against or with the current?

B

boatman38

I was wondering if it is better to troll with or against the current.I have read that with is better,but I find the boat moves too fast.The only fish I caught on the east side of Galiano have been trolling against the current.Any info would be appreciated as I am new to salt fishing

do a search there this has been talked about before, bottom line is both ways catch fish.

Anybody that says you can only fish in one direction(IE. Charlie White) is narrow minded.

Its about the action of your lure not the speed of the boat.

Both ways will work, but you will find certain times and locations where there is say a reef and fishing with the current will produce better. For someone just learning fishing with the current will show you how fast your tackle is moving because your lines will go down straighter. You also have to remember that the surface currents can be vastly different from the currents down deeper.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

do a search there this has been talked about before, bottom line is both ways catch fish.

Anybody that says you can only fish in one direction(IE. Charlie White) is narrow minded.

Its about the action of your lure not the speed of the boat.

charlie syas that because the fish will face and swim ito the current, so by trolling with it your lure will come at the fish rather than come up along side it.. obviusoly both ways catch fish though and i aint pulling everything up, running back and dropping, pulling up runnin back, thats alot of time moving and not with a line in the water

personally the way the current is moving doesnt so much influence which way I fish but more so where. the current direction will affect the holding positions somewhat(moreso when fishing tight to a wall), thus i target areas a little differently when the current is moving one way rather than the other.

Both ways catch fish, but I by far prefer to fish with the current, you cover more ground and bring your bait to the fish rather than waiting in one spot for the fish to come to you. I (generally) can't stand trolling into the current, it's very difficult to maintain the lure / bait speed that you want and you often find yourself pushed out of the area you want to fish.

I'll often fish with the current and then troll back inside a back-eddy if possible. Sooke has a number of spots that this works well. Every area is a little different for technique and it's useful to adjust by your experience. More often than not I'm fishing the structure and trying to stay in a particular spot (area) depending on tide.

Just my opinion.:)

thanks guys for the info.I am out on Saltspring and there isn't a heck of alot of fishermen out there to watch.How about tides?Do you prefer low or high?

you must have to speed up alot to get your tackle to work properly if you troll with the current, otherwise spoons and teaser heads won't roll. ????

Just watch the angle on your DR. Ground speed off your GPS doesn't really matter when trolling with or against the current.
How about anyone trolling across the current, following structure and whatnot.
cheers

Back