Atlantic salmon

B

Brisco

I've heard rumours of people catching atlantic or farm salmon. Has anyone here caught any?

I haven't caught any myself but my buddy's father is heavily involved with the enhancement work on the Salmon River. He has said for years that they see adults in there and smolts too.
T2

That's not possiable they can't breed or find food here. At least that is what the fish farmers told us down here when they let 250,000 go by accident a few years.

my bother has caught a few in the salmon river over the years

quote:That's not possiable they can't breed or find food here. At least that is what the fish farmers told us down here when they let 250,000 go by accident a few years.

Don't be so naiv and believe the originator of the trouble! Of course they would try to deny. Can't breed? Why not, only takes a male and a female. Can't feed? Why not? They eat herring, shrimp and similar stuff in the Atlantic too.

quote:Don't be so naiv and believe the originator of the trouble! Of course they would try to deny. Can't breed? Why not, only takes a male and a female. Can't feed? Why not? They eat herring, shrimp and similar stuff in the Atlantic too.

I think he was being sarcastic :) :) :)

Cheers:

While working 6 years ago, at a resort up the coast, one of the guides on staff caught one. Only one in 20 years I can remember.

Fishing Guide

I am Canadian. Let's go fishing, eh!

This might be the next sportfish. Just need to figure out how to get that pellet into the teaser head.

Caught a 4 lber in the Johns River by Westport Wa.....2 years ago

Howdy,

Years ago, somewhere around 2000 or so, Dr. John Volpe and his team of scientists, while doing stream survey's for steelhead fry (snorkeling with wet-suits) in at least two rivers on Vancouver Island found live-healthy 'wild-spawned' Atlantic salmon fry.

Since then, I don't know how many more rivers they've spawned in. I would sure like to know.

The industry and Government are not concerned about the 'colonization' threat these escaped fish pose to our wild-salmon and steelhead. They say it's been tried before and they didn't take.

What they fail to mention though, is that way back then fishfarming (with it's steady supply of hundreds of thousands - millions? - of escaping fish) was not around to continuously resupply the feral population.

Cheers,
Terry

I also caught one 8years ago on the chehalis river while fishin for coho.It was about 10lbs.There was a poster put up by DFO asking people to turn any Atlantics in to the hatchery.

I want to know how they taste? Did they have much fight in them? I think they breed and head back out to sea like Steelhead.

Someone once brought me some smoked Wild Atlantic from Iceland it was delicious.

Then there was the time the old Steelhead Society had a banquet @ a downtown hotel and everyone was served farmed Atlantic it tasted like mud and smelled worse.

Howdy,

LC... I'm amazed you'd even think such a thing, let alone suggest it. If you were a fishfarmer or a Politician, ya maybe I could see the pretzel-logic.

If our wild Pacific Salmon crash, it ain't gonna' be because of the
fishfarms - cause very soon my fellow Sportfisherman, there won't be any more net-pens.

Cheers,
Terry

Wild Salmon Alliance

I caught one in the Eve river in the early 90s. About 10 pounds and fresh from the ocean with sea lice on its back. There wasn't much talk at the time of escapees particularly in our rivers. Around then brown trout were being introduced into the system and I thought I had a monster sea-run specemin and released it[:0]!! I have a picture of it somewhere......

Atlantic salmon were unsuccessfully introduced into the watersheds of British Columbia in the early 1900s in an attempt to establish runs for sport fishing. Similar results occurred in the state of Washington and several other countries.

The fact that self-sustaining populations of escaped farm Atlantic salmon have not established anywhere in the Pacific Ocean supports scientific opinion that the risk to wild stocks from escaped farmed Atlantic salmon is low.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) research on the potential effects of escaped salmon indicates there are low levels of interaction between farmed and wild fish – either through competition for habitat and food or as predators.

Survival rates for escaped farmed salmon appear to be low. Farmed salmon, which are fed from birth, are docile and poorly suited to survive in the wild, especially against the more aggressive wild fish. Stomach content analysis of farmed Atlantic salmon recovered in the wild showed low intake of food and no trace of young wild salmon.

Atlantic salmon (farmed or wild) cannot mate successfully with wild Pacific salmon.

Farmed Atlantic salmon can successfully mate with wild Atlantic salmon. Little research concerning the genetic interactions between escaped farmed Atlantic salmon and wild Atlantic salmon has been conducted in North America. Research in Europe indicates that escaped farmed Atlantic salmon can have a negative impact on the genetic make-up of wild Atlantic salmon populations. However, it is too early to speculate or draw conclusions on the overall effect of escaped farmed Atlantic salmon on wild Atlantic salmon in Eastern Canada. DFO is conducting research in collaboration with the Atlantic Salmon Federation, which should help put more pieces of the puzzle in place.

Below is some interesting info that shows that Atlantic Salmon were stocked many years in Lake Cowichan up until the mid 1930's. Or I should say that I couldn't find any further stocking data after that...Would not be a surprise if a few Atlantics are still cruising around...

COWICHAN LAKE
Base Map © Province of British Columbia
w w w.AnglersAtlas.com
Elevation = 163 metres (535 feet)
Map survey conducted
May, 1960.
Depth contours shown in metres
Fish Stocking Data
Species Date Released # of Fish
Rainbow Trout 1-Jan-39 60,000
Rainbow Trout 1-Jan-36 60,000
Brown Trout 1-Jan-35 17,002