Appropriate rod to match retro reel?

sly_karma

Crew Member
I found an old 6" Peetz reel in a cupboard at the cabin and sent it to Peetz for restoration. Lovely work for a very reasonable hundred bucks. Now I'd like to hunt down a similarly retro salmon rod and spool it with all mono 20 lb as per normal 1970s set up.

Anyone care to give me some names and sizes of rods to look for out there? I do plan to fish it next summer, mooch some live herring of course.

20211119_221831.jpg20211119_221806.jpg

I was thinking 20 lb mono to comply with Tyee Club rules... be prepared if I ever get a chance at that fishery.

I was thinking 20 lb mono to comply with Tyee Club rules... be prepared if I ever get a chance at that fishery.
Go with 20 lb Maxima Ultra green and a rod 9 feeet or less if that is your plan. Not the best combo for live herring.. look for a 10 or 11 foot Richmake for that ;-)

CR Greg

Nice restoration, it looks very nice and seems worth doing. I have a couple from my Dad and may send one to be restored. One of them has a plexiglass extension handle on it, and is on an absolute pool cue of a rod with roller guides, I keep it rigged with the rockfish descender and a 2lb ball - works great for that.

I also have this one. Similar in design to a Peetz reel but older, and only a bit less than 4" in diameter. I think is about 100 years old, but its still quite functional. As far as i know it was one of several, including a surprisingly small level wind (that I also have), which my Great Grandfather used to fish for salmon around Oak Bay and Victoria waterfront in the 1920s and 30s in a 12' rowboat they built. My brother who is more of a photo guy than me has photos of him with his salmon.
Why did I post this? Because I like your idea of using it in the Tyee Pool if I ever get organized to do that. I guess a split cane rod would be fitting, but I have a 90s mooching rod that my Dad replaced the guides on for me in the last couple years he was around, and I think I would enjoy using that.

reel 1.JPG
reel 2.JPG

The screw in the centre of the reel is left hand thread, don't lose it :) I think the reel is a Nottingham Cross, but not really sure

Rich Make made a trolling rod # 760, I think originally a one piece but I have a a two piece one. It had 4 guides and a tip top. Tyee Marine here in Campbell River made a special order of them and they were #760-1 it was a one piece rod, with 6 guides and a tip top. I will see if I can take a few pictures and post them either later on today or tomorrow. The Peetz reel was won by my wife at a golf tournament. (I won a glass snack serving
dish:D)WhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.13.06.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.15.03.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.17.30.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.19.50.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-11-23 at 10.20.43.jpeg The old English reel was my lte great uncles, Notice the missing screw on the front side

Last edited:
I have an old yellow lamiglass in great condition. What a noodle it is! Not sure I want to give it up but if you really can’t find anything else….

I have an old yellow lamiglass in great condition. What a noodle it is! Not sure I want to give it up but if you really can’t find anything else….
I thought thick short pool cues were the way in the old days before barbless hook rules?

Rich Make made a trolling rod # 760, I think originally a one piece but I have a a two piece one. It had 4 guides and a tip top. Tyee Marine here in Campbell River made a special order of them and they were #760-1 it was a one piece rod, with 6 guides and a tip top. I will see if I can take a few pictures and post them either later on today or tomorrow. The Peetz reel was won by my wife at a golf tournament. (I won a glass snack serving
dish:D)View attachment 72587View attachment 72588View attachment 72589View attachment 72590View attachment 72591 The old English reel was my lte great uncles, Notice the missing screw on the front side
If you are interested in selling the 1 piece 760's, let me know ? I NEED at least 1 more ;-)

CR Greg

I have a 8’ Peetz one piece rod with the 6 roller guides you can have as I would like to see someone get some use of it.
Thank you for that very kind offer! Where is the rod located? Will be April before I'm back near the coast.

Contact Lamiglas or a dealer to. They used to keep all the blanks they used.
Yellow rods were pure fibreglass.

Never run mono on a Peetz. The stretchy mono will put pressure on the spool and warp it over time. If buying a Peetz always check the spool for warp caused by mono. Use backing and braid only.

Back