Anyone Try the Westin Lures?

ILHG

Crew Member
Anyone ever try these Westin Lures for Halibut? They are from Norway & appear to be very good quality. I received a few for xmas which my wife must have ordered online for me. I am excited to try them this year & see how they preform..

The "Big Red" is a juvenile red rock fish that is about 15cm long & weighs 13 oz. I have read that Halibut feed heavily on them in the summer months in the shallows where they hang out until they grow larger & head for deeper water.

The "BiG Bob" is about 30cm long & weighs 16 oz. I have the one with the flames.

The "Crazy Daisy" is about 20cm long & weighs 16 oz. It cmae with both bodys which have different tails. Not sure what type of fish it mimics but it looks deadly.

Anyways just want to know if anyone has used them, & what your thoughts are.

Attachments

• $_1.jpg
    $_1.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 150
  • kinetic-big-bob-noway-lure-480g-30cm-westin-colour-fancy%20cola%20cacao%20-%20mm25106-6882-p.jpg
    kinetic-big-bob-noway-lure-480g-30cm-westin-colour-fancy%20cola%20cacao%20-%20mm25106-6882-p.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 150
  • we-red-ed-rose-fish.jpg
    we-red-ed-rose-fish.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 147
  • westin-crazy-daisy-270mm-400gm-9002468-0-1392973684000.jpg
    westin-crazy-daisy-270mm-400gm-9002468-0-1392973684000.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 148
Anyone ever try these Westin Lures for Halibut? They are from Norway & appear to be very good quality. I received a few for xmas which my wife must have ordered online for me. I am excited to try them this year & see how they preform..

The "Big Red" is a juvenile red rock fish that is about 15cm long & weighs 13 oz. I have read that Halibut feed heavily on them in the summer months in the shallows where they hang out until they grow larger & head for deeper water.

The "BiG Bob" is about 30cm long & weighs 16 oz. I have the one with the flames.

The "Crazy Daisy" is about 20cm long & weighs 16 oz. It cmae with both bodys which have different tails. Not sure what type of fish it mimics but it looks deadly.

Anyways just want to know if anyone has used them, & what your thoughts are.

Gents, this not advertising. I am actually excited about the lures. Just want some feedback

They look good but a plain lead weight painted white will work as well.

IMGP0560.jpg

RockfishJig.jpg

Thanks Guys. No doubt the lures catch more fisherman than fish. The last couple of seasons I have had better luck with jigs than just bait. Mind you I never caught anything bigger than 30 lbs & that could be why.

They look like the old berkly mullet with the same tail. They should do just fine. The mullets look like a swim bait with all the action the tail produces. Should catch there attention.

Tried a Westin "flat matt" for the first time yesterday. No luck, but I think it has potential. Many of the big hali and ling I have caught over the years are filled with the small flounders.

Westin does make one called a "sandy andy" which is similar to the savage sand eel which I like, might give that a shot sometime.

Those work best plain it's the tiny electrical current generated by copper & saltwater that does the trick-that and pounding bottom.

Cool stuff thanks.

Sorry another question, are they weighted at all.

That’s what I figured.

Thx guys.

I’d say not all jigs are created equal. Our trip to Haida for me really narrowed what I’ll bring on the next trip. Day 1 I had 4 Hali in the boat before anyone else had hooked up and I was using a bare Shimano Flat Side jig (orange/gold 280g tipped with a glow hoochie) and others were using bait. The other ones that were lights out were the Westin Slim Jim and Crazy Daisy with the Slim Jim being more effective however the plastics are fairly soft and not terribly durable. 3 of my ling were in the mid 30's. I think that the Flat Side jig creates a reaction bite vs flavour/scent and natural presentation. I rarely EVER use bait but then again, I've never caught a ling over 40lb so maybe that's what it takes...

Back