ANY ONE CANNING IN TINS?

B

Betty Boop

Thinking I would like to see if canning in tins is feasable, any one know where to buy machine and supplies? What is the cost factor? Or should I stick with glass jars?
Thanks for any info.
Betty :D

easier to get salmon jars you just need a good pressure cookeronce you have cans and can lid machine tinningputs out a great product with minimum effort

Not yet. I've been using the glass jars for years for canning everything. Recently a Buddy of mine found in storage his old canning machine, along with several cases of tins. He's selling me the works soon, so I'll be experimenting with that shortly now.

Letcha know as it goes...

Cheers,
Nog

Not to hijack but whats the best way to prepare canned salmon? Just like tuna? I canned a big whitey this summer and havent found it that good.

i just put in the salmon and add nothing i like canned salmon and mayo sandwiches if i want salt i add it later not before.

Seems like canning in jars is way more eco friendly because they are reusable. The tins are neat, but is there any benefit to them? (Seriously,)

I was thinking that cans (tins) would be more convienient to take away in a camper, no glass jars to wash up and drag back home once empty. Not the worry of breakage when traveling in camper. Cost would be another consideration.
Betty. :D

Have been canning salmon for many years. Easy and convenient.
1 tsp. coarse salt per tin. If fish is not deboned 1 tsp. white vinegar will break them down. Preference to boning, including wing bones for me.
90 min. at 10 psi.
New type cans are tapered, may need to adjust some older type canners.

faster cleaner no fish smell after your done easier storagecans can be recycledthet cost more than jars thougheasier to give away i never got the jars back anywayive done stew and chili and looking forward to canning game soonnever a worry about a crack that might let air in so i feel much safer with tinsvery quick and easy way to dispose of large salmon that will not be wastedalways tastes great never throw out a can no escaping of liquid during cooking so never the dreaded dry can of fish always moistand tasty

quote:Originally posted by Steelhead S2
Like taking boxes of wine on the boat, rather than bottles.
Now why didn't I think of that?

billreidsalmon.jpg

Back