Air Rifle questions

Dave S

I am thinking about picking up one of these air rifles used for $50.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...5029P/Air+Rifle,+Hunt+Combo+Kit.jsp?locale=en

I have had bb guns in the past, but only used it for target shooting. This rifle was to get into some small game hunting, and some pest control. Will this gun have enough power to take out raccoons? Will be close range.....5-20 yards.

Is there anything I need to look at before buying?
What should I use to test it's power and speed is as advertised?

Much thanks,
Dave

Only one way to find out....
Smiley_Tiny_Drinking_Coffee.gif

I'd play with that for 50.

For a raccoon I am going to guess that you would want a .22 pellet gun (not sure if that is a .177?)

Yeah it's a .177. I read that using higher quality and heavier pellets will help. Truth to this?

You can't shoot a raccoon and kill it with a pellet gun. LOL. Well maybe point blank but... .22 rifle at least.

Squirrels, ya. I've plinked a few around my place with a .177 no problemo. The bastards were chewing at the soffits of my attic. It was war!!

Had pellet guns all my life-no way will a .177 kill a racoon-doubt a .22 pellet gun would give him more than a serious headache. They will kill birds and squirrels-makes deer leave the apples alone-sometimes LOL.

Dave I have some Heavy hollow points for you to try. It wont ever do a Racoon in tho! I prefer the .22 cal air rifles. I had a couple of those. Use it for rabit hunting out to 30 yds! (Yes 30 yds, very powerful gun). It was alot of fun to shoot! Until I wore the spring out on my second one. Dad figures there is enough lead in the back forty to pour a couple hundred cannon balls!

Let me know if you pick it up. Come out to my place and we can get it all set up if you like.

-KK

I don't care for the CO2=powered guns.......they lose their power pretty quick as the CO2 charge lessens.

I have a .177 long barreled pistol that is lever-crank charge. Big drawback is it's single shot. At full crank it will do some damge. Shot big rats dead with it at 50ft.

I had to sight it in and practise for quite awhile, so I could get 'em with one shot.

I think all pellet and bb guns in Canada are capped at 550ft per second. Mine was built in USA and is much more powerful but it had to be modified for sale in Canada.

There are actually some air guns out there that could probably kill you, they are that good in terms of power. Both .177 and .22 caliber.

But those , you need all the permits etc etc as they treat them the same as any gun that takes bullets.

One I have will take out a rabbit........don't know about 'coons though.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/air_gun-arme_air-eng.htm

2. Air guns that meet the Criminal Code definition of a firearm, but are deemed not to be firearms for certain purposes of the Firearms Act and Criminal Code

These are air guns with a maximum muzzle velocity of 152.4 metres or 500 feet per second and/or a maximum muzzle energy of 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds. Such air guns are exempt from licensing, registration, and other requirements under the Firearms Act, and from penalties set out in the Criminal Code for possessing a firearm without a valid licence or registration certificate.

However, they are considered to be firearms under the Criminal Code if they are used to commit a crime. Anyone who uses such an air gun to commit a crime faces the same penalties as someone who uses a regular firearm.

The simple possession, acquisition and use of these air guns for lawful purposes are regulated more by provincial and municipal laws and by-laws than by federal law. For example, some provinces may have set a minimum age for acquiring such an air gun. For more information, please contact your local or provincial authorities.

These air guns are exempt from the specific safe storage, transportation and handling requirements set out in the regulations supporting the Firearms Act. However, the Criminal Code requires that reasonable precautions be taken to use, carry, handle, store, transport and ship them in a safe and secure manner.

Just an excellent post and link FA!! If you follow FA's link and read the whole of para 1-shows you that Prawn Stars air rifle is really classified as a firearm with all the fun that entails in Canada!

Hi guys, I did look into the regulations regarding rifles and air guns and found that info that FA posted. It seems lots of air guns stay just under 500fps but I haven't seen much in the way of muzzle energy ratings. I live in a residential neighborhood so a real firearm is not an option. I don't mind the idea of just hurting them enough to make em find a new place to set up camp.

IMHO, 'hurting' or wounding any critter on purpose is not a good idea. If you shoot something then the intent should be to kill cleanly. If you can't do that, then find another method to get rid of nuisance animals like a live trap.

IMHO, 'hurting' or wounding any critter on purpose is not a good idea. If you shoot something then the intent should be to kill cleanly. If you can't do that, then find another method to get rid of nuisance animals like a live trap.

I hear ya clipper. My original option was to trap and relocate but after reading some rules for victoria, it says that reloacting is illegal.

I guess it really depends on how hurt or wounded the raccoon would be. If we are just talking about a surface wound or welt, I think the raccoon would much prefer that over death. I agree though that seriously wounding an animal to try and get rid of it is inhumane. Will need to figure out whether this air gun is capable of doing this.

Just an excellent post and link FA!! If you follow FA's link and read the whole of para 1-shows you that Prawn Stars air rifle is really classified as a firearm with all the fun that entails in Canada!

I was more showing how much air rifles have evolved not that I could ever afford one but that is serious knock down power compared to my first pellet gun many moons ago. Some good youtube videos showing wild boars dropped with one shot of the .357 air rifle.

Aw-- thats nice --- giving them a bath and a shampoo before you set them free !!!!!!

Back