Another interesting thread on tht about yamaha: Water intrusion into power head

Man this yammi thread is getting tiresome-isn't there some horror stories on motors I don't own-so I don't have to feel like Harvey dumb sh#t all the time!!LOL

Surely there are some bad Zukes,Mercs,honda,s etc we can dump on so their owners tremble thru the winter too!! We'll leave out Mariners , chryslers and OMC legs-they already feel bad and no need beating on them,they've already had too much abuse!!

Ya, spring fever---I feel your pain---I have a couple of Yamahas so I like to stay up on this stuff, good news or bad news or in between.

The water intrusion thing is interesting---I had no idea you could flood a power head if you back down at high speed. What got my attention was the insinuation (so far, that's all it is) from one of the guys posting that water intrusion can be found in several different models and Hp's in the Yamaha line-up ---the unspoken thing (so far) is that the water can pool in the PH and not drain which would have scary consequences for guys who live in cold weather environments

OMG sure glad I'm running Zukes. Never been a Yami fan, although I have a 9.9 HT for now until Zuki builds a 20 hp long shaft with remote and power tilt...then I'm changing over. Hopefully Yami can re up the new big blocks to solve those problems in future model years.

OMG sure glad I'm running Zukes. Never been a Yami fan, although I have a 9.9 HT for now until Zuki builds a 20 hp long shaft with remote and power tilt...then I'm changing over. Hopefully Yami can re up the new big blocks to solve those problems in future model years.

Like was said, all engines have thier issues.

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/505585-lawsuit-says-suzuki-outboard-overheats

Read the comments, all kinds of brutal things happening with zukes.

I have a early 90's 2 stroke johnson on my DE. Simple and zero probelms. Back when you didnt need an IT degree to fix your OB.

ON another note, On my old boat i had a 2008 75 yammy 4 stroke. With 110 hours I fried a coil. 40 hours later the impellor was facked. Sold the boat that winter.

LOrne

Last edited by a moderator:
Like was said, all engines have thier issues.

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/home/505585-lawsuit-says-suzuki-outboard-overheats

Read the comments, all kinds of brutal things happening with zukes.

I have a early 90's 2 stroke johnson on my DE. Simple and zero probelms. Back when you didnt need an IT degree to fix your OB.

ON another note, On my old boat i had a 2008 75 yammy 4 stroke. With 110 hours I fried a coil. 40 hours later the impellor was facked. Sold the boat that winter.

LOrne

They all have some issues for sure. Those issues are spread out all over the internet too. Every manufacturer has issues. Go with the one that you feel best with recovery or go with the one with the least internet publicity. I'm waiting for Tohatsu to come out with some big blocks. Right now I'll stick with the Honda Davidsons that I run. Knock on wood lol.

The funny thing is I really like the smart craft system that Merc has and the Command Link Plus system that Yammy has but I'm scared to death of them. Honda has not entered into this realm yet for a reason. Maybe they are waiting to perfect it in the background. That is what I'm hoping for. Crazy Japanese lol!!!

All motors have their issues but at least Mercury stands behind their product, Unlike Suzuki (shameful warranty parts network) and to a lesser degree Yamaha . I have nothing but good things to say about their Merc
s warranty dept and my dealer, RPM in Tofino....... 1st class all the way!

Agreed, they all have issues...even your beloved Merc's. Watch those super chargers, and they are really expensive to replace and are a problem about the same time they come off warranty. Best to go with a dealer you have a good working relationship with. I have been very happy with Breakers and they have shops in both Port Alberni and Bamfield where I run, so I'm covered. Hear good things about RPM too, and they are local guys in your area so it makes a ton of sense. As for Suzuki standing behind their product, I had an impeller fail at 500 hours causing overheat and head gasket failure. They replaced the powerhead with a new one no questions asked...that's why I'm buying another new one at the end of this season to replace one of the twins that is just off warranty.

Back