Another Commy speaks to Halibut Allocation

When I "attack" the guides I attack myself. Next year is my 25th in business.

I just love how people use the term "commercial" to slag us sportsfishermen who try and make a buck at a hobby we love!

anybody who knows me, knows I was/would not slag guides,( I personally know a few great guides that fish both ECVI and WCVI) nore would I slag the Commercial Fisherman who are just trying to do the exact same thing you are doing, pay their bills and put food on their tables..
hate to be the one to inform you, if your trying to make some $$,its a business,and it isn't a hobby anymore

And no, I don't own a quota

thanks for answering,but I already knew that one, I was being a little sarcastic:rolleyes:(kidding)when I asked ...but I'm going way out on a limb here to say,you might want to think outside of the box/ahead of the curve/into the future, and try and get some if your in(or want to stay in) the business that you are...it might be a great investment?

And for your information, I haven't taken a personal Halibut since 2008 when I got one - on a friends boat. Oh, I've killed a lot of Halibut - but they were all caught by clients.

find part of this one hard to believe, not calling you a liar...I do believe you when you say you have killed a lot of hali's, but since you "kinda" touched on the subject.... ever keep that one extra fish for a client on your licence only to give it to your client to take home on their 2 day limit?.... didn't think so, that NEVER happens...

What I wouldn't give to be able to fill my freezer with fresh caught Halibut! If only it didn't cost me $250 in fuel just to go look for Halibut! Just to find it is too windy to go off-shore!

if it was all about $$ and putting "meat/fish" in the freezer, all the "sports fishers" I know would sell off their rigs and drive down to Safeway to buy their fish....

You say that you are not hot to put restrictions on sportsfishermen - then WHY would you even bring up the subject when we are talking ALLOCATION, not CONSERVATION?

think about that one....its all about "allocation" and setting or "allocating" a set # a fish per sporty licence per yr...makes dam sence to me and I'd think you would want this for your clients, you could make plans out into the future knowing they could retain a set #,if they wanted, when booking their trips....

You are attempting to buy your way out of the 88/12 rule by offering up a new restriction on sportsfishermen. "Oh, Mr. Commercial Fisherman, please don't hurt me - I promise I won't catch more than 10 Halibut a year if you just let me fish all year!"

buy my way out? no again just thinking out side the box here...

You want to talk "rule changes"? How about these:

1- Commercial Halibut fishermen will fish their own quotas or lose them. Period.
2- Catch your quota in season this year - or lose it. No rolling over to next year.

LOVE these ideas and think most if not all would agree...

Make the split 50/50 and the price of Halibut will remain high and profitable. Less work for more money - how can the commercials not like this?

can't comment,not a commercial fisherman, sorry....

As someone else already mentioned here. If we get a catch restriction of 10 per year, or whatever, you can be sure we will have that for the rest of our lives. Like herpes, we will never be rid of it!

so what,as also mentioned before in different threads we have had 30 springs on a licence for yrs, and the average caught is 2-3? fish per licence per yr, if this is the only argument against this idea? wow pretty weak if you ask me....

3- Draggers must keep all fish caught and deliver them to the processing plants where they will be counted and a fee paid for each one to buy quota from the longliners. The fee will be double the longliner royalty fee.

HELL YA 100% agree

4- Commercial fishermen caught throwing back dead or dying fish will lose their licence to fish commercially for one year. Each new offence will double the fishing ban - 2, 4, 8, 16 years etc. And that applies to the crew AND the boat. No leasing out the boat for off years.

hard to argue against, but sure it would happen sometimes even with the best fishing practices...unless they were required to keep everything they caught...

When Halibut fishing becomes a CONSERVATION issue, come back and talk about the annual limits. Until then, join in supporting all sports fishermen.

in the end, is this what managing the stocks are all about ,conservation...
and I'll be the first to thank you,and anyone else for their hard work in the past and into the future on behalf of the sports fishing community...Cheers and best of the season to you all...

LOL .....Unfortunately like everyone else in the tourism business, we see our American friends exiting the dance floor for a stool and a beer and only watching from the sidelines these days.

excellent post springfever. unfortunatly there are few on this site who get it. I think most of them wont be satisfied until we have killed the last halibut or at least beat it down like we have the springs. as you stated most on here are guides who are only looking at the bottem line of business or how much fish they can supply to their american clients. 70% of all sports caught halibut is taken by a guide or lodge and out of that a large percentage are american clients.

FYI all longline and trap boats have 100% camera monitoring. Any fish over 32"(legal length) that is released has to be covered by quota. Also when they refer to Halibut as the best managed fishery in the world it is directed at commercially caught halibut, not the wild west sports fishery we have going here now.

anybody who knows me, knows I was/would not slag guides,( I personally know a few great guides that fish both ECVI and WCVI) nore would I slag the Commercial Fisherman who are just trying to do the exact same thing you are doing, pay their bills and put food on their tables..
hate to be the one to inform you, if your trying to make some $$,its a business,and it isn't a hobby anymore

thanks for answering,but I already knew that one, I was being a little sarcastic:rolleyes:(kidding)when I asked ...but I'm going way out on a limb here to say,you might want to think outside of the box/ahead of the curve/into the future, and try and get some if your in(or want to stay in) the business that you are...it might be a great investment?

find part of this one hard to believe, not calling you a liar...I do believe you when you say you have killed a lot of hali's, but since you "kinda" touched on the subject.... ever keep that one extra fish for a client on your licence only to give it to your client to take home on their 2 day limit?.... didn't think so, that NEVER happens...

if it was all about $$ and putting "meat/fish" in the freezer, all the "sports fishers" I know would sell off their rigs and drive down to Safeway to buy their fish....

think about that one....its all about "allocation" and setting or "allocating" a set # a fish per sporty licence per yr...makes dam sence to me and I'd think you would want this for your clients, you could make plans out into the future knowing they could retain a set #,if they wanted, when booking their trips....

buy my way out? no again just thinking out side the box here...

LOVE these ideas and think most if not all would agree...

can't comment,not a commercial fisherman, sorry....

so what,as also mentioned before in different threads we have had 30 springs on a licence for yrs, and the average caught is 2-3? fish per licence per yr, if this is the only argument against this idea? wow pretty weak if you ask me....

HELL YA 100% agree

hard to argue against, but sure it would happen sometimes even with the best fishing practices...unless they were required to keep everything they caught...

in the end, is this what managing the stocks are all about ,conservation...
and I'll be the first to thank you,and anyone else for their hard work in the past and into the future on behalf of the sports fishing community...Cheers and best of the season to you all...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I have maybe 1 american come up to catch halibut... so again a misunifromed person. 70% cmon man you sound like a commercial fisherman or do you work for DFO and come up with the voodoo numbers as well, if so answer me this ok any marina holds about 200 to 250 boats renny,nootka.telegraph cove and usually maybe at most 20 to 40 guides work out of them hhhhhhmmm who makes up the rest ahhhh yeah SPORTFISHERMAN so using your math thats 10% or about 23 % that are guides working in marina and they are taking 70% WOW thats impressive since you can only take 4 halibut a day. plain and simple you dont know whats going on...

wolf

Roy, come on be honest. What would happen day in and day out if you put each days summer Chinook catch from Sooke Harbour Marina out on the dock to compare. The 10 to 12 guide boats catch up against the other 70 sport boat catch. You know on a daily basis that 7 or 8 of the guide boats would be out and maybe 20 to 25 of the regular guys. Me , you, Al, Cal, Terry, Mark, Gordie etc would all have fish or multiple fish depending on the day, the other guys would have a few. I would put money down we would have more fish over a season than they would. We fish 7 days a week, most recreational guys are Sat and Sunday only. My customers always notice that the guided boats seem to be playing fish the majority of the fish taken. Halibut is do different. I've watched the returning boats at Esquimalt Anglers while talking to the Creel survey guys. Boat after boat of the regular sportie with none or a single chicken. A few of the hot rods come in with decent catches. How often do Cal, or Doug or any of the guys who fish hali from the marina come back empty...not often. Usually they have 2 to 4 hali per trip. Do I think we take 70% as stated...nobody can know for sure what the actual numbers are. I do know that we take more per boat over a season for absolute certainty. Although there are a few so called sport fishing individuals who might come close or even top us.

True but those are the guys WE know catching fish there is a lot of GREAT non guides who catch as many if not more than us there are a lot of top rods I know of many great ones and so do you that sometime even out fish us, so us taking them all I doubt it ill give you maybe 25% but no way in hell 70 and of course we are going to get more fish over a season fishing 7 days dont need to be a rocket scirntist to figure that one out. We are out there doing....

Talking about halibut you of all know there is a whack of them caught by "non pros" I know of one who bragged to me he got over 70 2 yrs ago and he isnt a guide and less only around 50 this last year.
One only has to look at west and east constance on a good halibut tide to see ALL the boats out there. And I think its great but when I go to these meetings and fight and ask hard questions its not only for me but for every other fisherman out there because I dont think its FAIR and will continue to fight, its not about me its about us in whole as canadians. and the right to fish.
We need to get past this guide and non guide because if you dont like it or not we are all pooled together and thats the FACTS In DFOs eyes we live in the land of choices and if you want to not write letters and support your local sfab thats fine that someones choice when its gone though dont come whining and cying because its gone that was ones "choice"

Good luck Wolf

I agree the percentage is in doubt, just like almost every other DFO statistic on sector catches. All I'm saying is our smaller numbers still account for a big portion of the catch. However your helping my argument for an annual halibut limit with mention of a single "non-guide" who by his own admission has 120 halibut to his name over 2 seasons. He must be one hell of a big eater. I know he is not alone, there are a few more out there with similar numbers. Again this speaks to a more fair and reasonable distribution of the fish available to everyone.

yes the numbers came from the groundfish manager at dfo approx 2 yr. ago during the sfi meeting in Vancouver. I can't quite remember his name, Gary or Lary rings a bell.
I would also be in favor of a limit to stop the goldrush for the fish. Also it is my understanding that at 1 and 2 we could have a reduced season but at 1 and 1 with a late start the season could continue through the summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The late start is a problem in areas 19 & 20. It will be interesting to see if the big lodges get their way and the season opens late. (May to Sept)

Let's get it straight

"its not about me its about us in whole as canadians. and the right to fish.
We need to get past this guide and non guide because if you dont like it or not we are all pooled together"

Amen! It's not about commercial, FN, guide or rec fishing. It is all about a flawed allocation system, and bogus poundage computation by DFOops. When I am told by DFO that overflights and creel counts (when was the last time you saw someone doing creel counts and did they record poundage?) is their sole basis for their numbers I smell a very large rat. We are all being shafted by this nonsense and it is past time that we band together and get this rectified.
And yes, I fully support the idea of eliminating the "slipper skipper" quotas! Fish it or lose it. Unused allocation must not be carried over to future years either. For us sporties, reporting hali (as we do with salmon) on our licenses would provide a sound basis for estimating actual catch and introduce needed accountability which would go a long way to eliminating friction between sectors.
While I realize that not everyone would be happy with this, we need to accept that just ranting about the current situation without taking concrete steps to deal with all contentious aspects of our fisheries would not only be rejected but would perpetuate problems that will still have to be dealt with down the road. Deferring a reasonably complete solution may leave us vulnerable to more draconian "rules" inflicted by the morons in the ivory towers of (Feds/DFO) Ottawa.
We have to become part of the solution or we are part of the problem and deserving of all the crap we are being subjected to.

Back