Anyone successfully splice prawn line that can still be used through a ACE / Brutus prawn puller?

smokedvw

I tried to splice mine last year and it ended up being still too thick to be able to properly feed on the main aluminum wheel and bent it.

I'm debating trying again after watching this video
it seems like it wont get that much thicker. Traps are in the water so it will be a bit of a PITA to do on the boat with wet rope I'm sure.

I had my lines all cut last year and the year before which has resulted in 3 knots on 2 sets and 2 on the other which makes the pulling process just more of a PITA than without. I have thought of getting new lines but was thinking maybe I can try one last time and do this better.

I spliced 3 strand leaded crab trap line per the video and it passes through the brutus without any problem

Last edited:
I spliced 3 strand leaded cab trap line per the video and it passes through the brutus without any problem
Ok ill check it today when I go out there... might be a PITA to do while they are in the water and wet but I can possibly live with it this season and then switch over next.

I spliced mine. I find it sometimes needs a little tug to get by the hands free,, but other than that works well

I have been asking all around the docks if someone knows how to splice the lead line or if you can splice the lead line without a problem. Thanks for posting this.

I have been asking all around the docks if someone knows how to splice the lead line or if you can splice the lead line without a problem. Thanks for posting this.
Yeah will save me $190 vs going to trotac to buy 1000' of new line.

Put a taper on each end of your splice ,tuck all 3 ,3 times then 2 once then one , once. Get your self a Swedish fid and make it easier

I tried to splice mine last year and it ended up being still too thick to be able to properly feed on the main aluminum wheel and bent it.

I'm debating trying again after watching this video
it seems like it wont get that much thicker. Traps are in the water so it will be a bit of a PITA to do on the boat with wet rope I'm sure.

I had my lines all cut last year and the year before which has resulted in 3 knots on 2 sets and 2 on the other which makes the pulling process just more of a PITA than without. I have thought of getting new lines but was thinking maybe I can try one last time and do this better.
I have spliced a bunch of sinking and floating lines I had kicking around. Haven't had a problem.

You don't need any special tools...need nose pliers helps.... I've had no problems splicing 5/16 leaded line. If you splice it right it isn't much thicker than original...

If you continue to have problems switch out the wheel for a bigger one.

Call me crazy but ... I have made a long tapered splice by cutting the ropes on 18" matching diagonals (with a sharp Olfa boxcutter). Clamp the rope ends between 2 boards for cutting. Burn off the fuzz before releasing from the clamps. Tape the end, then pull inside a 24 " long piece of adhesive lined shrink tubing. Then use the heat gun. It's quick and surprisingly strong. (Test a sample behind your truck!) It feeds through like nothing.

I made a few splices when I was commercial fishing. When you finish a splice, drop the rope on the deck, put your foot on it, and roll it back and forth a few times. That tightens the splice up. And if the ends were trimmed close before rolling the splice, they might even tuck inside the splice. That might make the splice fit in your wheel better.

Last edited:
Or you can wrap the splice tight with the black twine from pacific net and twine.

1650645510444.png

3 strand splicing is the easiest way to splice 2 ropes, I've been doing it for years. Made my own anchor line and others for friends too. For this size of rope a Swedish fid 5/16", electrical tape, a bic lighter, and pliers is all I use. At the end of the splice I'll finish it off the California Style as shown in my picture. Keep pulling and and working the line. After 5-7 wraps from both directions, it should be as strong or even stronger than the original rope. Then melt the rope ends to help with the strength and integrity. I'd say whipping the ends is. only useful for double braid ropes and 5 or 7 and 9 strand ropes.

Have fun!
IMG_0087.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
When you finish a splice, drop the rope on the deck, put your foot on it, and roll it back and forth a few times. That tightens the splice up.
Brought back memories when I read this. I had an Uncle back on the Rock who fished salmon many many years ago. Watched him do many splices and his final touch was always to drop it on the floor of his shed and roll it around with his foot.

Use a long splice instead of a short splice. More tapered and meant more for running through blocks etc. I've never used it myself but many fishermen do and there are lots of videos online.
this is what i did and the long splice does work through my brutus

Back