And this is how DFO tells the SFAB to **** off: ....

Bryan Allen

From: Ho, Rebecca <Rebecca.Ho@dfo-mpo.gc.ca> On Behalf Of Davis, Neil
Sent: November 19, 2021 9:53 AM
To: martinpaish1@gmail.com
Subject: Paish - Response Regarding the Use of the Term “Public Fishery Advisory Board” to Describe the Sport Fishing Advisory Board - 2021-502-00216

Dear Mr. Paish,

Thank you for the work that you and the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) do to support fisheries work in the Pacific Region.

I would like to take the opportunity to provide Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s position on the suggestion to rename the SFAB to the Public Fishery Advisory Board. The term “public” is not specific to the recreational sector; rather it is broader, and could be interpreted to apply to other fishers as well. The Department does not plan on referring to the BC recreational fishing sector as the public fishery nor to the SFAB as the Public Fishery Advisory Board.

Should the SFAB be interested in pursuing other name changes, this can be discussed with the DFO Regional Manager of Recreational Fisheries, Greg Hornby, as part of the annual work planning process. As the SFAB is the official advisory board to the Department, a name change would require time-consuming updates to many sources of information, and would need to be factored into any future workplans, relative to other priorities.

DFO staff look forward to continue working closely with members of the SFAB on important recreational fisheries matters and I thank you for your commitment to the SFAB process.

Sincerely,

1637888650692.png

Neil Davis

Regional Director of Fisheries Management

Pacific Region

BS answer, clearly all the other fisheries are named by the specific group of public they represent. First Nations fishery is not open to general public, you clearly have to be First Nation. Commercial fishery is not open to the general public, you clearly need a Commercial license. Only one fishery is open to all Canadians ( including FN and Commercial )and as such is truly Public, that’s the currently called Recreational Fishery.
The use of Sport or Recreational is used to minimize the importance to the Canadian Public and DFO is well aware of it. I suggest SFAB press DFO on this issue. Tell them because it is the only fishery that is open to all Canadians it needs to reflect this. Maybe General Public Fishery Access Advisory or Public Food and Family Fishery. Maybe its confusing to DFO because their Masters have trouble with English, someone translate to French for them

Last edited:
Disappointed in reading that but not surprised. Some of me thinks this is more about the name change, and refusal from department to change wording based on cost to the department/time. Updating websites/etc. If it isn't a pressing issue the [department probably sidelined it with the limited budget they have. And no it isn't right.

Disappointed in reading that but not surprised. Some of me thinks this is more about the name change, and refusal from department to change wording based on cost to the department/time. Updating websites/etc. If it isn't a pressing issue the [department probably sidelined it with the limited budget they have. And no it isn't right.
Not sure I buy that. Government Departments change acronyms all the time for various reasons, they even completely rename Ministries, combine and break them up on a whim. I suspect they are concerned about the name change simply because it might resonate more with the general public and raise the profile. Sport and Recreational are way to easy to dismiss as a frivolous uses of the resource.

It could just as easily be that the word "public" is also used in other legal language (precedent cases) to describe a right of access for public fishers who are engaged in commercial fishing and also public fishers engaged in what we formerly knew as recreational fishing.

Perhaps You’re on to something . Although interestingly when you look at the definition section of the Fisheries act, Commercial, Indigenous and Recreational were all repealed. But I can’t find new definitions. Here’s the notification. Seems if there is a definition somewhere for “Public” it could be also be repealed. I’ll keep looking but can’t find a definition for public.

2012, c. 19, s. 133(3), c. 31, s. 175

• 1 (1) The definitions commercial, Indigenous and recreational in subsection 2(1) of the Fisheries Act are repealed.

Perhaps You’re on to something . Although interestingly when you look at the definition section of the Fisheries act, Commercial, Indigenous and Recreational were all repealed. But I can’t find new definitions. Here’s the notification. Seems if there is a definition somewhere for “Public” it could be also be repealed. I’ll keep looking but can’t find a definition for public.

2012, c. 19, s. 133(3), c. 31, s. 175

• 1 (1) The definitions commercial, Indigenous and recreational in subsection 2(1) of the Fisheries Act are repealed.

The Americans have an "all citizens" fishery

Back