Arima boats

Ill chime in .. My good buddy when these boats first came out bought one new as "wife" loved it so first couple of time took it out all good ..THEN a day where there was a bit of nasty and choppy water . well that didnt go well. apparently she was crying and very upset. and it was only as he said maybe a 2 foot chop.
Then they came out with me for the day and YES granted you cant compare the 2 boats at ALL I realize that.
We were about to hit a bit of chop instantly she grabs her boobs lets say she is large in that area. I ask ummm whats up. She said she HATES their boat as last couple of times out with the chop it hurts her, the pounding she loves the fact to fish off it but getting anywhere is not good.
So be warned they do pound ive seen them running it cant be comfortable.
Like i say to ANYONE looking at buying a boat test it in good, chop,and ****** water before you buy a boat.

I had a 19’ hardtop Arima and really didn’t notice the bounce too much. If it’s so snotty that the boat would pound, I wasn’t going out fishing anyways and I did have that boat in some rough water. I imagine a17’ Arima would pound more that a 19’

Ill chime in .. My good buddy when these boats first came out bought one new as "wife" loved it so first couple of time took it out all good ..THEN a day where there was a bit of nasty and choppy water . well that didnt go well. apparently she was crying and very upset. and it was only as he said maybe a 2 foot chop.
Then they came out with me for the day and YES granted you cant compare the 2 boats at ALL I realize that.
We were about to hit a bit of chop instantly she grabs her boobs lets say she is large in that area. I ask ummm whats up. She said she HATES their boat as last couple of times out with the chop it hurts her, the pounding she loves the fact to fish off it but getting anywhere is not good.
Like i say to ANYONE looking at buying a boat test it in good, chop,and ****** water before you buy a boat.
Pics or it didn't happen?

@chris73 has that Arima 19ft. I have been in it with choppy weather and don't find it pounds. He has trim tab etc., and think he has hydrofoil as well on main.

Pretty nice boat.

Last edited:
I had a 19’ hardtop Arima and really didn’t notice the bounce too much. If it’s so snotty that the boat would pound, I wasn’t going out fishing anyways and I did have that boat in some rough water. I imagine a17’ Arima would pound more that a 19’
My current Arima is a 21 with skip tower, but I have had several 17 Arima's over the years, both Sea Rangers and Sea Chasers. The beauty of a well balanced 17 with trim tabs is that it can plane at very low speeds - if you go fast in the rough it will certainly pound the living daylight out of you, but if you just slow down, it handles big seas and chop just fine and pounding is not a big issue at all.
With 4 feet of added length and significantly more weight, the 21 naturally rides better again.

Agree with Enniberg having had a few Arimas most recently a 17 with trim tabs. I would say for the size that for fishing the size of the fishing area is great and feels very stable and comfortable. The 17 Double Eagle I had definitely was better in rough water and was more apt to roll side to side when fishing.

I'm looking at a 2002, 22ft sea ranger hard top with a 130hp honda. Already got an 2017 Hewes sportman 180 but limitted on choppy water. I will like feedback from the group! Thanks.
I went from a 2006 Hewescraft Searunner 180 to a 25 C-Dory, which is often sold with Honda 135 after 2003. I was definitely keeping my eye open for a 22 Arima or C-Dory but ultimately decided on a bigger boat C-Dory 25 with only a few more HP the Honda 150.

The 130 should push it just fine with a regular load 2-3 average Canadians (average has gone up since the pandemic). As long as you don't mind traveling in the low to mid 20's kn in good weather and 13-15kn in snotty, it will be a great boat.

Yes will be more bouncy than a 26-30 foot guide boat with 4000 extra pounds plowing through the water. Compared to the Sportsman it should ride pretty smooth, but it is still not an 8000lb boat.

I wouldn't hesitate on making that upgrade!

I agree totally but after what she told me and her grabbing her ummm well you know I found it funny till after she told me the story , maybe im getting to old now but I dont want that pounding anymore and SHE defiantly didnt when she said she cried from that pain well only a woman can understand it. Maybe we should sit on our balls and go thru the rough water to compare??? LOL. All i wanted to do is say from her perspective what she felt and what ive seen personally on how they handle that is all

I would buy an Arima in a heartbeat if the right deal came along.
Perfect boat for fishing inside waters in my opinion.
The early ones had wood interior which I would avoid.
Later models have all starboard interior.

Good friends of mine dropped mucho dinero last year to move up from 18 ft to a 24 ft for exactly this reason. Was all fine for a season until they encountered some Okanagan Lake chop. Boat was gone and upgrade purchased in like a week flat.

Us guys can chuckle and shake our heads all we want, but the pain must be real. This lady is as level headed and no fuss as they come, has no issues with getting hands dirty when camping, hiking or fishing. Not given to laying down the law, but she most emphatically did this time.

Good friends of mine dropped mucho dinero last year to move up from 18 ft to a 24 ft for exactly this reason. Was all fine for a season until they encountered some Okanagan Lake chop. Boat was gone and upgrade purchased in like a week flat.

Us guys can chuckle and shake our heads all we want, but the pain must be real. This lady is as level headed and no fuss as they come, has no issues with getting hands dirty when camping, hiking or fishing. Not given to laying down the law, but she most emphatically did this time.
Cup size B limit! lol
I have had my 19 SR in everything from glassy water to dangerously rough. Never felt unsafe. You can easily find the sweet spot in travel speed that avoids any nasty pounding. You may just be going 5 or 7 km/h slower than Wolf in the same chop. Not a big deal for me. A big deal for me is that my Arima is lighter than most boats of same size so that I can tow with ease, launch by myself, only need a 115 hp motor for everything from fishing to water skiing and therefore save a ton of gas and money for maintenance and replacement. I have yet to see a more versatile and yet capable boat that is not made of aluminum.

I had a 17 foot arima sea ranger for years, loved the boat until the day I finally had enough pounding out to the fishing grounds. I replaced it with a 21 foot grady. Again, you cant compare the two boats, but the way I describe it is 'I love the Grady to travel to the fishing grounds, but when there I would rather fish out of the Arima'. The arima had taller gunnels, and the compartments/fish holds were set up better in my opinion.
my $0.02.

You may just be going 5 or 7 km/h slower than Wolf in the same chop
I take that bet any time of the week !!! bring it!!! LOL LOL cmon be more like 20 kms difference. Its funny either people LOVE them or hate them but until you have been in a lot of boats. SHE HATED it even after she saw it loved it, and made him buy it. after that one moment she never wanted to go into it again.
When I guided the lodge bought these cool boats made out of washington the were called Hi Laker or something basically same style i believe 17 ish or something BEST platform to fish off I loved it for that 2 guys on one side hardly tipped as it was sort of like the arima but HOLY F$%K did they POUND. we only used them for 2 years and had to get rid of them just too rough and didnt matter what speed, ive driven so many boats ive lost count. ill stick to a deep vee any day!!!

I take that bet any time of the week !!! bring it!!! LOL LOL cmon be more like 20 kms difference. Its funny either people LOVE them or hate them but until you have been in a lot of boats. SHE HATED it even after she saw it loved it, and made him buy it. after that one moment she never wanted to go into it again.
When I guided the lodge bought these cool boats made out of washington the were called Hi Laker or something basically same style i believe 17 ish or something BEST platform to fish off I loved it for that 2 guys on one side hardly tipped as it was sort of like the arima but HOLY F$%K did they POUND. we only used them for 2 years and had to get rid of them just too rough and didnt matter what speed, ive driven so many boats ive lost count. ill stick to a deep vee any day!!!
Does your ship even do 20? lolol

Honestly, if your Arima pounds, you have it trimmed improperly or you are going way too fast and pretty much any boat that size would pound too. The Arima hull has a smart design in that the entrance keel angle is narrow and then the angle flattens out half way back to provide the easy lift. In sloppy conditions, if you slow down enough and trim enough to keep your bow down, your bow will cut the waves nicely like a deep V boat and won't allow the wave to hit your shallow butt. That's all there is to it. Any half intelligent mariner will figure this out in a few trials and then love the versatility and economy of an Arima.

I just got back from Nootka where we ventured out to Bajo Reef in pretty sporty conditions one day. Alongside a bunch of guides in there 28-30 Grady's, Trophy's or Pursuits. They didn't even have their lines in the water yet by the time we arrived a few minutes later. And yes, our kidneys are still fine!

Does your ship even do 20? lolol

Honestly, if your Arima pounds, you have it trimmed improperly or you are going way too fast and pretty much any boat that size would pound too. The Arima hull has a smart design in that the entrance keel angle is narrow and then the angle flattens out half way back to provide the easy lift. In sloppy conditions, if you slow down enough and trim enough to keep your bow down, your bow will cut the waves nicely like a deep V boat and won't allow the wave to hit your shallow butt. That's all there is to it. Any half intelligent mariner will figure this out in a few trials and then love the versatility and economy of an Arima.

I just got back from Nootka where we ventured out to Bajo Reef in pretty sporty conditions one day. Alongside a bunch of guides in there 28-30 Grady's, Trophy's or Pursuits. They didn't even have their lines in the water yet by the time we arrived a few minutes later. And yes, our kidneys are still fine!
100% agree!

A number of years ago, we were heading out in our 17 foot Tyee from Winter Harbour, and a 19 foot Arima was right behind me, but as we we got closer to Kains and it got pretty snotty, the Arima was bouncing pretty good and could not keep up with us. Maybe that gal was on the Arima.

Back