Ace Line Hauler Capacity

CR Bill

I fish 2 traps per line and add about 3 to 5 lbs weight per trap. Often fishing in big tides about 400 foot depth and am often missing the zone I want my traps in. How much weight can the Ace Line Hauler handle?

I do 8lbs/trap in big currents with no issues. Keep the engine running and don’t forget to use a 40amp fuse on the puller side.
Power is the biggest thing. I do find current and wind puts a huge load on the puller though. I offset my ropes on my bauer traps so they come up sideways. I also keep the kicker in gear to stay over the traps. I've killed a few Aces already. Static weight doesn't seem to affect it nearly as much as the dynamic force of the water.

At soon as we kept a person on the helm and the trap line vertical, we had no issues with the ace hauler on two deep traps.
Blew a bunch of fuses and was frustrated by the slow retrieval rate before figuring this out.

At soon as we kept a person on the helm and the trap line vertical, we had no issues with the ace hauler on two deep traps.
Blew a bunch of fuses and was frustrated by the slow retrieval rate before figuring this out.
And people always ask me why I'm so obsessed with having a good reverse on my kicker

did you have the 40 amp fuse when they kept blowing?

I used 2 traps each with 5 lbs lead and a 18 pound cannon ball. I did have a gear head break and got replaced and has been good since.( 2nd use of new puller) I think there was a factory flaw
The new motor sure pull constantly. The older ones would slow almost to a stop pulling in big wave and these ones keep going

No, and still don't.
After hand hauling a couple of strings, I want to baby my hauler.
My thoughts are that if you need the 40 amp fuse, something is not right.
I have a 40amp cct breaker and it kept popping hauling up. Took apart the female Scotty connector and found the wiring was all corroded and green. Cut it back 6” and cleaned everything up and coated with dielectric grease. Now it hauls faster and have not had the cct breaker pop since. Good lesson. Should probably check every couple of years.
I was also prawning with some family a few weeks ago so used some older round mesh traps I have. Did not realize how much extra resistance and blow back those have over the Bauer type. Especially if drifting a bit.

I switch power between stb side downrigger and scotty trap puller, 30 amp fuse. String of two Bauer 24" traps with 5 lb lead in each, plus 8 lb weight before traps and another 5 lb after. Haven't popped a fuse pulling traps, but as others have noted, positioning the boat to pull vertically makes a big difference in retrieve speed. Drift makes a big difference, the drag of the traps through the water is serious. Plus you're retrieving fewer feet of fully loaded rope if you use engine power to keep the boat over the traps.

Back