Admundson Trend X5 Drag Issues

fshnfnatic

Hey guys.Just came back from a short trip on the water to try out my new TMX5 reel.First thing I did before I
took it out was take it apart and liberally grease up the springs,O-ring and oil the handles the same as I regularly do with the old Shimano 4000 GT's.First time I attempted to drop the line down with the new reel
I set the drag fairly lightly and started to let it down in deep water over 200 ft.Things were going fine until I sped up the drop a bit more and then I witnessed the drag knob start to slowly back off on its own until the reel
freespooled and spun out of control,birdnesting.I fixed the birdsnest and tried dropping it again to only see the same thing happening again.It seems that when the spool gets spinning at a certain velocity,the knob backs off all on its own.I'm now home again and just testing it by pulling line off the reel by hand quickly does the same thing.I tried removing excess grease to see if that was causing it to no avail.I'm wondering if any of you who run these reels have had this happen to you. Perhaps an issue with the drag system?Any ideas as to what to try?Thanks for any help you can give me!

Thanks for the prompt reply,Stormtrooper.I didn't touch the drag barrel as I don't own a set of snap ring pliers which are needed for disassembly.I studied the schematics and I think I may know what the trouble is.The drag stack is composed of 3 different washers like most drag systems similar to these.The carbon washers are sandwiched between an eared metal washer and a round washer with an oblong hole in the center.The outermost washer should be a round/oblong holed one according to the schematics but has an eared washer there instead.It was obviously taken apart at sometime as there was visible signs of lube in the drag barrel when I first took apart the reel.I'll see if I can track down snap ring pliers and clean and reassemble the drag stack.
Does this sound like it could have caused the problem?Thanks for your expertice on this Stormtrooper,as I know you had a big part in the development of this reel.FF

Thanks again Stormtrooper.I purchased it new from gone Fishn' in Nanaimo and am sure they will make things right if I cant figure it out here myself.Interesting that this drag system is designed to run dry.I haven't had a reel with carbon fiber drag washers that didn't benefit with the addition of some Cal's Drag Grease,but if that's the way you recommend,I'll certainly do it.I should also add that this particular reel came spooled with Maxima Ultragreen and set up for left hand retrieve so I'm wondering if it was a return for the same reason we're discussing here.Does PNT in Parksville carry the Disk Kits?I'm also interested in putting the Delrin Paddle Handles on this reel as well.I live down island in Duncan and would be looking to have those items shipped if possible.

Thanks again for the reply.I'm picking up a set of snap ring pliers tomorrow and I'll have a look at that drag stack.I'll also call Alex at the shop to confirm the drag washer order to see if that's the trouble.I'm somehow thinking it is so hopefully that's all it is and i can start enjoying that reel.

Well,as I suspected,it was the order of the metal drag washers that was the culprit.Switched the eared washer on the outside last position to the round washer with the oblong hole and it works as it should.There was no grease inside the drag stack at all,just on the outer washer.I suspect that this reel had been a return due to the same issues and somehow in the Christmas kaoss at the store that day,it ended up being resold to me.No harm done and it gave me the opportunity to get to know the functioning of the reel.I'll get some Delrin paddles and some spare drag disks for it and I'll be set.Respooled it today and man it seems to take a **** ton of line.I says on the box it takes 660 yards of 17 lb. test which seems like an odd test of line to be ever spooling on a large arbour reel like that.I'm guessing it took close to 400 yards of 30 lb. Ultragreen to fill it.Thanks again for your help Stormtrooper!

Back