All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a bit off topic but as some on here maybe aware that MS is a horrible condition and does put one into the high risk population of covid-19. Here is some potential life changing news and shows what the power of this new mRNA vaccine technology has to offer.

BioNTech Vaccine Treats MS in Mice Without Dampening Immune System​

Experimental non-inflammatory vaccine — designed to dampen the abnormal immune responses seen in multiple sclerosis (MS) against myelin — delayed the onset and lessened the severity of symptoms in a mouse model of MS, a study reports.

Importantly, treated mice showed no signs of overall immune suppression, suggesting that this type of therapy may overcome the downsides associated with current immunosuppressive therapies for MS.

These data support advancing this vaccine, and possibly bringing it into testing in patients.

https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday....without-immune-suppression-mouse-model-study/

Thanks for this. I can only dream that one day there is a cure.

Ontario going All In...

Ontario Declares Second Provincial Emergency to Address COVID-19 Crisis and Save Lives​

In response to a doubling in COVID-19 cases over the past two weeks, the real and looming threat of the collapse of the province's hospital system and alarming risks posed to long-term care homes as a result of high COVID-19 transmission rates, the Ontario government, in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of Health and other health experts, is immediately declaring a second provincial emergency under s 7.0.1 (1) of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMPCA).

Effective Thursday, January 14, 2021at 12:01 a.m., the government is issuing a stay-at-home order requiring everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services, for exercise or for essential work. This order and other new and existing public health restrictions are aimed at limiting people's mobility and reducing the number of daily contacts with those outside an immediate household. In addition to limiting outings to essential trips, all businesses must ensure that any employee who can work from home, does work from home.

New Enforcement Measures

Under the declaration of a provincial emergency, the province will provide authority to all enforcement and provincial offences officers, including the Ontario Provincial Police, local police forces, bylaw officers, and provincial workplace inspectors to issue tickets to individuals who do not comply with the stay-at-home-order, or those not wearing a mask or face covering indoors as well as retail operators and companies who do not enforce. Those who decide not to abide by orders will be subject to set fines and/or prosecution under both the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, (ROA) and EMCPA.

In addition, all enforcement personnel will have the authority to temporarily close a premise and disperse individuals who are in contravention of an order and will be able to disperse people who are gathering, regardless whether a premise has been closed or remains open such as a park or house.

"Extraordinary action is needed to protect the health and safety of Ontarians as we deal with this growing crisis," said Solicitor General Sylvia Jones. "Our government is providing police and bylaw officers with the tools, and the authority, they need to enforce these critical restrictions and protect public health."

Thanks for this. I can only dream that one day there is a cure.
Your welcome. Most don't know but Canada is the world hot spot for MS and Alberta is the epicenter.
I have friends and family in Alberta and this was always on their radar.

Ontario going All In...

Ontario Declares Second Provincial Emergency to Address COVID-19 Crisis and Save Lives​

In response to a doubling in COVID-19 cases over the past two weeks, the real and looming threat of the collapse of the province's hospital system and alarming risks posed to long-term care homes as a result of high COVID-19 transmission rates, the Ontario government, in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer of Health and other health experts, is immediately declaring a second provincial emergency under s 7.0.1 (1) of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMPCA).

Effective Thursday, January 14, 2021at 12:01 a.m., the government is issuing a stay-at-home order requiring everyone to remain at home with exceptions for essential purposes, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services, for exercise or for essential work. This order and other new and existing public health restrictions are aimed at limiting people's mobility and reducing the number of daily contacts with those outside an immediate household. In addition to limiting outings to essential trips, all businesses must ensure that any employee who can work from home, does work from home.

New Enforcement Measures

Under the declaration of a provincial emergency, the province will provide authority to all enforcement and provincial offences officers, including the Ontario Provincial Police, local police forces, bylaw officers, and provincial workplace inspectors to issue tickets to individuals who do not comply with the stay-at-home-order, or those not wearing a mask or face covering indoors as well as retail operators and companies who do not enforce. Those who decide not to abide by orders will be subject to set fines and/or prosecution under both the Reopening Ontario (A Flexible Response to COVID-19) Act, (ROA) and EMCPA.

In addition, all enforcement personnel will have the authority to temporarily close a premise and disperse individuals who are in contravention of an order and will be able to disperse people who are gathering, regardless whether a premise has been closed or remains open such as a park or house.

"Extraordinary action is needed to protect the health and safety of Ontarians as we deal with this growing crisis," said Solicitor General Sylvia Jones. "Our government is providing police and bylaw officers with the tools, and the authority, they need to enforce these critical restrictions and protect public health."

Holy crap... When are pepole going to stand up & say enough. Quebec & now Ontario.. Pepole are begging the government to take away their rights..

I cant even imagine how such a health order would be used here.

Welcome to North Korea

It's a sad day for Canada

Seem warranted to me idd hate to end up at a hospital and have no oxygen available to treat me.

seems there are some real concerns there

Seem warranted to me idd hate to end up at a hospital and have no oxygen available to treat me.

seems there are some real concerns there

Yeah the number and modelling they presented was scary. Ontario is in real trouble if they can't keep that R0 value down. It has swamped the healthcare system.

Every year the flu over loads our health care system. Look at wait times for basic elective surgeries before covid... No matter how much more money you throw at it, nothing gets better. Canada needs to have a real talk about our healthcare delivery. Time to look to Europe and some of their success.

Have looked at Europe today ..lol its a **** show over there too...

Covid wise yes. What I was referring to was the public health model that most successful nations use. Germany, France for example. They have ability to absorb spikes in hospitalizations much better than Canada. They also are much more efficient.

Anyways its getting off topic.

Yeah the number and modelling they presented was scary. Ontario is in real trouble if they can't keep that R0 value down. It has swamped the healthcare system.
Sorry, I beg to differ, both my sisters are in healthcare in Ont. One a is a nurse in a smaller facility close to her town, (Trenton). Since Covid started they have had 1, YES 1 confirmed case on any of her shifts, and some possible, earlier most were not tested unless they have multiple symptoms or underlying issues, all have been sent home to recover, the 1 was taken to TO. They are not stressed, out of oxygen or overloaded, but the opposite, bored and playing cards. They are very upset though as parts of her job description has somewhat changed (increased), now instead of a family member sitting with their mum, dad or grandparents while they die it is my sister and her coworkers. Yes she is stressed at this portion of her job. Funny how I don't see that nightly from Global. I would ask for hospital data to back up what the nightly news is scaring us with but somehow those questions keep getting deleted. I have no idea about major metropolitan areas as I am sure they as the news always states, could, may or possibly are swamped with cases if the modeling is correct. But it is definitely NOT all Ont.

Now back to "validated" data.

HM

Instead of locking people down and having people lose everything over this , including people’s lives, maybe a better model would have been to try and increase beds and support for those who get covid. The numbers show a drastic improvement in our ability to successfully treat people with covid when you compare it to the beginning of the virus but that’s only if we have people and places to treat them. It’s been a year and my wife is also in healthcare and the hospital she works at has had one case and zero spread from it. Where is the rapid testing at the front door of hospitals and care homes? We are just now beginning to utilize rapid testing and the states has been doing it for 6 months. People need to get outside, get some exercise , earn a living etc but instead everyone has been guilted into sitting inside, avoiding friends and family and arguing on Facebook about us politics. I finally put my 4 year old in daycare because he’s been isolated from friends for 8 months now. I can go to the gym and run on a treadmill with no mask right now but apparently can’t have dinner with a family member or friend . Meanwhile a large percentage of politicians in charge travel the world on vacation. Come on. Just my opinion but I think we should either go all in on a serious lockdown or nothing at all. This half assing it is just dragging this thing out. Most people in the high risk category are retirement age. So stay inside and hide if you like but the rest of us have food to put on the table and families to try to properly raise.

Last edited:
Sorry, I beg to differ, both my sisters are in healthcare in Ont. One a is a nurse in a smaller facility close to her town, (Trenton). Since Covid started they have had 1, YES 1 confirmed case on any of her shifts, and some possible, earlier most were not tested unless they have multiple symptoms or underlying issues, all have been sent home to recover, the 1 was taken to TO. They are not stressed, out of oxygen or overloaded, but the opposite, bored and playing cards. They are very upset though as parts of her job description has somewhat changed (increased), now instead of a family member sitting with their mum, dad or grandparents while they die it is my sister and her coworkers. Yes she is stressed at this portion of her job. Funny how I don't see that nightly from Global. I would ask for hospital data to back up what the nightly news is scaring us with but somehow those questions keep getting deleted. I have no idea about major metropolitan areas as I am sure they as the news always states, could, may or possibly are swamped with cases if the modeling is correct. But it is definitely NOT all Ont.

Now back to "validated" data.

HM

Just talked to two nurses I know in the fraser valley/vancouver area. They said lots of room and much, much less busy in both their hospitals than normal for this time of year. If this doesn't show you can't trust the news than I don't know what does.

just watching global national they only mention the worst case scenario numbers for Ontario (which going by EVERY SINGLE past model are not realistic. Crazy how many times models have been way too high time after time). Just shows you their agenda to scare people so they watch more.

Last edited:
Still planning my summer trip, good that Canada has negative test before entry, South Africa has had the rapid tests with email response for 3 months with state run testing sites, cost to tourist, $69 US last time I looked. Why is Canada so 3rd world? Maybe lockdown is the real outcome wanted?

HM

Holy crap... When are pepole going to stand up & say enough. Quebec & now Ontario.. Pepole are begging the government to take away their rights..

I cant even imagine how such a health order would be used here.

Welcome to North Korea

It's a sad day for Canada
So just curious if you were in charge, what would you do? The health care system there is reaching its breaking point, nurses and health care workers are beyond burnt out, icu beds almost full and cases continuing to go up. Im not saying i agree with what ford is doing but what would you do?

So just curious if you were in charge, what would you do? The health care system there is reaching its breaking point, nurses and health care workers are beyond burnt out, icu beds almost full and cases continuing to go up. Im not saying i agree with what ford is doing but what would you do?

Great question... I don't know what I would do. I see your point & get that they are running out of options. It's a tough position to be in. It's easy to play arm chair quarterback.

I would have hoped that the Ontario Gov would have made additional ICU capacity since last spring.? I know AB & BC did that.

Unless you have support from the vast majority of citizens no rules & regulations will help. Once the virus gets a foothold it takes off like wild fire. Only way to stop it is for folks to take some personal responsibility. Both Ontario and Quebec had circuit breaker style shut downs. It didn't do a dam thing except fatigue pepole & make them stop listening.

I am happy how AB turned things around. A month ago we were ~2000 cases a day with testing positivity rates as high as 10%. Hospitals were filling up. Folks took it Seriously and hunkered down. Today we are ~650 cases a day with positivity rates ~6.5%. (Still high but trending in the right direction). So it is possible with pepoles buy in.

It seems like AB & BC did a good job over xmas & took advantage of the xmas break to stay at home and minimize contacts. This may not be the case for many in the AB government as some of them went on international vacations. However those people are paying the consequences & will again at election day.

Sorry for the long answer. I guess what I am trying to say is that with out a vast majority of citizen buy in & support nothing will help & I dont know what I would do..

Great question... I don't know what I would do. I see your point & get that they are running out of options. It's a tough position to be in. It's easy to play arm chair quarterback.

.. Both Ontario and Quebec had circuit breaker style shut downs. It didn't do a dam thing except fatigue pepole & make them stop listening.

I am happy how AB turned things around. A month ago we were ~2000 cases a day with testing positivity rates as high as 10%. Hospitals were filling up. Folks took it Seriously and hunkered down. Today we are ~650 cases a day with positivity rates ~6.5%. (Still high but trending in the right direction). So it is possible with pepoles buy in.
The Ontario measures in December were poorly applied and are a contributor to the very serious problems being seen at the moment in the GTA. Premier Ford announces zero gatherings but gives five days notice, and not starting until boxing day. So of course, given this much warning, people run around and cram all their shopping and visiting into the remaining time. That five days notice was Ford trying to look like the good guy and not ruin Christmas, but it caused exactly the increase in social contacts that such restrictions aim to prevent. The burst of infections in that week are now crowding the hospitals and ICUs in Toronto. Outlying areas where population density is lower are starting to have patients transferred in to their ICUs because some of the city units are at 100-120% of capacity.

He learnt from the mistake and yesterday's Stay At Home order came with just hours of notice, not days. This is why Dr Henry's order cutting off liquor sales at 8 pm came with so little notice. Tough on licensees perhaps, but for just one day. And perhaps partly why we haven't seen a surge of cases in BC coming from NYE festivities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back