All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, considering the pro-lockdown, anti-Trump governor of NY Andrew Cuomo has flat out admitted to NY's numbers being falsified - specifically undercounting nursing home deaths by about half in an attempt to avoid a federal investigation - I'd say we should be extremely skeptical of the numbers provided by any officials who are pro- or anti-Trump. Or pro- or anti-lockdown. Those are the only two camps I find particularly suspicious, though.

Well.... the US is slowly catching up with the data quality and info sharing standards of the biggest totalitarian regimes like China, Iran and Russia. This is pretty alarming, given how the disease has been spreading across the country for the last three weeks.

Well.... the US is slowly catching up with the data quality and info sharing standards of the biggest totalitarian regimes like China, Iran and Russia. This is pretty alarming, given how the disease has been spreading across the country for the last three weeks.
That makes some degree of sense to me... Data collection and information sharing by totalitarian states are only constrained by the desires of the state. I would expect a federation of states with fifty different sets of constitutional concerns to be pretty slow to resolve potential issues with that stuff.

Where do you expect we be would with Covid in BC if we followed your belief "therefore it's all pointless." and did nothing?
I believe we in BC have done an excellent job balancing between a total shutdown and totally opening and letting the virus go unchecked.
Our biggest problem are the people who fail to follow the rules that are in effect!

You're right, which proves my point. Other jurisdictions with much more strict measures have been hit much harder.

Looking at the map GLG posted , can anyone on here that explain why places like Florida and Texas with zero restrictions or lockdowns is in a better position than Alberta (which just lifted large restrictions)or over half of North America? They are holding sports events and partying like crazy down there and the deaths per 100k is barely higher than California which has essentially bankrupted 75% of its restaurants and shut everything down for months due to insane rules and lockdowns. As of Feb 15 . Texas 143 deaths per 100k people, Florida 134 deaths per 100k people and California is sitting at 119. The thing about Florida is it also the second oldest state, meaning age of residents which should mean more deaths but the numbers don’t show that. Am I missing something here?
That map shows temperatures ...

You're right, which proves my point. Other jurisdictions with much more strict measures have been hit much harder.
Like where? How do you explain Australia or New Zealand? I’ll wait.......

You can check here for reliable unbiased numbers:

Last edited:
That map shows temperatures ...
Haha sorry about that, I'm an idiot for mentioning it in my post if that's the case because I scrolled past it without really looking. The numbers I mentioned are from what I believe to be a credible source though not from the fishing forum. Why is a place like Florida with zero restrictions better off than more than half of the states. It cant be related to temperature or wouldn't places like Arizona be less? They are sitting over 200 deaths per 100k.

Last edited:
Haha sorry about that, I'm an idiot for mentioning it in my post if that's the case because I scrolled past it without really looking. The numbers I mentioned are from what I believe to be a credible source though not from the fishing forum. Why is a place like Florida with zero restrictions better off than places with heavy ones? It cant be related to temperature or wouldn't places like Arizona be less? They are sitting over 200 per 100k.
If you can believe them. Covid has been so politicized down there by both parties that any info out of the states is suspect.

Haha sorry about that, I'm an idiot for mentioning it in my post if that's the case because I scrolled past it without really looking. The numbers I mentioned are from what I believe to be a credible source though not from the fishing forum. Why is a place like Florida with zero restrictions better off than more than half of the states. It cant be related to temperature or wouldn't places like Arizona be less? They are sitting over 200 deaths per 100k.
And how about Australia and New Zealand? What did you find out about how they keep their cases so low?

And how about Australia and New Zealand? What did you find out about how they keep their cases so low?
Island nations in the southern hemisphere...they may be benefiting from a bunch of factors that don't really apply elsewhere. Their lockdowns might be the whole story but they might not; nobody knows.

I wouldn't assume that lockdowns do nothing, but then it also depends on the exact specifics of the lockdown. In California a few days ago some school - I think UC Berkeley - put a ban on its dorm students doing solo outdoor exercise, for example. That's almost guaranteed to make the problem worse, not better: more time in a building with, basically, shared ventilation systems, and less time outside where as far as we know, covid doesn't really transmit well at all. There's no question that lockdown policy increases the likelihood of transmission according to everything we know about this virus, but it's the policy.

So it's not just a matter of "lockdown swift and aggressively" - there's ways to lock down that make things better, and ways that make things worse.

We don't really know the details of why NZ and Australia have been successful, but they don't have transport trucks crossing the border into the USA and back every single day by the thousand, that's for sure. We do. What's the impact of that? What demographic is most affected? Where would those results show up? But what would we do without those trucks?

This is exactly why I'm not a huge fan of strict lockdowns. We don't know exactly how well they work because, among other issues, we don't know what the role of mandatory exceptions is playing. But what's quite easy is: mask up in confined or shared spaces, spend time outside, eat well, stay healthy. For the vast, vast majority of us, that's going to cover it pretty well.

Island nations in the southern hemisphere...they may be benefiting from a bunch of factors that don't really apply elsewhere. Their lockdowns might be the whole story but they might not; nobody knows.

I wouldn't assume that lockdowns do nothing, but then it also depends on the exact specifics of the lockdown. In California a few days ago some school - I think UC Berkeley - put a ban on its dorm students doing solo outdoor exercise, for example. That's almost guaranteed to make the problem worse, not better: more time in a building with, basically, shared ventilation systems, and less time outside where as far as we know, covid doesn't really transmit well at all. There's no question that lockdown policy increases the likelihood of transmission according to everything we know about this virus, but it's the policy.

So it's not just a matter of "lockdown swift and aggressively" - there's ways to lock down that make things better, and ways that make things worse.

We don't really know the details of why NZ and Australia have been successful, but they don't have transport trucks crossing the border into the USA and back every single day by the thousand, that's for sure. We do. What's the impact of that? What demographic is most affected? Where would those results show up? But what would we do without those trucks?

This is exactly why I'm not a huge fan of strict lockdowns. We don't know exactly how well they work because, among other issues, we don't know what the role of mandatory exceptions is playing. But what's quite easy is: mask up in confined or shared spaces, spend time outside, eat well, stay healthy. For the vast, vast majority of us, that's going to cover it pretty well.
Your exactly right. There’s so many variable we will never know. We do know masks work. We do know social distancing works. We do know hand washing works. Unfortunately the anti mask, going to the ski hill, get a haircut and stop for a burger at the pub on the way home crowd don’t see it that way. Letting the masses think for themselves has shown that most of them don’t. That is where the breakdown seems to be. You can see that in the rise in numbers after thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years.

Well last evening marks the first time since this pandemic started that i officially know someone who has covid. My wifes friends mother somehow contracted it at work in her 9-5 office job. Three weeks ago apparently someone caught it who she had socially distance contact with for 2 days.

even tho she had contact with this person she was never told to isolate or do anything. It was only after developing symptoms the other day that she went and got tested.

Well last evening marks the first time since this pandemic started that i officially know someone who has covid. My wifes friends mother somehow contracted it at work in her 9-5 office job. Three weeks ago apparently someone caught it who she had socially distance contact with for 2 days.

even tho she had contact with this person she was never told to isolate or do anything. It was only after developing symptoms the other day that she went and got tested.
That’s unfortunate and I hope she recovers. I also hope they can trace back and find out if that carrier didn’t give it to more than just her. It’s also a little concerning that she’s become ill outside of the 14 days where it typically shows up.

Interesting, jobplace not doing a great job there.

My work has had a few positives sadly (office job). In all cases, contact tracing is done in the office and people sent home for two weeks if they had contact with the person. I think the hard part is balancing the privacy laws.

Unfortunately I'm no more inclined to let people in government think for me, than any other group of people. The masses may be stupid, but that's the hiring pool for the government, too.

But I support the right of people who want to let them do that, doing that for/to them. Just not anyone else.
There are people both in Government and Health Care that are better educated and more knowledgeable then you and I when it comes to Covid 19 in particular!
For the uneducated and uniformed I say step aside on this one and let the experts lead the way!

I have a tenant from NZ that recently travelled home. They have been extremely strict on entering the country. They have been put in hotels on their dime to quarantine upon entering is what she was explaining. I believe the cost was 3500$. That’s all I know.

There are people both in Government and Health Care that are better educated and more knowledgeable then you and I when it comes to Covid 19 in particular!
For the uneducated and uniformed I say step aside on this one and let the experts lead the way!
And I support your right to want that and if you wish to put your faith in the government, I wouldn't tell you that you can't.

I just won't, myself, and I feel capable of parsing data relevant to me at a fairly high level.

And I support your right to want that and if you wish to put your faith in the government, I wouldn't tell you that you can't.

I just won't, myself, and I feel capable of parsing data relevant to me at a fairly high level.
Unfortunately there’s too many that can’t.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back