All the Smallmouth

I whole heartedly agree with Bill, Shawnigan Lake is, in my opinion, one the of the best smallmouth lakes around. There are so many places to fish on this lake, islands, rock humps, drop offs, docks and pilings. If I could fish one lake for the rest of my life that would be the one. It is a beautiful piece of water with incredible scenery.
The last time I was there we could do no wrong. We caught them on topwaters, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, any soft plastics at just about every piece of structure we stopped at.
This is a great lake for learning how to fish different types of presentations and they way fish hit them.

Just talking about makes me want to load everything up and hit the next ferry.

Thanks for re-awakening the memory Bill..

Terry Skipper
www.reactionbaits.com

Eric, if you are 31 and have lived all your life in Crofton then you probably know my son Matthew (who is now a carpenter in Victoria). We use to live in Chemainus, and Matt went to school there. His good friend Eric still lives in Crofton. Could that be you?

Eric, if you are 31 and have lived all your life in Crofton then you probably know my son Matthew (who is now a carpenter in Victoria). We use to live in Chemainus, and Matt went to school there. His good friend Eric still lives in Crofton. Could that be you?

Yep, that'd be me. I'm assuming that you are Ian and not Matt's mom. Kinda nice to know that such a popular and great fisherman like yourself even remembers me.
So am I in your bad books for bass fishing? Seems a lot of guys at the mill hate bass and have bad mouthed me for fishing them. Seriously. They call em garbage fish and curse the lack of trout around shorelines and the pain of hooking bass when they fish for trout.

Yep, that'd be me. I'm assuming that you are Ian and not Matt's mom. Kinda nice to know that such a popular and great fisherman like yourself even remembers me.
So am I in your bad books for bass fishing? Seems a lot of guys at the mill hate bass and have bad mouthed me for fishing them. Seriously. They call em garbage fish and curse the lack of trout around shorelines and the pain of hooking bass when they fish for trout.

I like bass Eric. I just don't like them being transported into other lakes by private citizens. ALL stocking of lakes should be left to the professionals. It's not so much the bass that bother me as the perch. Perch are too small to be a sportsfish and they are too small to be much good on the table. Besides that they overpopulate the lakes with stunted fish and eat the available food supply. Perch spawn several times a year and bass can't eat them fast enough to slow down their numbers.

I like bass Eric. I just don't like them being transported into other lakes by private citizens. ALL stocking of lakes should be left to the professionals. It's not so much the bass that bother me as the perch. Perch are too small to be a sportsfish and they are too small to be much good on the table. Besides that they overpopulate the lakes with stunted fish and eat the available food supply. Perch spawn several times a year and bass can't eat them fast enough to slow down their numbers.

Funny you should mention perch. If I hadn't been fishing with my buddy's dad (who fishes a lot in Ontario) we never would've known that Shawnigan had perch. Perch are a lot more annoying than sunfish. At least the kids love fishing for those.
Yes, idiots chucking bass into just any lake are a pain. I hope this doesn't continue.

Funny you should mention perch. If I hadn't been fishing with my buddy's dad (who fishes a lot in Ontario) we never would've known that Shawnigan had perch. Perch are a lot more annoying than sunfish. At least the kids love fishing for those.
Yes, idiots chucking bass into just any lake are a pain. I hope this doesn't continue.

Oh soooo the famous Ian Forbes is still lurking the Sportfishing B.C. site. Nice to hear from you Ian, some people could use your advice on this site!!! Hit any local rivers lately???? Too low??? Did the Stamp a day or so ago, WOW what a linery I mean fishery. I think I spotted Robert at his favorite Island spot. I can't believe those fish have to run the Gauntlet, there are sooooooooo many chrome Coho in the system right now. Not to mention the semi chrome springs!!!

Oh soooo the famous Ian Forbes is still lurking the Sportfishing B.C. site. Nice to hear from you Ian, some people could use your advice on this site!!! Hit any local rivers lately???? Too low??? Did the Stamp a day or so ago, WOW what a linery I mean fishery. I think I spotted Robert at his favorite Island spot. I can't believe those fish have to run the Gauntlet, there are sooooooooo many chrome Coho in the system right now. Not to mention the semi chrome springs!!!

Back