Alder Bay/Telegraph Cove

Yeah our 5 day trip from the 17-21st of July was ok but we worked for it. We did manage to to scatch up an 33.5lb and 26 lb spring while we out near craycroft.

We just back on Thursday from Telegraph.

Really thick fog every morning burns off around noon. The fishing is definitely slow, we found very few fish behind malcom, picked up one teener, in the evening we fished flower island and hit 4 springs in the low the teens, a coho and few pinks over the course of 3 days. Jigged up some hali around lizard point but nothing very big just chickens.

Top tackle hands down was an army truck teaser head 6ft behind a glow green flasher, this combo caught all our springs

Just got back form a few days up that way. Fished Friday afternoon, and Sat, Sun, Mon mornings.

Friday: just a quick trip to settle in and get the boy out. At two, he isn't coming on the early morning trips yet, but he loves getting out. Scratched up a ho (tossed back) a pink and one decent hali (nice chicken).

Sat: Fished the bluffs, which normally produce well for me. Not so this time. We couldn't get through the ho's to anything else. They were a plague. I think we whacked a pink. Moved down a ways, and dropped one down for halis. Two very small ones. One tossed, and we kept the second because it was badly hooked.

Sun: fished a little farther up. Found them too, had an easy limit by 8:30. One 25#, and the other a mix of teeners. My big one fought not at all. It had somehow wound all three points of the treble hook into it's eyeball (poor fish) and this seems to have turned it off pulling hard. Dropped it down for halis on the way home, nada. Snuck out in the afternoon with the boy and the missus. Just trolled the bay, and tossed a ho and a pink.

Mon: Hi hopes of anoher easy limit were soon dashed. The plague of hos set upon us again. For some reason, the hos turned off for us after a while, and we were just driving around in circles, watching everyone else toss hos all around us. Even though we didn't want them, it was a little disconsertingt that they didn't want us either. By 10:30, it was time to take drastic action. Like CPM, I often save the day with an army truck head. Not my favorite pattern, but it seems to work when nothing else will. I sent it down on an extra long leader (8'), and immediately nailed a nice 20#er. My partner promptly sent down an army truck head on a shorter leader on his side, and WHAM. The fish fought like a spring, and it was a good size, so we scooped it up. But it looked wrong in the net. We jumped to "monster ho", but then quickly realized it was a chum. kind of a wierd catch, but a gooder. 16#er. Dropped it (the gear, not the chum) on the way home for hali and picked up a decent chicken wihtout much effort. Best part was, we were within polishing distance of the only other boat in that spot, who was dilligently jigging away. They had a sense of humor about it. We took one more tack past them, but no further production. The boy wanted to go for a boat ride after his nap, so off we went. Great whale show (he tried to capture one with his minnow net). And I persuaded a beauty 15# ling to join us on-board.

Considering that these trips are only partly about fishing, and also about a family get-away, this was a great trip. Not the best fishing ever, but deffinitely goos enough to keep me smiling and dreaming obout next season--I won't be back up this year. Additional excitment ofr the boy included quad rides and driving an excavator. I was too shy to ask for a turn, but it sure did look like fun!

The weather was predictable: overcast, but not too foggy in the am, bright and blustery in the pm.

Aug long weekend...Weather was amazing..had an awesome trip..did the cruising around watching all sorts of marine life, lots of humpbacks, orcas porpoises, and dolphins. Fishing for springs was slow from what I saw and from what I've had on the wcvi...still hooked many a salmon (small springs, coho, pinks, and lots of sockeye showing in Johnstone strait(caught them on the surface dragging a small pink zinger )

We hooked into a monster(Spring/hali not sure) at Cracroft Pt on Saturday around 115pm played it for 20-30 min, girl friend got some of it on video, had just set the 1st rod out at 55ft rite at the point, turned to get 2nd and all I heard and then saw was my line running around back behind the boat up the other side, we chased it out into the middle of strait then it headed back towards the point , then rite back out and down deep, all I was saying on video was I just wanted to see it(and maybe a few times that it was a big F#*KEN fish;))...but it never happened, spit the hook and it was gone...I went into the derby that Telegraph put on sunday and headed rite back to Cracroft in the am..nothing but coho and pinks..so I had nothing to weigh in for it..I think 122 people registered and last i looked i saw 12? salmon weighed in, I think a 32lb was the largest with a 2lb!! as the smallest...all in all had a blast as fishing this August long weekend for me was secondary. Cruising and meeting up with friends from McNeill on the water and dinner&drinks was the plan... not one fish was killed by my boat this weekend, and still one of the best weekends it was...

Fishing is still pretty sporadic up here, although there's been a couple of solid early morning spring bites around the slide and Lizzard. Very foggy, and since I don't have radar on my boat (yet) I've missed the bites. The fog didn't clear yesterday 'til early afternoon and it was late morning today. Did get off the schneid today, though, and brought a pink into the boat. Hopefully it's head will yield a Hali tomorrow!

Back