An inconvenient truth about the Fraser River . By Otto Langer

Thanks OBD, that was a good read. I worked with Otto on the Nass River many years ago; the man knows his stuff.

It is entirely possible that Alaska and their federal salmon counterparts are doing a better job of protecting and managing salmon than our BC and federal DFO and ECCC are doing on Canada’s West Coast. For instance, Alaska never allowed fish farms in their waters. DFO Ottawa and the B .C. government approved Atlantic salmon fish farms in B.C. as long as it could be done "safely". That was like telling your kids to go swimming - but do not get wet! In a bad assumption of legal mandates, B.C. felt they were the managers of fish farming and did their best to promote fish farms at almost any location. Again political decisions favored what was a myopic initiative to “grow the economy” without giving the value and survival of the natural environment the importance it deserves.

It is entirely possible that Alaska and their federal salmon counterparts are doing a better job of protecting and managing salmon than our BC and federal DFO and ECCC are doing on Canada’s West Coast. For instance, Alaska never allowed fish farms in their waters. DFO Ottawa and the B .C. government approved Atlantic salmon fish farms in B.C. as long as it could be done "safely". That was like telling your kids to go swimming - but do not get wet! In a bad assumption of legal mandates, B.C. felt they were the managers of fish farming and did their best to promote fish farms at almost any location. Again political decisions favored what was a myopic initiative to “grow the economy” without giving the value and survival of the natural environment the importance it deserves.
ah terrin, you're so predictable! Did you miss the part about climate change, warming water and a general decrease in salmon numbers the further south you go?

"Next to no industry exists in the Bristol Bay"

There is your problem:

In B.C.the province owns 94 percent of BC lands and governs business,land and water use and waste management whereas fish and habitat protection is a federal DFO responsibility. It is the management of business, land,water and waste management (a B.C.mandate)that most affects salmon and their habitat.

So what your saying is youd be happy to ranch billions of salmon, as Alaska does, then open the nets and let them compete in the open ocean wild population of salmon

Human population on the Fraser Watershed, 3 Million.
Human population on Bristol Bay Watershed, 7 thousand,5 hundred.

I answered this question but you never liked the answer last year, DFO provided an answer to this of which i shared. Like Dave has said, to you the answer is fish farms and nothing will change your mind.

I answered this question but you never liked the answer last year, DFO provided an answer to this of which i shared. Like Dave has said, to you the answer is fish farms and nothing will change your mind.
Well i guess we will hopefully find out if they finally remove the Fish Farms out of the Ocean particularly the migration coridors. It's interesting to note that in the early 1990's they were already discussing decadal climate shifts in the Ocean and predation as a risk factor as well as disease but that was before the effects of Fish Farms came into play. "A variety of factors, both natural and human-induced, affect the degree of risk facing salmonid populations. Because of time-lags in these effects and variability in populations, recent changes in any of these factors may affect current risk without any apparent change in available population statistics. Thus, consideration of these effects must go beyond examination of recent abundance and trends. However, forecasting future effects is rarely straightforward and usually involves qualitative evaluations based on informed professional judgement. Events affecting populations may include natural changes in the environment or human-induced changes, either beneficial or detrimental. Possible future effects of recent or proposed conservation measures have not been taken into account in this analysis, but we have considered documented changes in the natural environment. A key question regarding the role of recent events is: Given our uncertainty regarding the future, how do we evaluate the risk that a population may not persist? For example, climate conditions are known to have changed recently in the Pacific Northwest, and Pacific salmon stocks south of British Columbia have been affected by changes in ocean production that occurred during the 1970s (Pearcy 1992, Lawson 1993). There is mounting evidence that salmon populations are influenced by decadal-scale shifts in climate patterns; such effects were discussed at a recent workshop sponsored by NMFS and Oregon State University (Emmett and Schiewe 1997). Beamish et al. (1997) have related production of Fraser River sockeye salmon to decadal-scale shifts in ocean productivity. Much of the Pacific coast has also been experiencing drought conditions in recent years, which may depress freshwater production. However, at this time we do not know whether these climate conditions represent a long-term change that will continue to affect stocks in the future or whether these changes are short-term environmental fluctuations that can be expected to be reversed in the near future. 134 Other Risk Factors Other risk factors typically considered for salmonid populations include disease prevalence, predation, and changes in life history characteristics such as spawning age or size."

So what your saying is youd be happy to ranch billions of salmon, as Alaska does, then open the nets and let them compete in the open ocean wild population of salmon
it’s not what I’m saying it’s a quote from Otto Lang’s report but whatever. Why Alaska’s Bristol Bay Rivers Produce More Sockeye Salmon than the Fraser River

Study, blame, spin, dodge, blame some more, spin some more, delay. Have an election or two, repeat the previous 20 years worth of excuses. Same old, same old.

Thanks OBD for posting the link to Langer's excellent paper. I think it hits the nail squarely and makes it clear why it's a tough haul to save what is left of the Fraser River salmon fishery. Too much to lose for so many people.

It actually raises nothing that has not been known since the 1990s
I think we've started to see what the negative payback will be from what's been ignored, and I don't mean by DFO, for 25 to 30 years.

BC has been so intent on development in the heart of salmon reproductive and rearing areas I think the Feds and DFO have just ignored what's happening, after all if the Province is not on board, there is nothing they can do without provoking a constitutional crisis.

Back