Ampmeter Challenged.....

Seafever

Is it possible to read the amps off a 12volt boat battery with this meter?
Or do I need something more powerful?

It reads the battery voltage fine....but I want to see how many amps it has.

When I tried connecting it up for amps I got a big spark at the terminal.

Lost my manual for this meter...

Attachments

• meter012 001.jpg
    meter012 001.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 56
Thanks on that, sir.......so if I was testing amp draw for a fishfinder (finder was acting up....was told by a guy down at H.C. that I should check amps going to finder. I checked volatge to finder and it is all A-OK) what setting would I use and which sockets on the meter should I plug into?
I don't think a fishfinder will draw much amps.....but anyhow.....

Best way to check for amps on a circuit like that is with a test light.
If the bulb is bright, it's good, if not you have a problem.
You could also run a temp wire to your FF and see if that fixes your problem.
Check the fuses for corrosion on the ends as it will test fine but give you a problem.

GLG

lol???

With the meter you have , the proper way to check the amperage , is to have the dial on 10 A , pretty sure on that meter , you will use the , bottom com, and top connection ( sockets |) for " Amps "
connect one meter lead to the positive wire of the fish finder , then the other meter lead to the positive to the battery , have someone turn the power on the unit , the meter will indicate how much current the finder draws , the meter has built in protection usually , but have a fuse in place as a pre caution,

what you did by putting the meter across the battery when in the " amp" setting , is a called a dead short lol , dont do that : )

you only do that in the " Voltage " setting , carefull ( amps = series - voltage = parallel )

gd lk

FD ( electrician )

Last edited by a moderator:
Roger that, guys........I'm a complete rube at electrical.....can't even put a battery in a watch without effing it up.....

Cheers.....

Thanks FD .. missed that his tester had an amp check on that thing.

My comment on check the fuse was for the fish finder.
I have run across a few fish finders that have had issues with the fuses.
Mostly the ones with the glass barrel type fuse.
They seem to get corrosion on the ends where they contact the fuse holder.
You can test for conductivity (ohms) and the fuse checks out good.
But the corrosion will not allow enough power to get to the FF.
You still get the 12 volts on the meter but not enough amps to run the FF properly.
If you see corrosion on the fuse, clean the ends with emory cloth or scotch brite.
The fuse holder can be cleaned by pushing the wire out and cleaning the contacts.
If after doing all that and you still have problems, then you need to trace your wire and change out the connectors.
I also like to change out those glass barrel fuses for the blade fuses.
Less problems with them as some of the Lowrance equipment (fuse holder) are junk.

GLG

Thanks FD .. missed that his tester had an amp check on that thing.

My comment on check the fuse was for the fish finder.
I have run across a few fish finders that have had issues with the fuses.
Mostly the ones with the glass barrel type fuse.
They seem to get corrosion on the ends where they contact the fuse holder.
You can test for conductivity (ohms) and the fuse checks out good.
But the corrosion will not allow enough power to get to the FF.
You still get the 12 volts on the meter but not enough amps to run the FF properly.
If you see corrosion on the fuse, clean the ends with emory cloth or scotch brite.
The fuse holder can be cleaned by pushing the wire out and cleaning the contacts.
If after doing all that and you still have problems, then you need to trace your wire and change out the connectors.
I also like to change out those glass barrel fuses for the blade fuses.
Less problems with them as some of the Lowrance equipment (fuse holder) are junk.

GLG

X2

hope i didnt come across as a know it all , Electrical is one of very few thngs i dont suck at ; )

Agree , Blade fuses are WAY BETTER for marine applications , for those open type boats exposed ta the elements ,
add a little anti corrosion paste of your choice , almost bullet proof ,

if anyone here has any questions on electrical crap , drop me a pm , see if i can help ya out , ( if im not fishin : ) .......
Ive rigged a few bare hull boats from scratch , in my marine days..
getting a little tuffer with this newer techy stuff though !

FD

Last edited by a moderator:
Back