Atlantic salmon blood through an effluent pipe - directly into Brown’s Bay

i'm not saying FF have 0 impacts. i just want to know "how much?" if were going to remove farms from the coastal waters isn't this important?
if were discussing this on and on for ...... 5% morality then this is just a waste of time and money. money and time better spent on the other 95%

Been there and done that many times before, bones - but you refuse to read and acknowledge the science - and you are attempting to shift the burden of proof, yet again. It's getting old for me.
so then answer the question

WHAT AND HOW MUCH ARE THE IMPACTS?

YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED THE QUESTION YET.....

you have turned the question around several times....... how are fish farms not harming wild stocks? Salish sea project claims 80% of smolts are eaten by seals

I have a feeling fish farms are going to transition to land based whether the open net pen fish farm supporters like it or not. Can't happen soon enough. This is a pretty interesting company looking into it. Looks like it may be a good company to invest in...
Putting the source close to the market. major savings in transportation costs, antibiotic and pesticide costs, and no environmental impact costs to our oceans and wild fisheries. They can label their fish as organically grown. Hopefully companies like Marine Harvest are seeing the writing on the wall and are thinking of transitioning out of the open net pen industry. If they want to keep any semblance of social license it would be smart of them to head in this direction (closed containment) before our wild salmon runs become extinct. I read where they (Atlantic Saphire) mentioned they could produce enough salmon for all of the US in a facility of around 500 acres.

https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/...d-350-million-land-based-salmon-farm-in-miami

https://twitter.com/atlsapphire?lang=en

You open net pen fish farm supporters keep saying that us "activists" want to shut down your industry... makes good headlines, PR points, and maybe makes you feel better, but it's just another lie. We want the open net pen farms out of our oceans to help save what's left of our wild salmon runs and to put a stop to the destruction of our marine environments and its inhabitants. period.
Keep your industry, just get it out of our oceans and wild salmon migration corridors.

Delicious, healthy and guilt free Atlantic Salmon. Say yes to healthier oceans! Rated best choice by @SeafoodWatch, @SeaChoice and @OceanWise.

"The system is “by far the most efficient way of producing salmon” via aquaculture, Andreassen added."

http://www.vpff.no/eng/NOTC/NOTC-A-list

ATLAS Atlantic Sapphire AS

Last edited:
I have a feeling fish farms are going to transition to land based whether the open net pen fish farm supporters like it or not. Can't happen soon enough. This is a pretty interesting company looking into it. Looks like it may be a good company to invest in...
Putting the source close to the market. major savings in transportation costs, antibiotic and pesticide costs, and no environmental impact costs to our oceans and wild fisheries. They can label their fish as organically grown. Hopefully companies like Marine Harvest are seeing the writing on the wall and are thinking of transitioning out of the open net pen industry. If they want to keep any semblance of social licence it would be smart of them to head in this direction. I read where they mentioned they could produce enough salmon for all of the US in a facility of around 500 acres.

https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/...d-350-million-land-based-salmon-farm-in-miami

https://twitter.com/atlsapphire?lang=en

You open net pen fish farm supporters keep spewing that us "activists" want to shut down your industry... makes good headlines, PR points, and maybe makes you feel better, but it's just another lie. We want the open net pen farms out of our oceans to help save what's left of our wild salmon runs and to put a stop to the destruction of our marine environments and its inhabitants. period.
Keep your industry, just get it out of our oceans and wild salmon migration corridors.

Delicious, healthy and guilt free Atlantic Salmon. Say yes to healthier oceans! Rated best choice by @SeafoodWatch, @SeaChoice and @OceanWise.

"The system is “by far the most efficient way of producing salmon” via aquaculture, Andreassen added."

http://www.vpff.no/eng/NOTC/NOTC-A-list

ATLAS Atlantic Sapphire AS

Hope it is economically viable! Why don't the "activists" try to help fund this type of facility in Canada? Instead of squaking so much, put some dough and find a suitable test location. All for it - I would happily donate. Maybe the industry given time and reasonable government backing/support could move in this direction. Yeah. Now watch all the local communities protest about fish farms and not allow them.

Hope it is economically viable! Why don't the "activists" try to help fund this type of facility in Canada? Instead of squaking so much, put some dough and find a suitable test location. All for it - I would happily donate. Maybe the industry given time and reasonable government backing/support could move in this direction. Yeah. Now watch all the local communities protest about fish farms and not allow them.
You do know that we have been doing this here in BC right?

... can you drop the "activists" bit..... we are all just a bunch of local anglers here and you trying to paint us with that brush is getting tiresome.

You do know that we have been doing this here in BC right?

... can you drop the "activists" bit..... we are all just a bunch of local anglers here and you trying to paint us with that brush is getting tiresome.
Actually you referred to yourself as such! Misinterpreted - thought you wore that badge....

Actually you referred to yourself as such! Misinterpreted - thought you wore that badge....
Please refer back to post #113

Coming here?

New grant program could increase Gulf aquaculture

Monday, December 4th 2017, 12:54 pm PST
15556283_G.jpg

OCEAN SPRINGS, MS (WLOX) -
A new method is being tried to increase seafood production through the use of aquaculture. The Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission is awarding grants totaling $450,000 for new and unique aquaculture projects in the Gulf of Mexico.

The projects will range in size from $50,000 to $100,000 and will be given out starting in April to qualified projects.

Most of us here in South Mississippi love our seafood, but there's a growing problem. There's not enough of it. That’s the word from the USM Director of Aquaculture, Dr. Kelly Lucas.

“Worldwide, the wild caught fisheries is stagnant, and we've know that for some time. And so, the only way to increase the amount of seafood we produce is aquaculture,” Lucas explained.

Oysters are already being grown, but these new projects would be in deep water and concentrate on fish. Steve VanderKooy is with the Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission.

“The intent of this batch of funding is to begin to look at what it would take to go through the permit process, what kind of gears, and begin to move forward towards actually getting offshore aquaculture,” VanderKooy said.

With any kind of aquaculture, there are always environmental concerns. This latest project is no different. Those concerns are being addressed, according to VanderKooy.

“There's questions about what kind of impact that could have on other user groups, sources of food for that additional fish. Where are you going to put that kind of production?”

Aquaculture programs are the wave of the future, because fisheries are being depleted both in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

But, the people who study those oceans, like Lucas, say it also makes sense, because it's a matter of dollars and cents.

“We have spent a lot of time developing technology that we have shipped overseas, and the overseas market has been working in aquaculture and shipping that seafood back to the United States. That has created a $14 billion deficit in the United States,” said Lucas.

If the federal grant money helps reduce that deficit with new and better fish farming, then everyone, including seafood lovers, will benefit.

The deadline to apply for the grants is Feb. 1 of next year. You can contact the Gulf States Marine Fisheries Commission in Ocean Springs for more information.

Copyright 2017 WLOX. All rights reserved.

I received this from Watershed Watch Salmon Society for those that might be interested in attending the rally they're holding on December 14th:

Tavish Campbell’s disgusting video of fish farm blood pouring into our beautiful coastal waters has gone viral and politicians are paying attention. You have already signed our Safe Passage petition calling for the removal of disease-ridden fish farms from wild salmon migration routes.
Have you been wondering what else you can do to help defend our wild salmon?
One great thing to do is to keep liking and sharing our Safe Passage petition on your social media channels. Help us reach our goal of 10,000 names.
Also, on December 14, come on out to a rally in Vancouver in solidarity with First Nations who want fish farms removed from their territories. The rally takes place at the Vancouver Law Courts, 800 Smithe Street, 9:30 - 5:30 pm. RSVP on Facebook. We hope to see you there!
During the rally, our engagement coordinator Charly is looking for some volunteers to help her pass around petitions. If that sounds like you, please email her at charly@watershedwatch.ca.
Finally, please consider making a tax-deductible donation for our work to provide safe passage for wild salmon. And thanks again for signing the petition!
Sincerely,
Anna Kemp
Communications

Don't need to name call but lets pretend the government followed the advice of all the eco-warriors on this site and closed all fish farms down. Since consumers still want salmon, where do they get it? I guess we will have to give more allocation to the commercial fleet and cut back all our sport quota's to one salmon a day. Oh wait, now all the fishing lodges and guides are struggling to get clients who need to shell out $4K to catch 2 salmon. I guess they need to get a new job. We can't argue the case that the Canadian who buys his salmon from safeway has less rights to the resource then the sporty who goes out and catches it. Alas, everyone is now losing. Fish farms lose, commercial fisherman lose, sporty's lose, first nations lose and consumers lose. This is not a solution.

Personally, I am all for fish farms because they take pressure off of the wild stocks. I am also for the farms to be operated safely and sustain-ably so they don't harm the wild stocks. Farmed salmon has been proven to be a healthy product that tastes great and is well accepted by consumers. Rather than make assumptions about a video, lets take a deep breath, ask our government to investigate to ensure the plant is operating under proper procedures, and if there is a gap in how the operations are preformed, lets address the issue and have it fixed. The video looks gross, but I am not sure it means a damn thing.

1) We dont need to decimate stocks just because the world needs or wants salmon. Childish comment
2) Farm Salmon is fine if done in China or Norway or East Coast of Canada away from Wild salmon stocks where 5 different species co-exist. NO reason to farm in our pristine environment.
3) I hope your not British Columbian, embarrassing if so.

Targetonback-300x199.jpg

That's going to leave a mark......

Province announces review of fish processing plants
Review comes after photographer releases images of effluent pouring into ocean

B.C.'s environment minister, George Heyman, has announced the province will undertake an immediate review of fish processing plants to ensure wild salmon stocks are not impacted by any waste products from plants.

"Today's announcement is to say, 'We've heard the public. We thank people who brought this to our attention," said Heyman.

Specifically, Heyman thanked B.C. photographer Tavish Campbell, whose underwater images released last month drew attention to waste discharged from processing plants.

Contamination claims disputed
Campbell claimed samples he took from waters off the coast of Campbell River and Tofino tested positive for contamination with a fish virus.

Heyman said the province has taken its own samples from both plants but the results are not back yet.

more here...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...es-review-of-fish-processing-plants-1.4458835

Last edited:
That's going to leave a mark......

Province announces review of fish processing plants
Review comes after photographer releases images of effluent pouring into ocean

B.C.'s environment minister, George Heyman, has announced the province will undertake an immediate review of fish processing plants to ensure wild salmon stocks are not impacted by any waste products from plants.

"Today's announcement is to say, 'We've heard the public. We thank people who brought this to our attention," said Heyman.

Specifically, Heyman thanked B.C. photographer Tavish Campbell, whose underwater images released last month drew attention to waste discharged from processing plants.

Contamination claims disputed
Campbell claimed samples he took from waters off the coast of Campbell River and Tofino tested positive for contamination with a fish virus.

Heyman said the province has taken its own samples from both plants but the results are not back yet.

more here...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...es-review-of-fish-processing-plants-1.4458835
What might surprise you all is I support the government conducting an investigation (assuming this practice is considered unlawful). I also think if the government comes back with no positive results on a virus, then we move on. Hopefully, if the fish farmers were not practicing proper protocol, they will be fined for there failure. Alternatively, let me ask you all a question - when those mega lodges clean and gut salmon, where do they dispose of the salmon byproducts? Pretty sure it is a straight dump into the depths but is there any regulation that allows them to dispose of the waste in that fashion? There are lodges out there with 150 guests fishing each day, if each guests catch 2 salmon and 2 other fish, that is 600+ fish/day of waste being ...dumped? How would that compare to a salmon farm waste? Not saying I agree with either, but maybe this dirty part of the sport industry could use a clean up. Was always told that nothing in the ocean goes to waste, but....maybe that old tale isn't true. GLG, would know know the rules on this....

What might surprise you all is I support the government conducting an investigation (assuming this practice is considered unlawful). I also think if the government comes back with no positive results on a virus, then we move on. Hopefully, if the fish farmers were not practicing proper protocol, they will be fined for there failure. Alternatively, let me ask you all a question - when those mega lodges clean and gut salmon, where do they dispose of the salmon byproducts? Pretty sure it is a straight dump into the depths but is there any regulation that allows them to dispose of the waste in that fashion? There are lodges out there with 150 guests fishing each day, if each guests catch 2 salmon and 2 other fish, that is 600+ fish/day of waste being ...dumped? How would that compare to a salmon farm waste? Not saying I agree with either, but maybe this dirty part of the sport industry could use a clean up. Was always told that nothing in the ocean goes to waste, but....maybe that old tale isn't true. GLG, would know know the rules on this....
LA2Lo32FnNtpS9_CYiHLytFS_cXEzmW-yhBPbFU61Pio0fspZjegGMPLOErZD6FCH9jl=s107
Killer Whale eating the whole fish proving that nothing in the ocean goes to waste.

DRJoCUJX4AIM4ru.jpg:large

Actually spop, wild fish don't have viruses, pathogens and disease. Pfft. You obviously aren't on facebook!

Back