At the Bench (Fly Tying)

Karma-Kazi

So ive been getting ready for a summer of plentiful salmon around Vancouver island. Ive been tying for only a year now. Sofar ive only taken pics of a few but more to come. Some saltwater flies for coho and pinks. Thinking I will be trying to cast on the tide lines in hopes of hooking up some salmon on a full sink line. Anyone else ever do this?

Any saltwater fly guys lurking on here with some patterns to share? Any freshwater patterns you want to share. Ive got a bunch of them. Im going to start this thread for guys who Tie.

Lets see them flies guys!

-KK

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators006_zps38382b43.jpg

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators004_zps178bd1c4.jpg

FlyTyingandMakingIndicators003_zpsbaffcf75.jpg

Best come over to BCFR or FFBC if your into fly fishing and making your own flies. Salt rules here, and rightfully so, great place to be. But you are missing out on some great fly fishing action over there.

IMG_2700.jpgIMG_2699.jpgIMG_2697.jpgIMG_2696.jpg here are a few of my patterns, i have been doing well on the dark red mohair with a small marabou tail.

kunni

in the fall when the coho start heading to and staging at the river mouths, my favourite pattern is a gold bead head California Neil. In fresh water, for coho and chinook, it was a rolled muddler with copper flashabou and pearl crystal flash as an overwing. Great in frog water. I use a clear intermediate sink in both situations.

Img-California-Neil-1.jpg

Chartreuse%20Muddler%20web%201.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I hit a nice cutty on a rolled muddler like that it just had an added thin olive rabbit strip over the back.

Nice ties Kunni I like the bottom one!

Cheers!

-KK

thanks KK :)

I have been doing a bit of tying lately, here are a few from tonight. I would normally fish stuff like this for trout.

Kunni
IMG_3768.jpgIMG_3769.jpgIMG_3780.jpg

thanks, I have been using more natural material than usual, and the flies are turning out be pretty nice.

Kunni

pilchard, very productive on coho for 2 years now. usually outfishes 'the boys' who are always doing really well. simple and sparce are the watch words when tying.

Attachments

• pilchard2.jpg
    pilchard2.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 263
Nice flies guys!

I'll post up some shortly that I've been working on for some feedback. I used to tie a lot in highschool, and have recently reconnected after being given my grandpa's EPIC kit.

One thing that I've been liking is taking a beat old hoochie and cutting the head off to go on the head of a good bucktail. It finishes it off pretty nicely.

Reelfast, it looks like you have a stinger tied off the hook. Is that the case? That looks interesting. Have you ever had the knot get trashed with teeth?

I have been making stingers on saltwater flies for years using braid and epoxy. This method does not get damaged by anything. You have to make the stinger before you make your flies. I usually make 10 or so at a time. Smaller hooks need lighter braid and visa versa. Often the problems with using mono for stingers is they will not sit straight. With this method do not epoxy the portion of briad that you will tie in, and run the braid through the eye of the front hook and tie it back. ive never had one come off. I also always cut the hook of the front hook so that there is only the stinger.
Of course I will pinch the barb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reelfast, it looks like you have a stinger tied off the hook. Is that the case? That looks interesting. Have you ever had the knot get trashed with teeth?

actually its another fly of the exact same design, my mini school of pilchard. regs say 2 hooks so what the heck. yes, of course, check your leader and connecting line after every fish as the mono does take a beating. so far, it seems the lead fly gets the vast majority of the hookups, interesting. and remember EYES make all the difference. I like the doll eyes with the movable pupils as they also make a bit of noise as the black dot rolls around. I also found a gel form of super glue that makes sticking the eyes in place much easier than the liquid form.

Those flies are awsome! The 2nd to last fly is amazing in lakes for cutties to! One of my go to's for lake cutties.

-KK

Oh yeah that purple/blue/black one is killer for Big cutties, some of the biggest ones ive caught have been on that one or the stickleback in size 4 and 2's
And works equally as well for steelhead, Ill post up some more patterns soon

Back