Almost Guarantee Wind Tomorrow

S

SIR

I can almost guarantee that there is going to be unforecasted wind tomorrow on the inside Strait as I spent all afternoon preping the boat for a run up into Toba tomorrow :D

New reels, new rods, new downrigger clips, new downrigger electrical connectors and new rod holders so it's sure to be a disaster :D

Pre-rigged six black flashers with a cop cars*2, wonderbreads*2, tiger prawn hootchie and an army truck glo hootchie. The days experiment is fishing the same coyotes side by side with/without stick on eyes.

After all that setup it's sure to be windy... wish the wife had bought me that heater for Christmas :D

Off to make a sacrifice to the weather gods....

So tell me about black flasher's ???
i tend to use something bright that actually flashes..
green/glo, purple haze, etc.
what would a black flasher simulate ?

hope the wind gods are on your side ;)

Not sure what it simulates, picked it up from an old salt ex-commercial fisherman who lives in the area and still catches more fish than the rest of the bay combined. I only use them when fishing deep, my theory is that they create a void against the surface when the fish are looking up. No idea why they work but I did a tonne of experimenting with them a few years ago and they outfish everthing under 150'. Taking along a black echip to fish next to a straight black...

Dead flat out there at the moment..... fingers crossed!!

Off to check the float for squid, little suckers should show up sometime in the next few weeks.

i know when i was fishing stealhead , a black corkie above a colored one was very productive at times, more in clear lowish water, not sure of the conection but , just striked me that black seems to come up in all types of fishing, good luckys out there tommorrow[:p]

I believe that light refraction causes dark colours to show up in depths over 160 ft whereas the reds , yellows and lighter greens and pastel colours become nuetral.

AL

Step one find an old 11" OKI flasher.
Step two spray paint it with black enamel paint.
Step three smear it with herring oil.

If I'm fishing shallow in the summer I fish black on one side and reflective on the other.

Has been working for me for years, but hey I've also been know to do a circle when coming back into the harbour to shake off the bad ju-ju after getting skunked, so you've got to consider the source :D

Wooohoo 5:30 and flat as a pancake - freakin chilly, but flat as a pancake!!!

quote:Originally posted by alley cat

I believe that light refraction causes dark colours to show up in depths over 160 ft whereas the reds , yellows and lighter greens and pastel colours become nuetral.

AL
actually AL, as you go deeper all lighter colours become darker. Reds and yellows are the first to go and by the time you are at 100 feet plus they just look black.

Yep we are always open but we have a family that has booked the whole Resort for Easter so the first night we have availability is March 24th. Just give us a call when you have some dates in mind, that is if you still want to come after my fishing report :(

The fishing in Toba SUCKED!!! Over 11 hours we tried the back side of Elizabeth Island, Johnston Bay in Toba, the plunge pools of two falls in Toba, Homfrey Creek Bay and Forbes Bay. No bait, no birds, no fish. Switched out lures, played with tail lengths, played with speed, fished from 80 down to 240 and came up with zilch. Did a quick spin up to my usual fishing grounds closer to home on the way back and had a nice 10 pounder in under 15 minutes. So the morale of the story - stick with what works :D

Man was it a SPECTACULAR day on the water it was like glass the whole day until about 4:00 when we picked up a small chop. It was so nice out you "almost" didn't mind the lack of fish. May have been a little early for Toba yet but we are getting so busy at the Resort in April now that I have to get my "me" fishing in early!

Belly meat has been sashimied and the rest is heading for the barbi, mmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhh fresh fish!!!! (And no we don't serve unfrozen fish to our guests as sashimi but yes we do eat it ourselves)

I'd like to hear more about Toba, what were you targetting feeders or does Toba get an early run of Springs?

Trolled Westview to Sliammon this afternoon. One hit and lost it to a seal. Best view of the day was a log boom heading for Vancouver coming past Atriveda Reef and it had 200 to 250 seals sunning themselves and heading south. Passed Westview around 6:30 and they were still riding it.

With any luck the seals stay on that tow all the way to Vancouver and permanently relocate!!! Good to hear you got out Kisinana, bad news about the seal. I have no idea how but I have never yet lost a salmon to a seal.... knock on wood.... I don't think the seals up by us see enough fishing vessels to have figured out the process.... but we are also set up with rods, reels and line to get them in the boat pretty fast.

Toba at this time of year is winter residents, there is an early Jack run but it's too early for that yet. What I was hoping for at this time of year is that the herring would have been there which usually consolidates the winters in a few locations making them a little easier to find and target.

Back