Anyone have any suggestions on king crab bottom?

Squid Row

We tried offshore Nootka area in a bunch of different spots last summer trying for a king crab but only caught a clown in the trap Lol. Was looking mainly for sand/gravel bottom in 150-300 feet of water. A fisheries officer we talked to said we should at least find some Tanner crab but we only caught rock fish so far.... Any advice anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 938
You mean like the Alaskan King Crabs?

Never heard of anybody getting them off Nootka....enlighten me.......

Or do you mean the crabs like the Box crab? (I believe they are also King Crabs) but don't look anything like the northern ones.

The Box and King as we know them are not exactly out there by the hundreds. You see one once in awhile...by itself.

Don't know about Tanner crab.........

Yep trying for Alaska red king crab, they are definately out there, even a 2/day limit on them, talked to a few people that have seen them spawning on the rocks on the outside. There used to be a commercial season on Tanner crab out there according to the DFO officer I talked to. We catch Box crabs sometimes in the inlets, very rare but when you do it's a half dozen per trap.

We heard rumours of them, but sorry, don't have any info. Just rumours. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back