Aluminum boat builders - why have they become so greedy???

I never thought of this until a friend had said it last night, but the high interest rates have really just made it harder for the younger generation. Home ownership, and now toy ownership, have become next to impossible to attain for the 25-45 crowd. Anyone who has a mortgage in 200k-400k range isn't really feeling the pain here. Especially because you're likely sitting on 1m-3m in equity in most areas of BC. But most people my age that I know who own a house or condo bought in the last 5-10 years, have 750k-1m+ mortgages. It's likely they never should have been approved for them either. I'm paying over 60k a year in interest alone right now. The advice I received from RBC a year and a half ago was to sign onto a variable because "we'd never see 4%-5%". Well here I am at 6% on over a million. I'll spend the next few years going backwards at best. My banner years allowed me to get into a 300k boat for 100k, but I'm sure you're all sick of hearing how that turned out for me lol. More like an eventual 300k by a thousand cuts. And I'm one of the lucky ones.
Wow, now that is a pretty epic rant. I hear you, I'm 39 and also one of the "lucky" ones... I use the quotes because while I appreciate my good fortune to be where I'm at, and to be born in this part of the world etc, I also have buddies who had the same chances that I did but chose to party out their 20's, avocado-toast their way thru their 30's, and now sulk into their 40's. I rarely eat out, don't go on vacations, watch my spending tightly (except on the boat!), drive a '14 Ram when I could "afford" a new truck, etc. So I do lack a lot of the sympathy for the crowd my age, but for my kids (which I have 3 of) I don't know how they are gonna make it into the housing market. Funny point of reference ; I bought my first place in 2004, a 2-berdoom townhouse for $133k. Less than the current cost of a 20' boat, that's just crazy!

Regarding the thousand cuts, yeah that sounds like a painful ride. I realized that's what the coming years were gonna be like for me, so I elected for the 100 quick stabs of a new motor and a few more good slices for the pod/hard top. But hope that's it, I figure after the bleeding stops I'll be better off for the next bunch of years. oprah.jpg

Last edited:
Careful, you’ll offend the “I can’t afford to buy a house, but why would I move to where I can afford a house” crowd.
Wow, now that is a pretty epic rant. I hear you, I'm 39 and also one of the "lucky" ones... I use the quotes because while I appreciate my good fortune to be where I'm at, and to be born in this part of the world etc, I also have buddies who had the same chances that I did but chose to party out their 20's, avocado-toast their way thru their 30's, and now sulk into their 40's. I rarely eat out, don't go on vacations, watch my spending tightly (except on the boat!), drive a '14 Ram when I could "afford" a new truck, etc. So I do lack a lot of the sympathy for the crowd my age, but for my kids (which I have 3 of) I don't know how they are gonna make it into the housing market. Funny point of reference ; I bought my first place in 2004, a 2-berdoom townhouse for $133k. Less than the current cost of a 20' boat, that's just crazy!

Regarding the thousand cuts, yeah that sounds like a painful ride. I realized that's what the coming years were gonna be like for me, so I elected for the 100 quick stabs of a new motor and a few more good slices for the pod/hard top. But hope that's it, I figure after the bleeding stops I'll be better off for the next bunch of years. View attachment 89452

Last edited:
Prices will eventually drop in my opinion. I’ve seen the same new 21 foot $150 000 boat sitting at a dealership near me since May or June. In the industry I work in I’ve seen product prices start to drop a bit in the last few months. A product the $650 before the pandemic went up to $900 now it’s back down to $750 still more then 2019 but significantly less then when it was at its highest

Careful, you’ll offend the “I can’t afford to buy a house, but why would I move to where I can afford a house” crowd.

I deal with this often. Some will not move from BC to Alberta to get their life and home ownership in order, while living in a country built on immigration from other countries. One emotional mother was upset with me and aghast that her son might leave the province for 5-10 years to build up his life. She didn't like my idea of Sunday dinners over Zoom being just like her son was in the room.

I deal with this often. Some will not move from BC to Alberta to get their life and home ownership in order, while living in a country built on immigration from other countries. One emotional mother was upset with me and aghast that her son might leave the province for 5-10 years to build up his life. She didn't like my idea of Sunday dinners over Zoom being just like her son was in the room.
I’m sure there are many of us that had to move away from is money sw BC to find good wages and affordable housing to save up money for a down payment on property

I’m sure there are many of us that had to move away from is money sw BC to find good wages and affordable housing to save up money for a down payment on property
Some of the best years of my life were the 12 years that I lived in Prince Rupert when the whole Vancouver island was on strike because most of the jobs were IWA. No Internet or Facebook to stay in touch with family members the way you can now. I learned a skilled trade, bought my first house, the value of volunteer work, have friends from all walks of life to this day. I think more people should do it.

Some of the best years of my life were the 12 years that I lived in Prince Rupert when the whole Vancouver island was on strike because most of the jobs were IWA. No Internet or Facebook to stay in touch with family members the way you can now. I learned a skilled trade, bought my first house, the value of volunteer work, have friends from all walks of life to this day. I think more people should do it.
I moved to Edmonton and worked seismic camps in the winter driving semi and logging truck in the summers. Bought a nice car and house in Coquitlam for cash after 7 years

The crazy prices seen to apply to trailerable aluminum and even fiberglass boats.
The real deals are on used cruisers over 40 feet.
No one wants them but there are deals to be had.
Seriously thinking of going that route seeing as we are in Mexico in the winters. Saw a nice 60 footer in Powell river last summer but it sold before I could get the wife over to see it

I’m gonna chime in as I’m 38 this year and now my wife and I upgraded last year into a much larger 4 bdrm 2 bath 1800sq ft rancher mfg house after selling our first 2bdrm 2 bath mfg house as well and making 150k on the sale.

I think the pipe dream of owning a house for our age range isn’t out of reach but very skewed! Just because you see people buying single family homes doesn’t mean you need to or can afford to!

Just get into a mfg house or a mobile or apartment that will retain value and go up in value over time! (Yes mobile homes and mfg homes you don’t own the land sometimes but who cares for starting out it’s better then nothing and pissing it away in rent imo and that’s how my wife and I are doing it and already banked a lot)

Myself I’m a red seal auto tech, and work hard for everything I have and have had. It takes some sacrifices like stated above but in the end it will work out just have to jump in both feet first!

The whole wanting it now and wanting the biggest bad butt house in the Neighbourhood is pointless.

I’m gonna chime in as I’m 38 this year and now my wife and I upgraded last year into a much larger 4 bdrm 2 bath 1800sq ft rancher mfg house after selling our first 2bdrm 2 bath mfg house as well and making 150k on the sale.

I think the pipe dream of owning a house for our age range isn’t out of reach but very skewed! Just because you see people buying single family homes doesn’t mean you need to or can afford to!

Just get into a mfg house or a mobile or apartment that will retain value and go up in value over time! (Yes mobile homes and mfg homes you don’t own the land sometimes but who cares for starting out it’s better then nothing and pissing it away in rent imo and that’s how my wife and I are doing it and already banked a lot)

Myself I’m a red seal auto tech, and work hard for everything I have and have had. It takes some sacrifices like stated above but in the end it will work out just have to jump in both feet first!

The whole wanting it now and wanting the biggest bad butt house in the Neighbourhood is pointless.
how do I like this post more than once? I work very hard, save and have invested over many years to get where I am. That includes a divorce(not recommended). Like I say to my kids, we do alright and we can afford this OR that, not both.

$415,000 for a walker? only 29ft? I like Walker, beautiful builds, but that is crazy!

10.25 foot beam and 200 gallons, great package including power, pretty sick but the vberth head? Maybe I’m reading that wrong but that size I’d expect two berths and stand up head. If I was trying to make 40k commission I’d take better photos of the interior. 200 for the hull, 29x10, 100 for the power and 100k to outfit it? Seems like a good deal for the multimillionaire, if it has a nice head I missed.

Back