Alberni Inlet

T

Tanglefoot

Was on the water at China Creek at 0730 and dragged bait for 4 hours and I think we got one hit. Fished fast/slow, high/low [xx(]
Only saw a few other boats, that area sure has died-out, but then again, it was a Wednesday.

Tom

Its sounding to me like this pretty sad or a possible disaster with what they are letting happen with the net fisheries [V]

I just think it will suck if the commercail guys cant make up their share of the 76,000 (and they are trying, or have been) total allowed catch on springs cause the run was only 65,000, which could happen, not like fisheries have been wrong before.
Wipe out the 07 sss spring run......." we thought we were right?" can see dfo now......."my bad"
Kinda funny the same year they cut the estimated fraser and trib sockeye return in half, they allowed fn, commercail, and sport fishers to take three quarters of what they expect to return to alberni.... I just dont know how smart that is

Btw RVP what heck is a rat???? never heard that one before

The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe its time we give the Dfo and others a taste of their own medicine and start netting them.[}:)]

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

Well a a rat is a type o lure. It is often confused with a cat lure, mat lure and fat lure. Others claim it is a knock off of the Rap lure, but that is sheer conjecture. :D

quote:Originally posted by C Lyse

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

Well a a rat is a type o lure. It is often confused with a cat lure, mat lure and fat lure. Others claim it is a knock off of the Rap lure, but that is sheer conjecture. :D

:D:D:D[:eek:)]

I'm thinking about fishing the harbour tomorrow (Sat).
Is it worth a try?
Or should I go to the sound?
Thanks!
Roo.

What difference does it make anyways, It's not like this is a wild run. There is a hacthery there that produces the springs. They must have got there allocation or else the commercial fisheries would never have opened. If they wanted more fish they could make more, but then that would start cutting in to the overall price on the market. Too many fish = too low a price. They would be producing many more fish at a higher cost, but they wouldn't see any profit increase. Our stocks are managed around profit margins! If fishing was "the way it used to be" It wouldn't be worth going out and catching salmon for $.30/ pound or less. I've heard the argument that the rivers can only handle so much thats why they don't increase production. That is BS! Think back to pre-contact if you can. Every river around you could litteraly walk on the backs of salmon to get to the other side! Now for thousands of yrs all the river systems handled way more fish than what they see now. So how can anyone say that a river has reached its capacity.

I've seen Sockeye go up the Big Q when they had a (modern times) record at the fraser. So what this tells me is that if the river is full of fish they WILL go other places to spawn! Perhaps this is why all the Vancouver Island rivers used to have Sockeye runs?

The management of our stocks isn't going to improve until we can ban together and persuade the powers that be that the SEP program should be run in order to rebuild the stocks to a pre-contact level. Rather than trying to estimate the most value for the fish produced.

RW I sorta agree. the fact that they can say that too many fish isnt good is bs, and the fact that robertson might have enough fish too sustain the next cycle is probably why they are fishing them, but why run it on bare minimum? From what what i hear if you find the fish you will catch them, ya shouldnt have to look so hard, too many fish is a good thing, for the river and all that comes out of it. I remember many runs where you could walk across their backs, doesnt so much happen anymore. They (dfo) seem to enjoy the walkin on thin ice aspect especailly to make the commercail fishing and fn sector happy, at what cost?, I agree they should be allowed to make a living too, but they arent really leaving themselves too much room to move. The troll openning that is happening offshore right now is a good thing... probably not targetting the sss springs whiich have been raped an pillaged enough for this year
The reason canadians arent make much $$$ is because the alaskans flood the market before we even have a chance to hit them....by the time we do, you can figure it out. We get nothing. Its amazing what they get for the poor quality (what we would call #2) because it is the first on market, mind you they have a better way of managing the resource.
lol ive almost lost the point.....it make me mad and Ive gone off on a rant, this industry feeds my kids, its what I do. What I see happening isnt good and I too want a job in the future. Im not a commercail fishermen
I appologize shoulda started a new thread and not hijack this one

Back