Anchovies and Teasers

jsam

Ok so I asked these questions in a previous thread... but I wanted to put them out there to all you bait gurus:

So clearly I need a little assistance to help change my gameplan (I've always been a cutplug/motor-mooching kinda guy)... I've got some pretty basic questions to you anchovy guys out there.
Do you replace the factory hook that often comes with the teaserhead (or buy a teaserhead with no factory hook)? How do you all feel about the Rhys Davis Bulletroll Specials (w/predrilled wire holes)? 1 or 2 hooks (trailer hook vs not)? If you're replacing that factory hook, what is the hook of choice (owners vs gamis? what size treble w/ what size trailer?)? Can I tie the same knot on a treble that I tie on my leaders (http://www.grandslambucktails.com/tying_leaders.htm?)

Thanks!
JSAM

From my basic knowledge, most guys will buy the teaser heads separately and tie their own setups. Now asking what hooks they use is gonna get you a bunch of different answers as was shown in a post earlier this year. The three most common setups are one single treble hook, single treble with a 3/0 or 4/0 gammy stinger hook or a double treble set up. Each will work, it just seems to be a matter of personal preference. Although I would say a treble with a single stinger was the most popular with the single treble in second place. The size of treble can depend on the size of the anchovie you are using, however a size 2 to size 4 would work in most cases. I tend to like the smaller of the two for my setups on a 5 1/4" anchovie.

I have ran the bullett roll teaser heads and they do give a tight roll without the need for the wire. However I only ran it once and it was a pretty quiet day on the water for everything. And the way the knot is tied in the link you gave can be tied on the treble hook. I have all my setups like that and it seems to do the trick with a single treble and stinger setup.

Again my knowledge is pretty basic but I have read a lot on these forums and got some advice from people I fish with so I do know a little. I still feel a little more confident in spoons and hootchies because its pretty tough to screw those up and they fish well on their own. However, I am going on a 5 day trip in a week and a half up north where anchovies are king so I need a few more practice runs myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost always buy anchovie heads bulk and tie my own. Sometimes only use a single treble hook, size 2, and some times two smaller trebles, size 6. I always wrap my hooks, and not tie them using the normal knots. Hope this helps a bit..............BB

I always buy my anchovie head holders in bulk also,I always tie my own rigs because alot of times you get crappy knots and always check the eyes of the hooks alot of times they are not closed all the way so you need to close them with your pliers.What happens is the line will taouch the open eye or the part of the hook where the machine cut the wire at the factory and it will "nick" the leader you think all is well until something big grabs on and by by fish,so always close the eyes of the hooks as for the type of hooks I use are 2x strong or 3 x strong tried different makes and it really is up to the individual.Just make sure you have one with a thick wire guage because when you do hook a fish of a lifetime or the grand pooba you dont want him straightening the hook out,I know everyone has seen this before!!!!! You think damn that was a big boy!!!! so male sure your knots are strong and your eyes are closed all the way this will increase your chances of landing the lunker.Also always sharpen your hooks with a file the stones work but take to long,files are cheap and very effective.Just because hooks are new out of the package doesnt mean there sharp test them by sticking them into your thumb nail if they slide off your nail In my oppinion there not ready to be fished...Also a great idea to check them every hour or so often because believe it or not trolling them around dulls them...

Tight lines
Billydoo

Alot of good advice here. To add, after years of doing this I go with the best set ups whether fishing for little coho or monster springs. I always use barbless gamys for two reasons. They are by far the best hook on the market, and will never straighten, as well as you don't compromise the integrity of the hook while crimping barbs. As far as teaser heads they are mostly the same. Some guys believe bait with a huge wobble will get you more fish, but from my experience with charters, most run a tight slow roll. To attain this, you run a 2/0 treble in smaller bait right behind the dorsal fin just above the baits center line. For larger bait most guilds run 1/0 hooks, as a deeper penetration is more important than 2/3 barbs in a fishes mouth.

Finally to get the perfect roll is a matter of technique and fiddling. When you get good at it then it's second nature but to start simply run a tooth pick inside the baits gills along the inside of the body while holding the bait with an extremely slight bend. Then pull tension in the line till there is no slack between the teaser head and the bait. Make sure you have previously inserted you toothpick in the small hole where your line entered the teaser head to retain tension. Also make sure the baits head isn't bent!

Test your roll and if you screw it up toss the bait and start over. Be careful to run the downrigger down to depth slowly or you will change the roll of the bait. There is a ton more to learn but that's the basics. Remember going with or against the tide will effect your roll dramatically so be sure to use more bend if you travel with the tide to keep your roll going. And check your bait every 10 minutes or at least change depth. I get most strikes just after changing depth due to
The fact that you cover water vertically as well as horizontally.

As far as knots, do the same as you would with any guillotine knot for tying tandoms and you will never ever lose a fish due to knots. It's the one you wrap 8-10 time around the shaft of the hook and a toothpick, then run your line up beside the toothpick and back through the eye of the hook.

Good luck out there and hopefully rhy's Davis sponsors my bait after this haha.

Mike

I buy bulk heads and tie my own. For the most part I buy green/gold heads I use 40lbs floral carbon and single Gammy 2/0 trebble. I also use some stainless wire from the tig welder and add it to the head. I then run the wire in the anchovy and control the roll how ever I like. I'm no pro but since I started adding the stainless wire to my rigs it make fishing bait way easier and no more toothpicks for me.

I always use barbless gamys for two reasons. They are by far the best hook on the market, and will never straighten, as well as you don't compromise the integrity of the hook while crimping barbs.

Ever tried Owner hooks? Laser sharpened chisel point trebles are my personal favorite. Have a couple that have two years of use and are still deadly sharp. the chisel point also gives that little extra hold. #1 for 4-5.5 inch, and 1/0 for 6inch or bigger bait. I ALWAYS tie my own, as factory knot failure is not uncommon.
I was told by an employee that a Rhys davis knot gets tied in six seconds or less, which tells me quantity over quality, and I have been stung enough over sloppy knots to be anal about them.

Trusting someone else's leader knots is like trusting someone else to tie up your boat. There are enough other ways to loose fish without adding another one.

Active tackle in Vancouver ties custom leaders to order for lodges and those guides that would rather be doing something else when they are not fishing - like catching up on sleep! lol

I've always tied my own leaders because I trust only myself to do it.
Jim, Sushihunter has used Active 's custom leaders ......Jim , what did you think ? Cost ?

Ever tried Owner hooks? Laser sharpened chisel point trebles are my personal favorite. Have a couple that have two years of use and are still deadly sharp. the chisel point also gives that little extra hold. #1 for 4-5.5 inch, and 1/0 for 6inch or bigger bait. I ALWAYS tie my own, as factory knot failure is not uncommon.
I was told by an employee that a Rhys davis knot gets tied in six seconds or less, which tells me quantity over quality, and I have been stung enough over sloppy knots to be anal about them.

do you mean the "Cutting point" treble or the Needle point treble? looked for "Chisel" point trebles and could not find any. The Owners are really nice hooks.
So are the Mustad 36329BLN trebles but it seems to be you can only find those is a 5pk.x strong black nickel, very nice and sharp. Lots of first rate trebles out there for teaser heads so look around at your favorite shop.

maruto chisel points.. awesome hooks. IMO

I like the VMCs.
They last forever, can be sharpened up in a few seconds, and sent down again and again.

If targeting springs, go to a single treble; every spring I've gotten on Anchovie has the treble buried deep.
If Coho, use a stinger. They seem to hit the back 1/2 of the bait more often.

What type of leader material do people prefer, and what strength? also how far back do you tie a stinger hook on an anchovie, right to the end of the tail, or farther back?

What type of leader material do people prefer, and what strength? also how far back do you tie a stinger hook on an anchovie, right to the end of the tail, or farther back?
I don't use stingers anymore but when I did I would never put the stinger farther than the fork of the tail. Stingers in my opinion are a pain in the butt and there are a few things to think on when using-Very often they will break off in the net, No matter what anyone says there is more steel in the water flailing around which could spoil your bait action, That trailing hook can and does remove scales. The final thing for me is I don't recall any large salmon (over 30) that I have ever taken with just the stinger and I've seriously fished salmon for over 40 years. Single trble/ 30 to 40lb maxima, brined or very fresh good quality anchovy/herring-minimal handling, good quality head (kripple K for me) max attention to the roll, Slightest twitch on the rod-check it. Most large salmon taking anchovy with a no 2 barbless treble will be under the tongue and difficult to release-if you plan to release switch to a single.

Use 40lbs (maxima ultra green, or whatever brand you prefer) if you are using an inline flasher so you transfer more of the motion of the flasher to the bait, but 30lbs if you are planning on running it without a flasher. A single treble (VMC #1 or 1/o) is the most user friendly way to run your chovies as you can simply cut a couple inches off after landing the fish, re-tie, and start fishing again, without changing the leader length very much. Adding the stinger can cause the line of the stinger hook to be pinched in the crease of the treble which decreases the breaking strength of the line, and it can happen during the fight while the fish rolls and head shakes. In my experience running two singles in a close tandem provides just as many hook ups and a nice roll than the treble, but if there are a lot of fish around this means changing leaders a lot, so the treble is simpler.

I watched West Coast Sporting Journal a few weeks back, Mark Pendlington was fishing Port Hardy with Wayne Dayley of Bear Cove Cottages. They showed Wayne tying his bait heads with treble and stinger, looked like he ran his past the tail. I believe he's on the forum and maybe he could share his experience with using stingers or you could pm him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always tie my own. Leaders are pre-tied ready to go in baggies. That way I can put on the particular head that is working best, rather than have to look for a leader tied with the right coloured head. Bullet roll teasers work sweet. I like to use the stinger hook. Call me old school, but there are plenty of times that is the only hook holding. I do agree the stinger can be a pain catching in the net, or the leader itself getting caught up in the hook bend on the trebble. But, that extra hook sometimes is the ticket. No issues getting a good tight roll. A lot has to do with the actual shape of the bait. Some roll great, others not at all. If they don't roll after a few tweaks I chuck them. One other little trick, I use tooth picks to help keep the proper bend in the bait. At one time I used stainless wire, but one of my DFO friends mentioned the hatchery guys on occasion find wire in the fish...so, no more wire for me. The biggest trick is getting great bait.

Back