Advice on importing from the US

vangoalie

I am purchasing a travel trailer in the US in July, have already sent a deposit, the price is just over $20K USD and I will need to pay for it somehow, I don't want to send the money without seeing it but I cannot transport over $10k across the border without declaring it, whether cash or a bank draft. What has everyone else done, do you just declare it and they let you through no problem, is it simple. Just looking for advice from the wide range of you that have done this before and how you paid. It is a private sale so credit cards and other means don't work. Thanks for all your help.
Cheers

I've done it for 2 boats and 2 rv's. For private sales I took a copy of the add and a bank draft and declared it to the agent.For the dealer purchases I wired the money.Got sent inside once out of four times.

Ok thanks, I will declare it. He would like cash instead of a bank draft. Where does everyone and how to get the beat exchange rate? Thanks

I just did this a week ago for my new boat . I went thru my bank (CIBC) and used there Global Money Transfer on my online banking. The seller does have to give some personal and banking info so some trust involved but this was all at the suggestion of my personal banker. There is a time lag of a day for the transfer so I did it the day before I picked it up. The seller did email me a copy of a bill of sale before hand but held onto the titles till I picked up the boat and trailer. With all the bank draft scams going on this again was at my banks suggestion. Also bank draft can take more time to clear.

Back