Anchor Rope for Halibut Anchor

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
hey Guy's

I am looking to put together a halibut anchor for this years north island trip. Since I don't have plans to use this setup more than few times a year I don't want to spend a huge amount of money. My first task is to find a suitable rope. I have a gift card for Amazon.com and was looking there and found this rope

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L...pe+1/2+600&dpPl=1&dpID=51VkBPTNvCL&ref=plSrch

What do think suitable for a 20ft trophy?

hey Guy's

I am looking to put together a halibut anchor for this years north island trip. Since I don't have plans to use this setup more than few times a year I don't want to spend a huge amount of money. My first task is to find a suitable rope. I have a gift card for Amazon.com and was looking there and found this rope

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00L...pe+1/2+600&dpPl=1&dpID=51VkBPTNvCL&ref=plSrch

What do think suitable for a 20ft trophy?
5/16 rope is good, but I would get 500' minimum

3/8" braided nylon is the best choice. Get a 600 feet. A 400' and 200' would be good. Join them when in over 300'. Twisted rope can hockle under pressure. 5/16 is hard on the hands,
Just my opinion, based on experience.
Stosh

3/8" minimum is my advice also. I like stosh's advice and can't say much more than he did. that 1/2" you are looking at will work also, but for a 20' boat 3/8" will be fine. I use 1/2" (600') and my boat's over 30' (33') if you take the swim grid in to account...myself, I like the poly 3 strand twisted ropes. learn how to splice it. it's not that hard once you've done it a couple times...

Polypropylene twisted rope isn't as strong as nylon, and does not stretch. Good idea to use nylon rope since it stretches so it will absorb some shock when used for anchoring. Nylon also sinks. Poly floats. 3 strand poly is much easier to splice than braided nylon, but isn't my choice as an anchor line.
My 2 cents

I use nylon on my anchor drum on the bow of the boat. and (blue) poly for halibut anchor. the rope I got was purchased from this guy. very reasonable pricing. fun finding the guy though as it isn't a normal looking storefront. he has a bunch of containers on his property loaded with different ropes.
It would prob be better to use nylon for my halibut line like Stosh mentioned. but the poly has been working OK so far.... prob change it out sometime in the future.

http://www.minkeventures.com/

Last edited:
I have a 24' boat and I bought a 600' double braided rope a few years ago. It works great but it's a little overkill IMO, way to heavy retrieving and coiling after pulling the anchor. If I had my time back I would have went with the 3/8".

I use nylon on my anchor drum on the bow of the boat. and (blue) poly for halibut anchor. the rope I got was purchased from this guy. very reasonable pricing. fun finding the guy though as it isn't a normal looking storefront. he has a bunch of containers on his property loaded with different ropes.

http://www.minkeventures.com/

Called him for a price on 3/8" as I am looking for anchor line. Only sells in 600' rolls but was half the price from a marine supplier. 262.00 / 600' double nylon.

I prefer a floating poly for its easier to recover once the anchor is to the scotsman.

Thanks for all the input guys. Another question I have is the anchor size. Do you have one sized for the boat or did you over size?

I have a 7.5KG for my main boat anchor but my hali anchor is 11KG. I've used the 7.5KG for hali but found it can sometimes drag in the mud (gravel) when the tide starts to run. boat is a bit over 30'LOA. smaller boat would prob be fine with 7.5KG.
I use bruce style galvanized claw anchors... there are better (and more expensive) anchors out there though.

Has anyone been using the amsteel line?

For example the 3/16" for low drag purposes while anchoring for hali.

I've used polysteel rope for years, you just have to check the splices and knots every once in a while. And length of chain is just as important as anchor weight. I use an 11kg anchor with 30' of 5/16 (I think) chain for a 24' boat with no problems.

Hambone, I like your thinking on the drag, but I find I have more issues with my 60lb braid than I do with my anchor line.

ive got a 20 ft boat.

i use a 5kg/11lb claw, 90 ft of 1/4" chain, and 600ft of 1/2" poly steel. (floating 3 strand) always had great solid sets

after several seasons of use, i think ill shorten the 600ft to 450-500ft. always seems to be more then we need (usually aim for 250ft depth_)

I've used polysteel rope for years, you just have to check the splices and knots every once in a while. And length of chain is just as important as anchor weight. I use an 11kg anchor with 30' of 5/16 (I think) chain for a 24' boat with no problems.

Hambone, I like your thinking on the drag, but I find I have more issues with my 60lb braid than I do with my anchor line.

It's not really my thinking, people are doing it already and I want to know if it's worth it. Amsteel line isn't cheap ;)

Polysteel and Amsteel are two completely different beasts. I've made well over 100 anchor systems with Polysteel, tested by a fair number of guides.. No problems with it.. It's cheap, light, doesn't absorb water (no rot, bad smells), easy to splice. The only advantage I see to Amsteel is low diameter, making for more compact storage. Stretch when choosing a halibut anchor line is not so much a factor, as the hinge created by your Scotsman buoy and tether become the shock absorber.

Last edited:
Polysteel and Amsteel are two completely different beasts. I've made well over 100 anchor systems with Polysteel, tested by a fair number of guides.. No problems with it.. It's cheap, light, doesn't absorb water (no rot, bad smells), easy to splice. The only advantage I see to Amsteel is low diameter, making for more compact storage. Stretch when choosing a halibut anchor line is not so much a factor, as the hinge created by your Scotsman buoy and tether become the shock absorber.

Yup, those are all true points. One of my anchors is the double braid nylon and I like how it falls into its bucket versus polysteel that isn't as flexible (amsteel would definitely store more compactly). But I didn't have to buy that double braid. I've only used amsteel for trawling but I'm sure it'd work fine for anchoring, but I doubt the extra money is worth it to cut down on drag and space. I usually have more issue with keeping my halibut gear on the bottom when the current picks up than I do with keeping my boat anchored.

I have a 21 ft sea swirl and have used 500 ft of3/8 lead line with 30 ft 3/8 chain and a 12 lb anchor for 5 years no issues fairly cheep and easy to splice eyes on the ends. Tough as well been hung up a couple of times got it all back just a little bent. It coils up good in a fish tub. Gone as deep as 360 ft with no issue of drifting.

Back