Anyone know anything about Renken Seamaster boats?

I don't know too much about the hulls, but those V6 Johnny/Rudes were problematic.
The Ficht models were really bad.
Might be worth having a mechanic check it out.

I thought Ocean Runner were pretty reliable since they are carbed and pretty simple engine. I have heard they burn a ton of gas though.

I had an '87 225 and it had all kinds of problems mostly related to corrosion and complicated electrical system. It was constant maintenance on shining up the contacts on coils, plugs, power pack leads and timer base leads. Any corroded contact could and did cause a cascade of electrical components to go out. I replaced every electrical component on that motor at one time or another. It was down for repair about half the time it seemed. Maybe they made the later versions more marine friendly as I have heard guys say that their motor was a good one but it burns lots of fuel. Flat water we got about 1.5 miles to the gallon and in the ocean that went down to .6 to 1 mile to the gallon. Even though we had a 100 gallon tank I wouldn't have dared go tuna fishing for fear of running out of fuel.

my buddy has that same engine in the 200HP model. He has had it for five or 6 years and has literally put a couple thousand hours on it without any issues. Its just a carbed 2 stroke yes it will burn more fuel but they are pretty bomb proof. That engine was built during the last few years that carbed 2 strokes were really main stream so they were much more refined than their cousins from the 80's. If you don't mind pumping some gas and adding some oil it will serve you well. if that boat had a newer 4 stroke hanging off the back then it would be 18K not 8K.

Back