Anyone run a 140hp on a 185 podded DE?

It will be enough if you keep the boat light and prop it properly if your going to load 4 guys gear etc it will be a slug. Problem with the 140s is torque vs the 150s are a detuned 200 but you do save some weight. We should go for a burn in my boat so you can see the 150hp and then use that to help make your decision.

It will be enough if you keep the boat light and prop it properly if your going to load 4 guys gear etc it will be a slug. Problem with the 140s is torque vs the 150s are a detuned 200 but you do save some weight. We should go for a burn in my boat so you can see the 150hp and then use that to help make your decision.
Chatting w/Maple Marine / Wescan (Tohatsu dealers) and both are telling me the Tohatsu 140 is very comparable to the Merc150 in performance. I want to get it rite.... but substantial $ increase 140 to 150 has me considering all my options. Maple has a 25" 2022 model in stock on sale.

I would have a hard time believing that, the tohatsu is lighter but it’s also only a 2L vs the merc 3.0L and only an extra 50#. Merc also has 60A alternator vs tohatsu 40A. If your talking about a 17’ DE I think the tohatsu is the clear winner but the 18with hardtop all loaded up will need some torque to push it along. It’s a similar hull design to my Hourston they’re nice riding and comfortable hulls for their size but not the most fuel efficient and need the extra power.

They were tested side by side down south and there was no difference other than fuel economy. I think the 140 build was better than mercury. They bolt a head onto the block instead of Mercury's 3 piece 15inch stud system. Roller cams and a tuned exhaust they get the lower powerhead resistance with finer tuning

MFS140_3_R.jpg

We have them on 20ft center consoles. And they rip. Better on fuel than the merc 150 at this time. I find it interesting because normally in engine land when you add displacement to get the same performance you gain efficiency and fuel economy. Not in this instance. That's the interesting part to me.

Last edited:
I would go with extra power personally at minimum 150hp that boat if you can. My podded malibu is heavy as double eagle and has 150 zuke. You will kick yourself later you didn't do it if go to a 140hp. And if you have a motor 25" leg right now you can get I suggest you grab it. Now is the time when the shortages start to happen.

Agree with @Brando it's nice to have extra power for all gear/people.

Don't know much on Tohatsu.

They were tested side by side down south and there was no difference other than fuel economy. I think the 140 build was better than mercury. They bolt a head onto the block instead of Mercury's 3 piece 15inch stud system. Roller cams and a tuned exhaust they get the lower powerhead resistance with finer tuning

View attachment 90005

We have them on 20ft center consoles. And they rip. Better on fuel than the merc 150 at this time. I find it interesting because normally in engine land when you add displacement to get the same performance you gain efficiency and fuel economy. Not in this instance. That's the interesting part to me.
That's a bold statement for a new motor Ship. I'd like to see you be right by the way.

So they have figured out how to get the same holeshot out of a 2l as Merc does out of the 3l, and deliver better cruise mpg.. . That one smells a little funny though, like they haven't propped the Merc to its potential (Kinda like the sharrow tests). I'd like to see a new legit player in a market that is virtually ignored by todays outboard manufacturers. Merc hasn't changed the 150 in what, 10 years? Nor yam or suz to any significance. What's changed in a 150 yam since 20 years back? All the R&D seems to go to the big motors targeting that all important southern market.

That's a bold statement for a new motor Ship. I'd like to see you be right by the way.

So they have figured out how to get the same holeshot out of a 2l as Merc does out of the 3l, and deliver better cruise mpg.. . That one smells a little funny though, like they haven't propped the Merc to its potential (Kinda like the sharrow tests). I'd like to see a new legit player in a market that is virtually ignored by todays outboard manufacturers. Merc hasn't changed the 150 in what, 10 years? Nor yam or suz to any significance. What's changed in a 150 yam since 20 years back? All the R&D seems to go to the big motors targeting that all important southern market.
Not exactly my words. They did test them against the merc 150s on the same boat with the same prop and they were pretty much identical. Least that's what they told me after running the test. Was about geeze I wanna say bit over a year ago. Before the dealers could access them. That graph is the dyno test for that engine. I'm just passing along information. I find it interesting to say the least. We will see how they hold up. That's the real question of course. So far so good. The last one that was a single installation we did was on a 20ft whaler. Older one. Fairly heavy boat being an older boat. Took off a 150 ficht and it sings songs with that 140. I would say the tohatsu is better built looking at the cylinderhead, that's only my opinion and not a biased one. I personally don't like the cupped valves. I like adjustable valves. Roller cam is always nice. Again that is my opinion. I think it makes for a smoother operation withing the mechanics of the engine itself. I'll talk engine mechanics all day and always like to hear other people's opinions and knowledge based on knowledgeable experience.

Mercs have made changes in the last 10 years or so, however I can't say exactly when they made the major change in the powerhead since the first lost foam casted block that started in 2006ish? Yamaha made big changes as well, right around the same time merc did. Again I don't know when that actually was but was in the last 10 years as well.

I guess at the end of the day you can get however much power from anything you want, it's how it holds up and how long it lasts. No replacement for displacement is how the saying always goes. Unless someone can defeat that with a better build. Time will tell I suppose

Chatting w/Maple Marine / Wescan (Tohatsu dealers) and both are telling me the Tohatsu 140 is very comparable to the Merc150 in performance. I want to get it rite.... but substantial $ increase 140 to 150 has me considering all my options. Maple has a 25" 2022 model in stock on sale.
Sounds like a sales pitch to me

@kaelc I can help with some of your question. As far as any new movement on data sheets I have not been paying mind in that area. As for how those have been holding up, so far so good on my end. I seen one warranty on a first run version, 50hour machine, and it was wam bam thank you ma'am covered and done and delt with quick. Other than that, they have been excellent

@salmonkiller01 The 140 is Tohatsu built. It's the 150 and up range that is Honda built.

Last edited:
Back