Anyone catching Humpbacks?

S

SIR

Was wondering of anyone else has been catching any Humpback Shrimp in their prawn nets during the last few weeks. In our area at this time of year they come up out of the deep water into shallower water (300') to spawn. Was wondering if they are doing that in other areas? Not sure how common humpies are in BC....

The look similar to a side spot prawn in profile but have swirly colorations like a tiger and their shells are very slippery.

We were in the inlet last month and got a few humpbacks in every trap (as we normally do every year). They are delicious ~ better than prawns.

Hey - let's not get carried away, they are good but nothings better than a fresh prawn :D

I tried to nail a smaller one with a cannonball once in hopes that i would knock it out and could drag it in, but i missed...

Sorry, i had to do it. [}:)]

I always get a couple in my traps each set, but usually throw them back with the females. Yammy5's response got me thinking though...

When I first started prawning and would catch 10 - 20 prawns per set, and a bunch of humpies, I would just throw them in together with the prawns and garlic and butter. By the time the prawns were done, the shrimp were overdone (and tiny) and while still good, were nothing to write home about.

I love sushi, and amaebi, or raw shrimp has always been an (expensive) indulgence when in a Japanese restaurant, so last time I was out, I peeled a couple of humpies and tried them.

WOW!!! Not a one is ever going back over the side! They are much sweeter than raw prawns, and with a better, less 'greasy' texture. Thanks yammy5 for leading me to a new discovery :D

I always get a couple in my traps each set, but usually throw them back with the females. Yammy5's response got me thinking though...

When I first started prawning and would catch 10 - 20 prawns per set, and a bunch of humpies, I would just throw them in together with the prawns and garlic and butter. By the time the prawns were done, the shrimp were overdone (and tiny) and while still good, were nothing to write home about.

I love sushi, and amaebi, or raw shrimp has always been an (expensive) indulgence when in a Japanese restaurant, so last time I was out, I peeled a couple of humpies and tried them.

WOW!!! Not a one is ever going back over the side! They are much sweeter than raw prawns, and with a better, less 'greasy' texture. Thanks yammy5 for leading me to a new discovery :D

Back