Anyone else having trouble sighting their target?

fish brain

Crew Member
I was out for a hunt today with my trusty old 308 with Iron sights. Haven't used her in a few years. I had the opportunity to take a nice two point from about 150 yards. I couldn't see the #*#*#*g sights on the gun!
I have another gun with a scope I can use, but I like to shoot open sights.
What do you guys do when your eyes **** the bed?

Like Matt says, get a scope!

I have worn glasses since I was 10....only way I can shoot well is using a scope (for 50+ years)

I was out for a hunt today with my trusty old 308 with Iron sights. Haven't used her in a few years. I had the opportunity to take a nice two point from about 150 yards. I couldn't see the #*#*#*g sights on the gun!
I have another gun with a scope I can use, but I like to shoot open sights.
What do you guys do when your eyes **** the bed?
Yep, mount a scope on your gun. What kind of 308 do you have?

I am hoping to get on a few deer hunts (an at least one Moose Hunt) as retirement closes in on me. I realize I am going to have to scope up as they say.

It is a bit more work for me as I have inherited the family deer gun and have been working on getting it ready for the last decade.

I am a long armed left handed shooter so my "quest for fire " started with my getting "Dad's Rifle " modified with a stock extension. I was able to get measured on a try gun at the Berretta Store in NYNY about 15 years ago.

Then next was a new sling, and I was able to order a custom length one from the "Carlos Hathcock Foundation " https://turnersaddlery.com/ts/produ...e-edition-national-match-service-rifle-sling/

Scope mounts are now becoming easier to find so that is this years project.

I have the receipt for the gun when my dad bought it during WW2 from a guide in Ontario (special permit sustenance hunting and personal security) during WW2 .

When dad bought it he got 5 rounds, took one test shot, came home with 1 unexpended round and 3 deer. The French River area near Timmins , Ontario was a good deer hunting area then. I will try and post up some of his hunt camp photos.

Ammunition was hard to get for a while but 30:40 Krag is now more easily found. I have a supply I acquired going into old hardware stores in the 1980's.

Yep, mount a scope on your gun. What kind of 308 do you have?
It's a Winchester Mohawk 600.
I have two of them from my parents. They bought identical his and hers guns back in the eighties. One has a scope and one doesn't.

It's a Winchester Mohawk 600.
I have two of them from my parents. They bought identical his and hers guns back in the eighties. One has a scope and one doesn't.
You’re right, you’re eyes really are gibbled!! LOL,,, A Mohawk 600 is a nice rifle that was made by Remington. If your eyes think it says Winchester on the side. that really is a problem…. LOL.. Nice rifles for sure tho', enjoy shooting them. BTW, my eyes have also Sxxx the bed, so I know where you are coming from.

Last edited:
Yup... Getting older sucks. Not sure if my eyes or ears are going bad faster. My challenge has been getting used to wearing glasses while hunting over the past few years. Now I have a scope, binos and glasses to try to keep clear while hunting in the rain. Have to look through glasses and scope. Was so much easier before glasses.

You’re right, you’re eyes really are gibbled!! LOL,,, A Mohawk 600 is a nice rifle that was made by Remington. If your eyes think it says Winchester on the side. that really is a problem…. LOL.. Nice rifles for sure tho', enjoy shooting them. BTW, my eyes have also Sxxx the bed, so I know where you are coming from.
i have a Mohawk in .243 . terrible scope though.

Buying 30-40 Krag ammunition in the mid 1980's was a fulsome experience. My job had me attending meetings all over mid and northern BC.

Any time I saw an old time hardware store I stopped and went in to look around. If they sold ammunition I would always ask if they had any 30-40.

Quite often the older gentleman would go into the back and come out with a few boxes. I would ask to see what they had (mostly to check the price) . I always bought what they had and always at the price on the box. They usually they had marked prices of $2.50 and up to maybe $6.00

It was often a wake up moment for the store owner when I would say, "I will buy them all, got any more.?" At that point the lack of current pricing came home ,

Back