All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
In BC I got a business card with my first shot information on it and I am to bring it when I get my second shot.
Did you get documentation for this second shot?
I am interested in how all this will play out when the covid passport thing finally rolls out.

No I never got anything. For my first and second shot. All they gave me was the batch ID from the vial they pulled from. I guess they have health records??

Now you have me thinking?

No I never got anything. For my first and second shot. All they gave me was the batch ID from the vial they pulled from. I guess they have health records??

Now you have me thinking?
I got a sheet of paper with all the info on it. Place, time, type of shot so on and more info as well. I’m to keep it and bring it in to be filled out further when I go in for my second shot.

The long road to mRNA vaccines​

Today’s success with mRNA vaccines against COVID-19 comes from the decades of research that came before it.

The big question​

Was the science behind the COVID-19 vaccines rushed?

The quick answer​

The science behind the new COVID-19 vaccines has not been rushed. In fact, these vaccines are building on decades of scientific research.

The story involves hundreds of people all over the world and highlights the importance of fundamental and applied research. Advancements in our understanding of messenger RNA (mRNA) and its potential for use in medicines, along with the creation of new technologies over the last 30 years, made these vaccines possible. Recent research on coronaviruses, in particular, made these vaccines effective.

The science behind the COVID-19 vaccines was not rushed.
If anything, the story behind them—and the decades of research within that story—is remarkable.

https://cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/52424.html

The long road to mRNA vaccines​

Today’s success with mRNA vaccines against COVID-19 comes from the decades of research that came before it.

The big question​

Was the science behind the COVID-19 vaccines rushed?

The quick answer​

The science behind the new COVID-19 vaccines has not been rushed. In fact, these vaccines are building on decades of scientific research.

The story involves hundreds of people all over the world and highlights the importance of fundamental and applied research. Advancements in our understanding of messenger RNA (mRNA) and its potential for use in medicines, along with the creation of new technologies over the last 30 years, made these vaccines possible. Recent research on coronaviruses, in particular, made these vaccines effective.

The science behind the COVID-19 vaccines was not rushed.
If anything, the story behind them—and the decades of research within that story—is remarkable.

https://cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/52424.html
Thanks for the link; I've been trying to explain to people (both friends and patients) that we were looking at the associated theory behind the applied science since the late 80's. Now I'll just send them this link.

I guess people haven't heard that BC Ferries have been refunding canceled reservations during the pandemic. Booked all our summer travel a couple of weeks ago figuring there would be a run on ferry reservations once the phase 2 announcement came.

US border to remain closed for another month, story here. I'm in favour, things are still too green to set off the flurry of increased social contacts that would happen with border reopening just in time for summer. We're tantalisingly close, that's what's driving some people nuts.

Looks like Alberta will be the first to lift restrictions & try to get back to normal. As of July 1st all covid restrictions are gone, except having to quarantine if you get covid. If we keep up with giving 2nd doses it should work. I think we are close to 30% second shots now.

The plan is not to focus on eliminating Covid cases, but to keep hospitals from over loading. That said if Vaccines keep most folks out of the hospital & reduces deaths then its a win. If those two are drastically reduced while attaining a much higher number of infected, Covid then basically becomes a "flu". There may be impacts, but they'll be manageable.

So for those who chose not to get a vaccine have 2 weeks & than after that they are on their own.

This will be a good trial for the rest of Canada to watch. With the Calgary Stampede going this year it will be a true test as there will be no covid restrictions in place. If covid numbers hold steady with in 2 weeks of Stampede then the rest of Canada can let their guard down.

Last edited:
Not sure why the border can’t be open for fully vaccinated people. The data is strong that those who are fully vaccinated have very little risk to those around them. Another summer and my USDs stay in my pocket instead of in BC. :(

Not sure why the border can’t be open for fully vaccinated people. The data is strong that those who are fully vaccinated have very little risk to those around them. Another summer and my USDs stay in my pocket instead of in BC. :(
I think the problem is proof of vaccinations and also variants. We have a low percentage of 2nd doses in this country and they want to get it higher. We like having visitors but where you want to visit is probably isolated and has minimal health care. In your country just as in ours there are a small percentage of the population that see no need to get vaccinated and see it as an infringement of their rights to have to have a vaccine passport. These people are a real danger and until we can be assured they don't come in -all are going to have to stay away. The fear is of course like an Air India flight of 300 people last fall 17 had fraudulent vaccine documents and until a fail safe vaccine passport is developed the border will stay closed. I think it will open July 21--but who can bet on that with this gov't and then there are the variants!! Fingers crossed and then Welcome Back!!

If we were a couple months further into vaccine program then I think the border could have opened. There are two problems I see:
1. Increased social contacts. With the exchange rate north of 80 cents, Canadians will flock to the US in search of "deals". Quickie trips across the line for gas, beer, smokes and dairy that are all perceived to be cheaper south of the line. Canadians make literally millions of these trips every weekend. Camping and other rec travel with summer season here, even more motivation to travel. Applied across tens of millions of people, these increased social contacts are going to cause a lot of new infections, even in vaccinated people.
2. We can't go back. Almost 18 months into the pandemic now, and even the most compliant people are very covid fatigued. Health authorities know that each restriction that is lifted is effectively non reversible. Going back to another round of closures will mean widespread non-compliance, street protests and so on. The vaccines have been so widely presented as the way out of the pandemic that a vaccinated population will have low tolerance for new restrictions. Hence the cautious, phased lifting of measures in BC. Once the genie is out of the bottle...

I think the problem is proof of vaccinations and also variants. We have a low percentage of 2nd doses in this country and they want to get it higher. We like having visitors but where you want to visit is probably isolated and has minimal health care. In your country just as in ours there are a small percentage of the population that see no need to get vaccinated and see it as an infringement of their rights to have to have a vaccine passport. These people are a real danger and until we can be assured they don't come in -all are going to have to stay away. The fear is of course like an Air India flight of 300 people last fall 17 had fraudulent vaccine documents and until a fail safe vaccine passport is developed the border will stay closed. I think it will open July 21--but who can bet on that with this gov't and then there are the variants!! Fingers crossed and then Welcome Back!!
Too bad my nootka trip is 7/17-22! :(

Reactions: abl
First Cancer Patient Receives mRNA Melanoma Vaccine In New Clinical Trial

When research into mRNA vaccines was ramped up and they were thrust into the spotlight in the relentless fight against COVID-19, speculation began as to how the innovations could impact other areas of medicine.

Now, another large milestone has been reached to that end, with the first patient in the Phase II trial of the BioNTech mRNA cancer vaccine receiving their first dose. The BNT111 treatment will be combined with an existing immunotherapy drug and aims to combat a specific type of advanced melanoma.

“Our vision is to harness the power of the immune system against cancer and infectious diseases. We were able to demonstrate the potential of mRNA vaccines in addressing COVID-19. We must not forget, that cancer is also a global health threat, even worse than the current pandemic,“ said Özlem Türeci, M.D., Co-founder and Chief Medical Officer of BioNTech, in a statement.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-a...-mrna-melanoma-vaccine-in-new-clinical-trial/

Had pretty much decided I was done with posting on this Forum.
But, I do believe that some of these ongoing developments are interesting enough for me to forgo that in some instances.
So I will do so to add whatever I run across that is of interest here:

Antisense, RNAi And MicroRNA Explained

Make Way For RNA Based Therapies

The up hill battle of RNA therapeutics to the clinic continues despite extensive use in research. Recall from high school biology that RNA translates DNA code into a language ribosomes can understand in order to make proteins required by the cell.

Fighting the good fight are antisense, RNAi, and microRNA. With their high specificity and relative low manufacturing cost, these technologies may be tomorrow’s biotech sweetheart. In fact, chances are good that previously “undruggable” targets (that cannot be accessed by small or large molecule drugs) are within arm’s reach. However, the main hurdle continues to be delivery—getting the RNA drug where it needs to be, in high enough concentrations, to be effective.

This WEEKLY examines the similarities and differences between the RNA therapeutics winding their way through the clinic and into the marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back