Another Cheap Guide?

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
$300 WTF.... This does not even cover the cost of fuel.

Found this on Craigslist Victoria...$300 for two people. The rest of the ad and persons info is in the ad. Along with a picture.

Salmon fishing Charters starting at $300 for two persons. Come and experience the beautiful West Coast. have fun while fishing, watching wales, seals, eagles, otters etc... I offer a unique experience. Locate on Private dock, 25 ft Hourston Glasscraft with heated cabin and head for your comfort. Fish Cleaning , bait and all fishing gears included. Boat is Transport Canada and Coast Guard approved and your Capitain has all the Qualifications for your safety. Don't forget to bring your favorite drinks!!. http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/boa/2615743516.html

Is that not the same one posted a while back?? That picture looks familiar??

The guide may have his "qualifications".....but he can't spell; what kind of "wales" are in the ocean around Sooke and how do watch them?

<EDIT>

Looking at his website I am 99% sure he has been posted up before; that boat definitely has been noted on here before.

His website is pretty hokey pokey. Terribly worded in many cases.

http://www.vipfishing.ca/vancouver island pacific fishing charter price.htm

Sorry....but WTF is my "lifetime fishing adventure" ????

Looking at his pictures.....(no offense to Shimano/Daiwa or any of their users...I have one too!) but I wouldn't call the gear you see in one of his shots...."top of the line fishing equipment".

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the fuel, you still need to get out of the Sooke Basin. Count on 5 gallons of fuel there, back, and trolling on a morning. That's $40 at best. A flat of anchovies, $10 . Heck, if the boat was free, you could do charters at $20 per hour, and make a good living. Until something goes "BOOM" behind you when you are running your boat.

We all make our own business decisions.. He's fishing every day and maybe making money, so good for him! A lot of the top rods in Sooke still charge $75 per hour, so it's not "that" cheap.

(And someone also got very mad at me on the phone for pointing out the finer details of the grammer on his website)

Guides who give deals...seems to be a poignant issue on this forum,since when is spelling/grammer/website design part of the criteria to running a good/profitable guide biz...yep look at some of your ? stuff on this forum until then i rest my case!

LC/others make some valid points...if you can charge less & make it work so be it :cool:..ss

He will probably run the boat until just before it goes boom, if he is lucky, and then sell it to some unsuspecting poor sap trying to move up into a larger boat, and then that guy inherits the results of poor maintenance because of lack of money to do proper full maintenance.

Then again he could have a rich wife that supports him in his activities and he is just guiding for gas money:confused:.

Some of you guys have too much time on your hands at this time year?

FM, one more little detail: it's "grammar." lol

He may be running cheap trips but he isn't the cheapest. I cut him some slack because he is fairly new and doesn't have the experience of most of the top rods. However this operator is a top rod and runs cheaper than the inexperienced. http://www.salmonexcitement.com/rates.html I don't understand. Why sell yourself so short? To each his own, but I just don't get it.

Done it for less with members on this site. No overhead no problem. Some guys just want to subsidize their day on the water. If they are legal it is totally up to them. The alternative is to put them to work and take away their incentive to do it for less.

hey some guys might just be out there to enjoy it as a sport more than a business. Maybe he just uses it to cover the cost of just simply going fishing. We all know how expensive it is to run and maintain a boat as well as the rest of the gear. But for some guys it could be just that little extra cash flow to keep it going. I hear ya about waiting for the boat to go BOOM. But just like any of the other boats floating around in sooke. there is alot more fisherman with no guiding income that are just going to face the facts of running a boat. Im just saying cut the guys a little slack. Like I said, if its justy to cover costs. then so be it. Enough chatting on the computer. Lets get out fishing.

Guides who give deals...seems to be a poignant issue on this forum,since when is spelling/grammer/website design part of the criteria to running a good/profitable guide biz...yep look at some of your ? stuff on this forum until then i rest my case!

LC/others make some valid points...if you can charge less & make it work so be it :cool:..ss

It's not "critical" but if you're "looking" for business and getting people to visit your website; you may want to put a half assed effort in. I have visited most of the guides websites on this forum...or at least those that have their link in their signature and I would tell you this; VIP fishing would be the last one I would hire. You can run the best business possible but if you're "selling" your business based on your website....put in a tiny bit of effort is all I am saying.

He may be great once he has the clients there, may be turning a profit, running a safe ship; but if you can't attract people it all becomes a moot point. If you take pride in your business....you would think you'd take some pride in your website that represents your business.

Maybe charging so little though.....he can' afford a decent site, web designer, a dictionary or even paying some kid in grade 8 to proofread the content.:p :rolleyes:

As stated though....if he can 'make it work' and is content with that....good for him.

He will probably run the boat until just before it goes boom, if he is lucky, and then sell it to some unsuspecting poor sap trying to move up into a larger boat, and then that guy inherits the results of poor maintenance because of lack of money to do proper full maintenance.

Then again he could have a rich wife that supports him in his activities and he is just guiding for gas money:confused:.

I believe that his wife owns a large franchise drug store here in Sooke And have a nice place on the water with a dock also I know tons of guys here in Sooke that Charge $75 or less per hour.You may not be able to make it at $75 per hour if you own a $150 k rig with payments, moorage, Guiding dock fee surcharge ect But a $20 k rig no moorage and a handy mechanic type guy It may be enough to keep the wife and himself Happy and maybe he just enjoys taking people out and having fun
Let alone all the Tax advantages

What # should we call? I will toss in a few bucks if we can find some fat butt in the Sooke area to jump in your row boat and have you row him around for 3 hours. :) Better be able to keep up a good pace for 3 hours as he will be trollong a heavy spoon behind your dingy.

I guess I should open a discount drug store in Sooke just for fun. More tax write offs for me and cheap meds.

You dont run a business to just "cover costs" you of all know better than that in a retail store cmon man!!! what if you put the cost of gear to "just cover cost" how long do you think that store would last if you had a financial hit????? you have to do cost plus bases in % IN ALL business. The way that guy does it doesnt even come close you got to remember you have to cover EVERYTHING as a living its a job like everyone elses job so .
TO "MAKE A LIVING" you have to pay for housing (morgage) food,(house,boat,truck) insurance. hydro,water etc etc the list is endless you will find that out when you move out from your parents place...LOL and what if you have kids??? hhhmmm new twist how you going to pay for little jimmys new shoes and clothes if your barely "covering cost".
Alot of you guys miss that point THIS is a business and job it just we have a great office and love what we do I know lots of people who LOVE there jobs and its not on the water.....

Wolf

Maybe the "occupy wall street/vancouver" folks would be happy if businesses ran to "just cover the costs"...hahaha.

I agree with ya Wolf....even if he just wants to get out.....if he is that financially 'free' (rich wife)....he must have no friends.

If you can make more money in your business.....why wouldn't you??

Wolf, you forgot to mention by working for nothing you screw the market place for the guys who are paying for a mortgage and their kids etc etc. Obviously some people only care about themselves. When I first started going out of town to both Bamfield and Nootka in the 90's I was very careful to make sure my rates were the same as the top guides. Now my rates are higher than most....I do this obviously to make it worth my while to go out of town but also so I don't **** off the locals.

i certainly appreciate the business aspects of guide services. that said, i consistently find the pricing for services in BC far above what i have paid in a variety of venues around the globe. it's an interesting sidebar for which i have no explanation, only an observation. i do find threehundredbucks a bit of a question mark, however.

Back