Anothe Possibel Expla nation for Low Numbers

Barbender

Just got word that a $50 000.00 fine was handed down to a Alaskan processor for letting 400 tons of wild salmon rot in their plant. To put that into context that is close to 800 000 pounds. If you put that into a average weight of say 9lbs that is roughly 89 0000 individual fish. Apparently the fishermen delivered to the processor but the manager of the plant just let it rot leaving the fishermen and the community holding the bag. Here we are just down the coast and not being allowed to retain any sockeye and fewer and fewer springs being caught. Hard to believe this happens in this day and age.

quote:Originally posted by Fish Nutz

Seems like a reasonable fine salmon doens't usually go for more than $0.06/pouund
I don't know where you are getting your information, but even Chum was over 70 cents per pound this fall for the commercials.
But then again, sounds more like a troll.

Fish Nutz!!! How could you possibly say that this is a reasoanble fine!!!!
With all that has been happening in this day and age. Pull your head out of your butt. This was 400 TONS of Salmon not 400lbs. This is one documented case who knows how many have gone on with out being reported.
I live in Alberta where there have been some pretty hefty fines handed down for poaching on Walleye, 2000$ for 5 fish over the limit. The fines are getting steeper as they should be. I think BC should get a little tougher on there fines. I was checked out twice this summer out by Massett. Both times we were all on the up & up.
I am not a fisheries biologist, but I am pretty sure that 89,000 lbs of Salmon would likely carry on to a big PARTY

I guess I should make my statement more clear it was sarcasm!Everybody knows salmon goes for way more than that! Guess I shoulda used a little emoticon like this [xx(]or somthing to make sure ppl got my intent. I think it's a travesty that all those fish not only went to waste but that they could have spawned and helped out our depleating stocks. Also this ones for rig dog you might want to think before yo tell ppl to pull their heads out of their asses...When you think about it 6 cents a pound is obviouly not a good price for anything let alone for our valuable salmon so next time read it twice and if you're gonna post anything or you're hot about it ask the intent...Maybe by saying you must be kidding or I hope thats sarcasm otherwise pull your head out of your butt

quote:but I am pretty sure that 89,000 lbs of Salmon would likely carry on to a big PARTY

Actually it was 800 000 lbs which roughly translates into 89 000 fish. Your right $50 000.00 is nothing.

Fish Nutz....I have read and re-read your initial post and seeing as you are fairly new here with only limited input, I did not see your Sarcasm.
You're right, an emoticon makes all the difference.

Well I am glad to see that this issue has been solved. I am a fairly new member and appreciate all the experience and knowledge of those who post on here. My only issue is that from my limited viewing of posts (about 8 months worth), it seems that people are very quick to jump to conclusions,take offence and assume intentions are unjust. I realise these are pressing matters and should be taken seriously but a person also has to stop and think before reacting. Also for the record all sarcasm will from this day forth be accompanied by an emoticon:D

quote:Originally posted by Fish Nutz

Seems like a reasonable fine salmon doens't usually go for more than $0.06/pouund

Fish Nutz, I just wanted to let you know that I saw the sarcasm in your post. I really don't see how it can be confusing but maybe my sense of humor is just as warped as yours....lol and it is very sad to see that kind of waste and they should be held accountable for their actions.

Just crunching some numbers.. I hear some guides bragging that they guide into 200 Springs a yr for there guests.. If half of them are females then there is potentialy 400,000 eggs out of the cycle. Of those they estimate only 15% make it out to the ocean. So if a guide catches and bonks on the head 100 female springs in a yr then he is potentialy decimateing the stock by about 60,000 fish that would have made it back into the ocean. Times that by the number of guides, then again by how long they have been guiding... gulp...... Then add the commercial catches on top of those figures.. it is amazing that we have any fish left at all!!

You know CA you bring up a good point. I remember reading many years ago that BC may have permanently damaged it's salmon stocks back in the early 80's with a very aggressive hatchery program. The main issue was the heavy production leading up to Expo 86. I remember reading that they used inferior genetic stock despite warnings from several biologists from around the world not to do so. The idea was to build up the stocks for the tourists that were coming and the result was the complete opposite. Basically very few fish showed up. Kind of makes you wonder. I do know of several rivers in Alaska where the fish are stripped of roe and then dumped in the ocean.
quote:But-- you say--"These were WILD fish"
Good point. I am assuming here because these were mostly sockeyes and springs. Truth be told they very well may be hatchery or ranched fish. The tag wild does not really apply anymore.

This is starting to sound like a bad Monty Python skit....
C.A. the Sarcasm Rigg Dogg was refering to, was posted by Fish Nutz, not by you, but it was misread as not being sarcasm, which has all been cleared up..... and we all need a holiday really soon...

quote:What was dumped in Ak was most likely is REALLY a drop inthe bucket. In the past, they have dumped MUCH greater numbers of hatchery fish-- chums and pinks. They physically just couldnt process anything more than the eggs-- the fish meal factory ships and plants were overloaded-- so the government gave them permission to ocean dump the fish.

I have been involved with some of the hatcheries and when they let the fish ripen to get the eggs out for incubation there isn't a chance in hell I would eat one. They are just too far gone. Could be used for fertalizer or oils perhaps? Then again the crabs need to eat too.

Wouldn't it make more sense to fertilize rivers with the leftovers? Or, are there just too many?

I agree with pablo they are importnant for fertalizing the river more than anything. Lots of hatcheries take trucks and dump carcesses of egg stripped hatch fish along the river banks. Bodies almost everything in and around the river. That said the Nitnat has a contract with a catfood company. They stay at the hatch and have huge totes after we strip the eggs we toss the bodies into them and they get shipped off to the mainland i think. This was for chum. There must be studies on which is more effective?

Kelly’s right. Most dump in the river, it’s the greatest source of nitrogen for the forest. If you dump them in the sea it’s still not a waste, as the sea creatures need it. The only waste is if they go to the dump because you lost power to the freezer. BTW put some sleeping bags over the freezer to extend time if you have a blackout.

Back