An idea on measuring a halibut quickly along side the boat.

kronic_fisherguy

Tie a length of flourescent flagging tape longer than 126 cm to a large enough quick change swivel.Lay the setup on the floor and measure off 126 cms and cut it to length.When the fish is along side snap the swivel over the leader above the hook and it should slide down to the Halis mouth. The tape should flow back along the halis lenght in the water and give you a good reference to judge. Just an idea.
kronic

could you please film this.. i would like a compilation of halibut measuring techniques used in the field.

tips- have a quick disconnect for the two pound ball, remove that first!!
always wear a pair of glasses so if a hook comes loose or the spreader bar comes rapidly at your face your eyes are protected
use 200 lb leader so you can grab the leader to help control the fish while the person with the rod gives you a lil slack. do not wrap the leader around your wrist.
use a loop drawn tight around the tail or wrist of the hali beast. this might help control the fish while you carefully measure.

Put two marks at the waterline - one for 126 and the other for 83. Pull the Hali alongside and get a quick check. If he's close your call on what to do. In the boat or cut the line.

To expect to get an exact measurement I.e 125cm vs 127cm in the water is next to impossible.

Tail the sucker hold one hand under white side it calms them down measure take picture throw back. I just need my crew to learn how to do this Im to old lol

I will post video, LOL One week Boy's

Shoot it in the head, pull it into the boat, measure. If under, you're golden, if over, creative filleting. DFO and their ******** regs.

guess you can make a dowel by cutting the shaft off your harpoon @ 126cm, as it won't be needed anymore.

All I did is put a few wraps of electrical tape at 126cm's on my Peetz harpoon handle. I figure I'll lasso the tail first,then
hold the handle on top of the fish for a quick measurement. First trip in a couple of weeks,so I'll let you all know how it
works!

I'm going to mark the measurement on my boat hook and use that as a guide. If it's close, the fish is mine.

I am liking the mobile object thus far. The marks on the side of the boat have merit but the fish is always moving. A mobile object like a an old harpoon handle or boat hook seems more reasonable. I'm going to make up an aluminum large scale crab checker called the halibut checker lol. Basically 1/2" aluminum round bar with the two ends bend down with a handle in the middle. The handle will be quite tall so you don't have to reach that far over the side. That is what I am going to to do. If anyone wants one PM me (I will sell them at cost). I might as well make up a ***** load of them all at one time to save on cost.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to draw measuments on a piece of surigical tubing!! My slot sizes are always bang on!! On the serious side, I will also shoot it in the head.....lol no. I am going to buy quota and not have to worry!!!! wait, no no no. OK, mark on side of boat, questionable ones get lifted by the circle hook by the gaff(comercial style) to the bottom mark to big or too small...........twist and gone....
gonna take some gettin used to the circles for me tho. oh well

Sculpin

PM sent

I am liking the mobile object thus far. The marks on the side of the boat have merit but the fish is always moving. A mobile object like a an old harpoon handle or boat hook seems more reasonable. I'm going to make up an aluminum large scale crab checker called the halibut checker lol. Basically 1/2" aluminum round bar with the two ends bend down with a handle in the middle. The handle will be quite tall so you don't have to reach that far over the side. That is what I am going to to do. If anyone wants one PM me (I will sell them at cost). I might as well make up a ***** load of them all at one time to save on cost.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Sculpin

PM sent

Thanks. I got the idea from a buddy the night before I posted it. Just trying to help out with a suggestion was all. Not a business proposition at all. I'll make up a few of them. You can always tape some pool noodle material to them as well to keep them floating. Probably a good idea so you don't loose it overboard. I'm not looking to make any profit from them just trying to help.

I'm going to snap two chalk lines on the water's surface at my favourite gps spot, then when I hook a decent one I'll drag it around looking for my marks so I can measure it. Come to think of it, I usually fish solo so I'm not keen on leaning over the gunnel, so I'll probably yard it in the boat via the heavy white gangen leader, jump on it, put its lip against a flat surface and see if the tail falls short of the pre-measured line I make on the deck. All in all, it'll be just one more way to mess up and lose anything bigger than a chicken, like always.
Okay, I confess to Maui ma tai posting. Aloha.

It may not be that important to measure. Years ago I read a ‘Brief History of Time’ by Steven Hawking. One of the things I recall is that as you approach the speed of light not only does time begin to slow down but objects also become shorter in length. So if we pull in a Halibut that is a bit over size, all we have to do is get going really really fast and it should shrink to fit slot. That will of course take some serious outboards. For that matter, at that speed DFO won’t be able catch you and when you get back to dock you will be younger than everyone else who will have aged normally. Sounds good all around.

Here is a careful measurement in progress! Halibut rodeo.Funny thing is this is what is going to happen!And somebody will get hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88XrB4XbXII

Interesting video - I thought he was going to gaff himself and become a Darwin Award finalist.

Get out the tape measure. If its over I guess he will be putting a bandaid on it and holding it by the tail to revive it before gently releasing.

Back