Anchovy protest

ship happens

This will be the first year I didn't buy a couple cases of choves. At 40 bucks a lb it's kinda hard to stomach. Anchovie protest in effect. Lining up frozen anchovies for next year. I'll let everyone know what I end up finding. Talking with the big seafood companies atm. See what shakes down.

Group buys welcome
Buying power welcome

Last edited:
15 a tray when you buy a case. Guys are paying 21 plus tax on a couple trays at a time. Complete rip off to the anglers

A number of years ago I bought a case of frozen anchovies from a friend who commercially fished tuna. I paid $50 for the case and had enough chovies for a lot of fishing. The only negative was that sometimes the tail fins tore off taking them out of the case. Overall it was a great deal and I caught lots of fish on them.

That being said I haven’t used bait the last 4 years. I have found that small spoons fished like bait and plugs have produced really well.

I paid about $12 a tray all in this year for the 3 cases I got but used very little. After the first fish of the morning I switched to gear and there was so much fish here I never had one spoon, hoochie, plug or whatever fail to catch.

I bought a couple of trays but haven’t used them yet. Normally I keep buying them throughout the season but not this year. I think they kind of priced themselves out of the market, especially when spoons were working so well.

I only really use bait for mature shoreline fish. Never when coho and pinks around
I find the mature ones will hit pink squirts, small spoons or even white plugs. I just fish slower for them.

Not that I really want a mature river mouth spring. Those are the ones I take out friends who seldom fish and let them take them home. I like the feeding silver ones from early in the season.

As a business man, everyone has a right to make a profit and make a living. I defend that to the end of time. It is what it is and the prices are the prices because that is what they are selling them for.

As we get later into the season-often terminal fisheries require the use of Herring or Anchovies to be successful. For us out of Vancouver-once the Pinks F off, Anchovies will be the bait of
Choice for late returning Chinooks off the Fraser and Cap.

I paid $17.99 per pack for my preferred size of Anchovies recently.

The real loser of the game here is the retailer. Hooks-Leader-Teaser sales are going to take a severe beating.

The popular disposable spoons will prevail and Tackle Manufacturers will love this. The fish readily bite on spoons when they first show up and are suspended.

This is the type of thing which leads us to show up at the winter charity herring sale with 5 gallon pails and fill them up and prep bait for the season.

As a guide/charter operator perspective-we use more bait and teasers and hooks than anybody. We’ll take the out and swap to tackle because it’s not sustainable spending $25-$40 per day on bait. Margins just aren’t big enough with the price of fuel and guide wages. The end loser is the guest.

This is a nobody wins scenario. Sad. The end game is- everyone loses.

Most of the big springs came in on herring smalls stuffed into teaser heads today. Hootchies lost. Still fished, just didn't win the most meat on deck award.

Why can't we get cheap herring? The fishery seems to have improved in BC. I mean before Chovies we all fished Herring Strip. That was the standard at least in Sooke and area in the 70/80's. Let's adapt....back. I'm of the same mind. Chovie prices are just too high now. I love bait but am using spoons more that I did in the past.

Watched a video where a guy used a herring rake to get his own bait
Wouldn’t be efficient for charters/guides
But wouldn’t there be room for a bait boat and get fresh bait ?
Big bucks to buy frozen wouldn’t fresh be better
What are the rules for catching bait

you can rake your own herring. guys used to do it all the time back in the day. rake what you need for the day and start cut plugging them.

or in our case, feed the cod, go home salmon skunked and grab breakfast at that greasy spoon diner across the road from Ken Fordes launch…

man i need a time machine

i was just down in Bellingham and Burlington today and anchovies were at one store 8.19 and as high as 10.29 a pack still cheaper than here with exchange

Back