Any chum showing up at Browns Bay ?

Was up at Telegraph Cove on Tuesday for whale watching. There was 15 seiners out marking their areas for seining today. Scuttle buck was the main part of the chum run is still a week away. Not many fish eating killer whales around as they are all north where the chum run is. Next weekend may be better?

Oct 10th by my notes :) heading up discovery passage again weather permitting next weekend for long weekend will be fishing greensea Saturday fingers crossed

Ended up with one 12lb chum. The bite see to come on at high slack, we had a double header and saw a couple others. Seiners seemed to be doing okay. We're gonna try Green-Sea tomorrow if the weather holds. The chum was on a pink and black squirt, 32" leader, behind a green flasher at ~45' just off Separation Head.

Good luck of there!

On the topic of Chum tackle-

I've heard of many guys running the squirts and regular size hoochies with spin n glo's ahead of them. I haven't done much of this before.

What size and colour spin n glo's would you guys recommend for squirts and what about for regular hoochies?

I've usually just run the standard pink and blue with the glow head, and pink and black squirts without a spin n glo. Also had luck with a small black/purple apex. all on 36 inch leaders. Haven't ever found flasher colour to matter too much, generally depth and tide have been more important factors for me.

I'm heading out tomorrow (Sunday) so I'll report back tomorrow night. It would sure be nice for someone to post a report from last day or two.

Sorry - last time out (Friday) we were able to catch 4 wild Coho (all released) but not one Chum from Deep Water Bay. Didn't go to Greensea as it was a short day. Not a great report, Paul...but it's a report! :)

Had fairly good fishing on the flood this afternoon at Separation Head at Deepwater Bay we managed 5 chum and released two wild Coho.

Fished Separation and Plumper today. Released 4 wild coho, caught one chum and kept one hatchery coho. Lost another one. Overall OK but not super.

Fished again today (Monday) along the wall north of Deep Water Bay and at Plumper. Had to leave at 1:00 so missed the flood (usually more productive tide up at Browns Bay). Wall was dead. Released 3 wild coho at Plumper. Saw a couple fish landed but very slow... Again, this is before the flood.

Very slow in Deepwater bay this morning after seeing hundreds of Chum going by yesterday I only saw a few wild Coho caught and released. Ended at Plumper Bay for the last three hours of the Ebb where we caught one thirteen pound chum saw no others caught except for a few more released wild Coho. There were huge schools of Chum and Coho going by on the surface at Plumper but they seemed to have a bad case of Lockjaw.

Friend and I are headed up to browns bay for the long weekend; sunday ; Monday. Any one else planning up there this coming weekend; maybe we can get together and talk shop.
Also has anyone had any luck prawning up the passage. Was thinking of bringing the traps along. PM if you want to reply.

Back