Arima boats

I was interested in Arimas, after seeing them around, reading about them on the web, and checking one out at SG Power. I really like their intention: a big fishing platform that is cheap to get there and back. People who like them are fanatical, rave about them. People who don't like them, really don't -- the main negative I heard is how they ride in slop.

But for me, I ended up not getting one, mostly because of price. With a rabid following they tend to hold their value well -- another way of saying they are very expensive used. I was in the $10-15k budget class, and was into the 20 year old boats....forget that.

They are all fibreglass except a few model years in the 80s, where they had wood stringers.

The Arima user group is very helpful and informative...though not objective in looking at cons as well as pros, definitely preaching to the choir.

I am still intrigued, especially by the SeaRanger19 and up, but not really looking...just one of many on the wishlist. :D

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca

I know very little about the Arima and will only relate what I saw a few years ago when up at Winter Harbour. We were heading towards Kains Island from WH in my 17.6' Malibu Tyee and close behind us was a 19' Arima. The closer we got to Kains the rougher the water got and the further the Arima fell behind us and I remember saying to my brother that the Arima must be pounding pretty hard. To now hear the comments from others, that the Arima's are light and hence tend to pound in rough water, seems to confirm my suspicion.

17 Sea Ranger (1986) here and like others I love the space and stability in a 17' platform, but you do have to go a bit slower in the rough stuff due to the lack of a deep vee. I have a Merc 115 on mine which pushes it quite well. You might not get there as quick, but you can likely go further and stay longer than many other 17 footers. As with any boat there are tradeoffs and speed in the chop is one with these boats, but the wide platform, full cuddy (6'1 and I have slept in it with no prob) with porta pot, and great fishing platform in a 17' are worth it to me.

YMMV

Ah yes, The Purchasing Agent....The CEO....I had a quote for 70 grand for the 206 DE,She down sized it to the 185 which was fine by me.I looked at one of those Arimas,really nice features,was impressed.Now if Double Eagle would get over being "Boat of the Year" 1965 and add some of the Arima features....Dan

We have a 1987 17 SR with a 90 hp Honda four stroke - pictures on this thread http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13069&whichpage=6

We use our boat mostly in Ucluelet.

Have had the boat for 3 years and can't imagine any other boat under 22 ft that I would rather want to own.

90 hp is more than ample for big water in Ukee. Even with the smaller tank of the older Arima's, we are able to fish SW Corner and Lighthouse bank all day and have fuel to spare (we troll with the 90 hp). Trips to the big bank require extra fuel.

I slow right down in the rough stuff, 10-14 mph, may take a little longer to get back to the dock, but it is comfortable and safe in very rough waters at that speed.

www.cobbcanada.ca

Hey RS...I bought a new 19' Sea Ranger hard top last year with a Suzuki 150 after looking at the 185 DE at SG. No regrets. I go to Rennie three times a year and enjoy every trip. It does pound underway, but if you work the throttle right your butt and back aren't too bad when you get to where you're going--oh slowing down a little bit helps I hear[:p] . Lots of room in cockpit for fishing--a little tight inside moving from the seats to the cockpit (to grab those double headers in a panic!). More stable when trolling than a deep V. I like the Suzukis's so far-- I'd max on power--comes in handy--fuel burn's not bad at all.
rangeratrenfrew.jpg

Arimas seem to be getting more popular.
Fishing off Beechey Head area saw 4 others besides my own. Back at the ramp somebody else was launching a brand new 17 with a 90 Honda and matching kicker. Sweet.

I've been watching the Arima site, boatworld, iboats etc...
the ones i see are either too old (pre 1992) or near new and out of
my budget.
Very popular in Washington,Oregon.

One year ago I went down to the wharf to check out some boats and I saw a couple of Arimas and I noticed how much they stand out and really started to like their style and shape then I went down to Fishermans wharf and noticed that the Customs boat was also an Arima. I thought I'd keep my eyes open for an Arima for sale over the next year and the very next week I found an Arima for sale that was priced right and the boat looked to be in good condition. That was one year ago and today I'm very happy with mine. I've had to fix a few things but overall it has been good to me..... I was thinking about buying a Double Eagle originally and I bet I would have liked the deep V but the Arima won out in the end. Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

I'm looking at a 2002, 22ft sea ranger hard top with a 130hp honda. Already got an 2017 Hewes sportman 180 but limitted on choppy water. I will like feedback from the group! Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a 2002, 22ft sea ranger hard top with a 130hp honda. Already got an 2017 Hewes sportman 180 but limitted on choppy water. I will like feedback from the group! Thanks.
You might find that a little underpowered. I know someone who has the exact boat with a 225, which has plenty of power. Just not sure the 130 would be enough in snotty weather.

Oly

Those Honda engines were generally pretty good, albeit quite heavy for the amount of power they produced. The engine block did have a run with some casting defects, and Honda even extended the warranty for the block and issues related. The bottom cylinder is affected, and once the problem occurs oil consumption will increase and you need to replace the powerhead. Do some research to see if that exact engine is within the range of the affected motors.

Are you actually looking at a 21? In that case the 130hp would do fine. I am saying this because there is a 21 Sea Ranger, but the 22 Arima is called Sea Legend. IF it is a 22 you are looking at, the 130hp would be marginal.

Are you actually looking at a 21? In that case the 130hp would do fine. I am saying this because there is a 21 Sea Ranger, but the 22 Arima is called Sea Legend. IF it is a 22 you are looking at, the 130hp would be marginal.
2002- 21 ft Arima Sea ranger 21 - this is how it's advertise.
1624938428271.jpeg

I have a friend that bought a brand new Grady out of Seattle/Tacoma in 1999 with twin 130 hp Honda’s. He got 6000 hrs out of those original engines and 2 years ago replaced the originals with used lower hour 130 hp Honda’s. He had great luck with those Honda’s

Back