Anchor choices Danforth or Bruce

Reeltime

I wanna do some anchoring in some sandy/rocky area's what anchor would you guys suggest i use
for a 16' cc and the lightest i can go between the Bruce or a Danforth or is there another model i
should be using, i just want one that's going to break away easy if it gets jammed in rocks ... cheers!

I wanna do some anchoring in some sandy/rocky area's what anchor would you guys suggest i use
for a 16' cc and the lightest i can go between the Bruce or a Danforth or is there another model i
should be using, i just want one that's going to break away easy if it gets jammed in rocks ... cheers!
Use that zip tie method if you're worried about breaking away from rocks. Came in handy on a rental boat in Italy for me. :confused:

for sure i would use that method, probably use the weakest zip tie, just deciding on the difference between the 2 anchors
Just go with the danforth. Lighter, easier to store. I'd say it's the standard for what you're trying to do. Now just tell me where you're trying to do it.

The West Marine catalogue has a good article on the testing they did on anchors. You could probably find it on line.
I had a Bruce on my sailboat back then & was disappointed to read that the Danforth outperformed the Bruce in some bottom conditions. IIRC, the danforth was equal or better in most cases.

Last edited:
Well Dan Forth it is, RC ya i like the light weight for re setting in different area's quick, Rocna is pretty fancy higher end looking bit to much weight
for moving around.. I'm sure you will see me on the hook casting for salmon rc... ;)
I have a Rocna and would recommend it to anyone with a bigger boat that's planning on overnighting. But yah I'm assuming you won't be casting in 30 mph winds. Biggest and baddest isn't always the right answer... just most of the time.

For overall boating/anchoring and various bottom types I would agree with using a Danforth, but for halibut fishing I like the Bruce better, Usually takes hold the first drop using the zap strap method.

Never had any issues getting a set with my Danforth on a 22 tin boat. That said I used to have a "knock off" Danforth and it sucked. Very hard to get a hook specially halibut fishing in Vic. One time it folded like a cheap lawnchair while retrieving and i said enough was enough. Then a friend gave me a real Danforth, they are all cast instead of bent sheet metal. their tooth "bite" is more symmetrical, a really awesome anchor. I was going to buy a Bruce but gave it a try and never looked back. I don't use the zap strap if I am anchoring overnight but always when Halibut fishing for just that little extra factor of safety. I use the huge zip ties and they almost never break unless there is a situation in which case you are glad it did. Only broke 2 in 5 years of hali anchoring, once because of a "too stuck" situation and once because I had not replaced it in two years and it got crispy. It was actually still stuck to the anchor stem hole so I never even lost it for more plastic pollution. If you are concerned about plastic pollution (which you should be) use a second strap to strap the strap to the anchor stem.

I started with a small danforth and liked it. Good holding power for the size in sandy bottoms didn’t like to set all the time if it got into “rocky beach” terrain. Switched to a claw/Bruce for halibut anchor and it was way better. Set every tine first time. Didn’t get problems with tangled danforth a when your dumping chain on top of it. Doesn’t get stuck when retrieving with the zap strap setup
But it does not lay flat like a danforth but the Bruce doesn’t have the round bar “t” part. On top like a danforth

I say if you spend money on an anchor and have to "modify" it in any way there's something WRONG with the anchor or what you are using it for. Zip ties, drilling holes and making it work sounds unsafe and WHY. Buy a slip ring Danforth, use as designed, drop on ANY bottom without worry, hooks well, cheap and available in many places. ONLY anchor I have used in any place in BC including no losses in JDF for 40 years (model #13 for my DE's) and I have not wasted one zip tie.

HM

For overall boating/anchoring and various bottom types I would agree with using a Danforth, but for halibut fishing I like the Bruce better, Usually takes hold the first drop using the zap strap method.

Agree. I run a Bruce/zap strap. Then again when I anchor I am fishing south JDF with stronger current etc.

If you can do it carry both. Danforth is great for emergency anchor.

Back