Anchoring a Prawn Set

High Time

Crew Member
Greetings,first time newby here. Need some advice on the best type and weight of anchor for setting a two trap line in a rocky area with heavy current, 300 ft. plus or minus. Last Fall I managed to lose a rig by not having any weight in my traps and using a 10 lb. mushroom anchor and obviously too small a marker buoy. This time around I'm thinking 10 lbs of lead in each trap plus a medium size scotchman, 500+ feet of line and an anchor ahead of the traps. Wondering what type of anchor would work best on a rocky bottom?? and how big/heavy. I have a Scotty line puller. Learning the hard way.... any advice appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think 10 lbs per trap way overkill. I use about a 3 lb weight, but one 5 lb weight in front of the first trap is probably safer. I don't think you really need to put any lead in the trap, though others may disagree on that. I don't bother to drop the traps on a huge tide though, I find it's a hassle. A small or medium scotchman is adequate, go too big and it's extra drag and more likely to float your traps off bottom in a good flow. I think I have 600' of line with the last 100 being lead core. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

I'd stay away from the strong current areas - prawns will stay away from traps that are moving around and the current may carry your traps away again. We use 2-3# of lead tied in the bottom of our Bauer traps just to ensure they land right side up. Tying in a short length of heavy chain would work just as well. We string 2 traps about 50 feet apart on lead line with lots of slack between the bottom and the Scotchman. I suppose if you're using poly rope you may want some weight ahead of the traps but we've never needed that with the lead line. Certainly never needed an actual anchor or 10# of lead.

Yup.. That kinda weight,,yer fishn in the wrong spot. And dont use floating line.. 400' of that stuff can lift alot in a current.. 100' of lead ground line. 2 commy traps, 50' apart 5lb piece of scrap cast iron. 350' of rode . Large float!! Never lost traps set up this way.. Lay them
out so that it looks like 4 traps on a two float system. Mmm bugs

Thanks for the input. For better or worse the spot I need to fish is loaded with prawns,the commercial guys pound it for 6 weeks straight when it opens. I just need to keep my rig in one spot until the current slacks.Thanks for the tip of using chain as a weight. I think a round of galvanized chain of the right weight around the base of my Ladner pots is a great idea. Easy to fasten,evenly distributed...Still think I need a decent weight to anchor the rode and not drag

railroad iron makes the best anchor if you can get it. Cut into 12" lengths and tied at the end of the set. A couple pounds on the bottom of each trap keeps them from moving and using as small of a diameter line as you can reduces drag considerably. We use 1/4 inch blue nylon and have never lost traps to a broken line. Have found that a bright yellow laundry detergent bottle makes a decent float and dosen't drag the same way the medium scotchmen does but its a fine line between to much drag and getting pulled under, neither of which are a winner. Also keep in mind getting the traps back up. Most people using the electric haulers will find theirs a weight limit and this is reduced by the deeper depths. Those of us with hydraulic tug winches don't have to worry:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nick. Interesting idea using a piece of iron railroad rail. Assume you would have to weld an eye at one end?? or drill it to attach. What would 12" weigh?

I wouldn't use a 12 " piece of railroad iron unless you had a hydraulic puller, I use a clip on 5 lb weight in front of my last trap works fine, my traps are both 24" inch bauers and when full the Ace is definitely working to bring them up :p

From my scotchman I have about 100 ft of leaded line followed by 300 ft floating line then anchor #1 (10lbs of chain) then 25 ft floating line then trap #1 then 50 ft floating line then trap #2 then 25 feet floating line then anchor #2 (5 lbs of chain). This set up works well for me in fairly fast moving water. The Ace struggles for sure however.

Back