Aluminum boat builders - why have they become so greedy???

These prices aren't a reflection of the current money market, still ambitiously catered to the crazy demand from the COVID/CERB times. Once the inventories hit a certain level, they'll start cutting their margins. IMO, the reality of the high interest rates and the general decline in consumers appetite will be felt by early summer.

Last edited:
Shipping costs are the biggest increased variable no matter what you are selling. But a hot market with huge demand has certainly driven prices up. With interest rates at 2% for past decade everyone was a buyer. Will be interesting how long it takes these new interest rates to effect the demand. Should also be some great deals coming up on 2-3 year old boats. Some will have to sell the toys to keep roof over head.

I believe prices have almost doubled since about 2018-2019, with the majority of that increase since 2020. In 2018 my neighbour at my marina had just bought a used 2015 kingfisher 2425 for 75k. From what i remember he said a new one at that time was about 90-95k. Hes now trying to sell it for 135k. Theres another used 2018 kf 2425 up for $165k on fb. I think new they are $180-$200k now. Supply and demand, inflation and greedflation all play a role imo.

I believe prices have almost doubled since about 2018-2019, with the majority of that increase since 2020. In 2018 my neighbour at my marina had just bought a used 2015 kingfisher 2425 for 75k. From what i remember he said a new one at that time was about 90-95k. Hes now trying to sell it for 135k. Theres another used 2018 kf 2425 up for $165k on fb. I think new they are $180-$200k now. Supply and demand, inflation and greedflation all play a role imo.
Trying to sell and sold are 2 different things

These big boats are quite frankly marketed to rich people. Target is baby boomers retiring and sitting on good pile of cash. It's not the typical GENX or other younger groups.

Look at his way would you want a really big boat that just sits at marina hardly get used? Many of guys I know with some of these boats go on and on about spending weeks on them. Then they never go.

The smartest boats right now are versatile boats in the 17 and 22ft class. Easy to launch on your own and way more versatile for fishing other areas. Especially trailering.

It also seems like weird investment with fisheries as they are now.

Last edited:
These big boats are quite frankly marketed to rich people. Target is baby boomers retiring and sitting on good pile of cash. It's not the rypically GENx or other younger groups.

Look at his way would you want a really big boat that just sits at marina hardly get used? Many of guys I know with some of these boats go on and on about spending weeks on them. Then they never go.

The smartest boats right now are versatile boats in the 17 and 22ft class. Easy to launch on your own and way more versatile for fishing other areas. Especially trailering.

It also seems like weird investment with fisheries as they are now.
I think the new regs are the reason people are stepping up a class. Cruising adds a whole other reason for owning a boat. I sure wouldn't want to spend a week at Hornby in a 17 foot boat. We do 20 to 30 nights a year sleeping in our boat. Another 20 to 30 just going down there to entertain and have dinner at the dock. What's that worth? For us, living in a tiny laneway home (the East Van dream), having the boat moored as a getaway is essential.

I think that there is a group of people out there, myself included, that don’t necessarily need to fish. Being on the water for me is therapy. I couldn’t live without it.
Do who's going to break out the 20ft rubber duckie? 🤣

Back