Are you kidding me?! HARDY GUYS spare spool deal.

PEETZcanada

I just committed and bought a spare HARDY Bros. Spool from a well known member of this site "Hardy Guy". I received the spool via Canada Postal shortly after 10am. Once I had a few tasks out of the way, I grabbed the spool and started playing.

A buddy challenged me to build a hybrid reel some time back shortly after acquiring all the assets of PEETZ Outdoors. So about an hour ago 130 pm or so after doing some eyeballing and visualization, I dumped out this modified spool. I reformed the back plate of it to sit nicely and more similar looking to the PEETZ brass back plate that helps create the spool.

I got everything aligned and clicking and spinning nicely. Tomorrow I'll work on a custom shaft to better fit the rest of the drag components and button it up and get it ready to fish.

I'd show you a video clip of it sounding out, but this site doesn't have that functionality yet. Maybe I'll post it to Instagram or Facebook later.

Too easy. 🙂

Attachments

• 20240424_141019.jpg
    20240424_141019.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20240424_142639.jpg
    20240424_142639.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20240424_143648.jpg
    20240424_143648.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Here she is, proof of concept 100% functional, 98% Complete. Just finalizing a few dimensions on the center drum and bending up a custom line guard. Otherwise fishable as she sits.

Attachments

• 20240425_111307-01.jpeg
    20240425_111307-01.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 72
That
Here she is, proof of concept 100% functional, 98% Complete. Just finalizing a few dimensions on the center drum and bending up a custom line guard. Otherwise fishable as she sits.
what would you call it ???? a Peez....arty reel Or maybe just Party

That

what would you call it ???? a Peez....arty reel Or maybe just Party
Bbut, its not called HARTY...its HARDY. It is also a one off that I will never produce in the future other than by special request and the person requesting has a HARDY spool to do it. Just playing around a bit, who knows where things will go. :)

And there she was. 100% complete one off concept.

After a crazy morning in emergency getting my finger cut off and sewn up from the second knuckle. Lost the whole tip. Anyway I digress.

After the hospital I went back to PEETZ to work. I was going to continue with what I was doing before my injury on the punch press, but quickly remembered the surgeon said to keep my hand high for a few days...so I shifted gears and finished my day with the help of Bill Hooson. The end result is nothing short of magnificent.

Attachments

• 20240502_161356.jpg
    20240502_161356.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 65
It's surgically shorter. The floppy flat section was useless and would just hinder winding while fighting future fish. I told the doctor exactly what was wrong with it and described the injury to her in detail before I knew anything from the staff or the x-rays. I told her it was pointless to try and save it. She said they could try but it would be over a year of work and healing. I said nope...the fastest way back to work is to cut it off. She agreed and fixed me up then and there. I went back to PEETZ to finish my day of work.

It will be good to go in no time. I am positive of that. It's amazing what a 30 ton punch press with a punch tool attached that is set with a stop gap at the thickness of six sheets of paper can do to the tip of your finger. Flatter than a pancake.

Keep Going. Never Quit. Always keep moving forward. 🙂

Attachments

• 20240502_124006.jpg
    20240502_124006.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
It's surgically shorter. The floppy flat section was useless and would just hinder winding while fighting future fish. I told the doctor exactly what was wrong with it and described the injury to her in detail before I knew anything from the staff or the x-rays. I told her it was pointless to try and save it. She said they could try but it would be over a year of work and healing. I said nope...the fastest way back to work is to cut it off. She agreed and fixed me up then and there. I went back to PEETZ to finish my day of work.

It will be good to go in no time. I am positive of that. It's amazing what a 30 ton punch press with a punch tool attached that is set with a stop gap at the thickness of six sheets of paper can do to the tip of your finger. Flatter than a pancake.

Keep Going. Never Quit. Always keep moving forward. 🙂
Haven't seen this happen for many years....My Dad set up the first Mott's Clamato many years ago.... his "assistant" was helping and turned on the machine by mistake..... Only day in his work history that Dad missed....

I put these on our punch presses. Seems to be working so far. One guy a few years ago punched a perfect 1/4” hole right in the middle of his thumb. This was On a punch press that you need to use one hand to hold the material and the other to make the punch go engage. So he didn’t have any material to punch, other than his thumb.

Attachments

• IMG_6518.jpeg
    IMG_6518.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 13
I put these on our punch presses. Seems to be working so far. One guy a few years ago punched a perfect 1/4” hole right in the middle of his thumb. This was On a punch press that you need to use one hand to hold the material and the other to make the punch go engage. So he didn’t have any material to punch, other than his thumb.
Ya. All my life I have always shut my machines off before clearing excess debris off the surface of the work area. Not sure why I didn't this time. Oh well. If I didn't hear the click it would have been in the middle of my hand. Is what it is. I'm over it and moving forward.

Ya. All my life I have always shut my machines off before clearing excess debris off the surface of the work area. Not sure why I didn't this time. Oh well. If I didn't hear the click it would have been in the middle of my hand. Is what it is. I'm over it and moving forward.
They say that's the least necessary finger. My twin brother has been a millworker for twenty years. We all know how that joke goes...

Back