Additional Bow Tie Down?

bigdogg1

Hi there, I once had a larger boat (26') that came with a turnbuckle tie down from the trailer to the bow ring. I always thought this was a good idea as the idea of a winch strap and a safety chain alway seemed minimal at best to me. I have done a lot of internet research into the pro's and con's of turnbuckles, a second web strap, bow ropes around the bow and trailer. etc. What, if anything, have others done to secure the bow better? I do a lot of travel over the hump and to and from various ports carrying a 24'er and welcome your opinions. Regards.

I have a heavy duty hatchet strap that I use more to stop the up and down bounce on my 23ft, if the boat backs off the winch tower. It's also just another redundancy to keep the boat on the trailer.

I use a heavy duty turnbuckle thats mounted to the winch tower, then have a bungee stretched thru it so it can't undo while traveling.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BoatBuckle-reg-Retracting-Transom-Tie-Down/737481.uts

I use this on the bow of my 5000 lb boat. They sell them as pairs for stern or singles for bow eyes. They have different capacity models. Holds the boat down on the trailer when you hit rough spots on the road. Been using mine for 10 years and its still great. In addition to your safety chain its a 3rd means to keep the boat on the trailer if all else fails. I mounted mine below the eye so the boat is ratcheted down on the the trailer as well as forward by the winch. Helps keep the boat on the trailer more stable. Very quick to attach/release/ratchet up.

those are pretty cool pescador......10 years seems like they are pretty well constructed also

Thanks for the link...I'm sold

For travel I have a 6000 lb ratchet cargo strap over the bow to the trailer and for the safety chain I have a 12000 lb turnbuckle. never a problem.

I run a 2" ratchet strap over the bow but mostly to stop the bow from bouncing going down the road.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BoatBuckle-reg-Retracting-Transom-Tie-Down/737481.uts

I use this on the bow of my 5000 lb boat. They sell them as pairs for stern or singles for bow eyes. They have different capacity models. Holds the boat down on the trailer when you hit rough spots on the road. Been using mine for 10 years and its still great. In addition to your safety chain its a 3rd means to keep the boat on the trailer if all else fails. I mounted mine below the eye so the boat is ratcheted down on the the trailer as well as forward by the winch. Helps keep the boat on the trailer more stable. Very quick to attach/release/ratchet up.
Thanks! Just ordered the single bow strap - looks awesome! Easy to amortize the cost over the price of peace of mind.

DSC01466.JPG
Thanks! Just ordered the single bow strap - looks awesome! Easy to amortize the cost over the price of peace of mind.

I can see the use of this piece of kit-BUT all your tie down capacity relies on one piece--the eye bolt on your boat bow-I certainly use it with my turn buckle but the 6000 lb cargo strap does not rely on the boat eye but is totally independent-holds the bow down on the trailer and will not slide back-even if the Bow eye fails!! Just my take on it-one should never rely on one piece of gear-just my 2 cents

Last edited:
turn buckle tie down! I have your previous boat bigdog1 and would now not have it any other way.

:) It was actually your post from Kyuquot that reminded me of the turnbuckle that the Striper had! Thinking about pre-launching 20' from the water must have been crazy! Nice fish by the way.

Boat looked good in the pix.

Back