to cut a few hundred of line off to to fix it. I have tried to make sure the line is spooled with lots of tension and still no luck. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

I have 10 avets and use them for pretty much all my saltwater fishing with braid on all of them except a mono top shot for some applications. Putting tape on the arbor to give the initial wraps of braid something to bite into as well as loading the braid on with as much tension as possible is recommended. If you still have problems you can go into deep water and spool off as much as possible and reel back in with a cod weight or two at the terminal end. I have not see Avet say not to use braid on their reels but they do have guidelines for using braid. I would venture to guess 90 some percent of all avets out there are loaded with braid. Avet reels are one of the most reliable, robust reels out there when used properly and are a great value in my mind.

I have 10 avets and use them for pretty much all my saltwater fishing with braid on all of them except a mono top shot for some applications. Putting tape on the arbor to give the initial wraps of braid something to bite into as well as loading the braid on with as much tension as possible is recommended. If you still have problems you can go into deep water and spool off as much as possible and reel back in with a cod weight or two at the terminal end. I have not see Avet say not to use braid on their reels but they do have guidelines for using braid. I would venture to guess 90 some percent of all avets out there are loaded with braid. Avet reels are one of the most reliable, robust reels out there when used properly and are a great value in my mind.

This right here are excellent suggestions especially if you have a break off.

I've got a MXJ (a bit bigger than the SXJ) that I picked up used and the original user had 40lb black power pro that just sucked and bit in bad, I had it switched over to 50lb white izorline spectra and it works like a dream. Supposedly the power pro is a rounder weave and Izorline and is a flatter weave.

Yes, loading the braid on tight is paramount and I concur with their value

I have six now after I bought this one. I love them. The only reels I like more are my two accurates

I have six now after I bought this one. I love them. The only reels I like more are my two accurates
Man, you are building up a nice collection! I love those Accurates but not the price tag

Man, you are building up a nice collection! I love those Accurates but not the price tag
I bought them used. Half price but just refurbished/rebuilt by the factory. Just recently from a guide that works a lodge up north. He’s pretty unsure of his season due to multiple present circumstances. Cash is more valuable than fishing gear to him at the moment.

Back