Anodized Rod Holder - Usage with Short Rod Butts

dance a jig

I am looking for advise regarding adding anodized aluminum rod holders to arch that are lined inside and flaired out near the top, with a pin approx. 9.25" down from the top of the shaft. The problem is I use 10'6" rods with MR3's and there is only about 7" from the rod butt to the reel housing, and I dont want to bang up the MR3 housing on the holder. Solutions I have thought of include:

1) drilling replacement pins higher up so reel body doesnt come in hard contact with holder
2) inserting something into the rod holder shaft so reel body doesnt come in hard contact with holder
3) adding some rubber liner I fabricate to top of rod holder to protect reels

Certainly others on this forum have 10'6" or longer rods with the short butts before the real seat, and have found a solution to this problem, so I ask you what worked well for you? thanks in advance to your advice.

DAJ

How about inserting a foam plug in the holder so the reel doesn't hit the holder.

I buy pipe rap (foam), cut a 3 " section of it off and cram down into the bottom of the rod holder.... exactly as Casper suggested. My MR3's don't make contact anymore with the holder (scotties in my case). Had the exact same problem once....

boat 2011 006.jpgDip the ends of the holders in plasti-cote

depending on whats on your butts

and the dia of the handles
then try fitting golf club tubes as a liner

iam fitting gimbal butts to most of the rods i have so wont get the twisting around

or wedge in a rebar chair so the rod sits higher up the tube.

Wildthing, I like the idea of extending the butt a couple of inches, but how do you do that? DAJ

Back