Anybody have any experience with the "chirp" tranny technology?

Sharphooks

Lots of discussion about CHIRP over on THT (compressed high-intensity radar pulse) ---supposed to show target detection that isn't even in the same neighborhood as conventional 50/200 with 600W/1Kw/2Kw etc. You can get more info on the Airmar website (and get a nosebleed when you see how much they want for a CHIRP tranny...).

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/brochures/InHullCHIRP_BR.pdf

To date, only Simrad and Garmin have color displays that are CHIRP-compatible. Raymarine and Furuno are supposed to have something later this year (?) . Furuno has been surprisingly quiet about how they're going to approach the CHIRP technology (or whether any of their current color sounders will be tweaked so as to be made CHIRP compatible)---sort of like their non-response to Lowrance/Simrad's digital 3G/4G radar technology...

Airmar claims crystal-clear target separation, whether fish are pasted to the bottom in 3,000 M of water or under your boat.

I have a thru-hull 1 Kw conventional "pulse" tranny. There were times off of Uke over the years when there were good numbers of salmon under me from right under the boat down to 150 feet, mixed up with thick schools of pilchards.

On my screen, all I saw were long dark bands of pilchards, with occasional salt and pepper red flecks mixed up in the band---I could never get clear enough target separation to look at that sign and say to myself..."yeah, that's a spring" or "yeah, that's a Ho", yet both my rods were going off regularly so there wasn't much doubt about what the red spots were. I've got to wonder if dropping a CHIRP into my wetbox would change all that?

I can imagine that for halibut, there certainly might be applications. I'd love to see a CHIRP screen-shot of a 80 lb halibut pasted to the bottom in 200 feet of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will let you know how well it works in Ukee when I move the boat over in May. I am sure I will have lots of screen shots to share come fall. I have the b265 for the nss 12 and the 600w 744 wider angle for my Hds 10. Units are networked together so I can run the wide angle on the big screen as well. Can't wait

Back