Advise on $4995 Used 17 Lifetimer Runabout w 90h

Salted

Looking for buying advise from seasoned boat owners - Please chime in or PM me if you have any advise - I'm new at this.

I've been looking for my first boat for several months - Dad passed on recently and fishing really helps me remember the good times. First baby is on the way too - sooo it's obviously time to buy a boat!

I'd been looking for a deal on a 14-16 welded aluminum with trailer and power - more tin boat than anything else (a light boat will be easier for me to launch and manage).

Anyways, this boat came along today, and it seems like a good deal:

http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/Lifetimer-Aluminum-Runabout_25520374

It's a 17.3 Welded Aluminum Lifetimer boat
90HP 2 Stroke
Trailer
lifetime.jpg
In good working order, owner says it needs nothing.

Any advise for me? (Questions I should ask, things to look out for?) It's very much appreciated!

Looks like a great deal to me and won't last long. I own a plastic boat so I am not sure what to look for in a popcan boat. Those old 90's are great long lasting motors. I am sure Sculpin can let you know what to look for in a popcan

you may want to jump on that one fairly quick if it's in decent shape. what year is it? don't think you can go too wrong at that price as long as the hull is in good shape. check for corrosion... lifetimer are known for making good boats.

Hopefully in the time it took to make this post someone didn't snap it up.. Hope you get it .. Looks to good to be true....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was well underpriced. Best thing to do when a deal comes like that is dont post it on a forum and call the guy and tell him your on the way with a deposit lol

Buy it before I do! That's a really durable motor, so if it's running it'll probably run for a while. Looks like a great price

That was well underpriced. Best thing to do when a deal comes like that is dont post it on a forum and call the guy and tell him your on the way with a deposit lol

Haha, that is good advise!

I'd already called the guy and asked him to hold it for me, but I was 3rd in line (after it had been posted for 2mins). I did that *well* before posting it here, you vultures!

Sadly I missed out, but I'm sure someone's really happy - thanks to all that replied.

When you see a boat like that for sale with a bare aluminum hull:-

First thing, look to see if it is sitting on carpet-type padded bunks.

If it is, and both the boat and trailer are a little bit older, it is where the boat is sitting on the bunks that you may find pitted corrosion.

It will be hard to spot because the boat is sitting on the bunks , blocking your view.

On carpeted bunks over wood, the wood is treated with a chemical....and this chemical combined with the always damp bunk carpet where the boat sits is what eats into the hull metal....

When you see a boat like that for sale with a bare aluminum hull:-

First thing, look to see if it is sitting on carpet-type padded bunks.

If it is, and both the boat and trailer are a little bit older, it is where the boat is sitting on the bunks that you may find pitted corrosion.

It will be hard to spot because the boat is sitting on the bunks , blocking your view.

On carpeted bunks over wood, the wood is treated with a chemical....and this chemical combined with the always damp bunk carpet where the boat sits is what eats into the hull metal....

Thanks Seafever - that's a really good tip for a would-be boat buyer like me.

Back